Home Defense Rifle. - Page 3

Home Defense Rifle.

This is a discussion on Home Defense Rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I much prefer the AR over the AK. That said, inside my house they stay in the safe. There is ALWAYS a 12ga. with an ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Defense Rifle.

I much prefer the AR over the AK. That said, inside my house they stay in the safe. There is ALWAYS a 12ga. with an 18.5" barrel and cylinder choke loaded full of 00 buck though. Not to mention the glory of John Browning on the nightstand
    Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of ones youth, blessed is he who has a quiver full of them.They will not be ashamed, they will speak with thier enemies at the gate.

Psalm 127:4-5

Go with whichever rifle you are the most use to, the middle of the night with an intruder in the house is no time to try and remember how to work the weapon.

Ammo selection is better for the 5.56x45mm (.223 Remington) than for the 5.45x39mm, but either rifle will get the job done.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Give me a high-lumen light that will blind them momentarily while I ID them, determine if they're armed, and any other factors that may need to be addressed, instead of trying to scare them with a tacticool lazer.
    +1 -- Works for Target Identification. And at 235 Lumens causes availing glare. I personally think the strobe option is gimmicky. But I'll be testing that out in the next Force on Force class I attend.

Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumberguy View Post
    I much prefer the AR over the AK. That said, inside my house they stay in the safe. There is ALWAYS a 12ga. with an 18.5" barrel and cylinder choke loaded full of 00 buck though. Not to mention the glory of John Browning on the nightstand
    I agree with ALMOST everything....except I load mine with #5 or #6 shot....it is devastating at interior home range, and will not penetrate walls like 00 buck...just my .02
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

From a static position I much prefer the shotgun for home defense.

I use a 12 Guage, but the 20 works too. Mine is loaded with 00. If I was worried about overpenetration I'd load #4's in it. I have a brick home, so penetration isn't as much of a concern.

If the shotgun doesn't do the trick, the M4 is loaded and nearby too. The shotgun buys me time to get the M4. If it gets that bad, I want something with some range, as I intend to be keeping people off my lawn.

The AR/M4 is more manuverable than the shotgun. I can, although I would prefer not to, clear my house with the M4. While it can be done with a shotgun, it's not a good option IMHO. If I actually had to clear the house with a firearm, I would prefer a handgun due to it's versatility and ability to be shot one handed.

Since you were asking about a weapon to use from a fixed position, top of the stairs IIRC, I would look at the shotgun. The shotgun is used when power is needed, IMO. I use the shotgun because I am the last line of defense in my home. If they get past me, that leaves the other residents of the home at the badguy's mercy. In my mind, that leaves no room for the attackers having the ability to continue in a forward motion. Thus, give me the shotgun.

One can argue that follow-up shots are faster with the rifle, and I will concede that point to a degree. The moderately trained individual can however learn to be very effective with the shotgun in an afternoon. The rifle has a longer range, but in a home defense scenario I don't see it being a matter of range so much, as a matter of power. It also takes longer IME to learn to be moderately accurate and quick with the rifle.

Of the two rifle platforms listed I'd go with the AR/M4 in 5.56/.223.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    I agree with ALMOST everything....except I load mine with #5 or #6 shot....it is devastating at interior home range, and will not penetrate walls like 00 buck...just my .02
    Birdshot is for birds. It might make a gruesome surface wound, but it lacks the penetration to reach the vital organs.

There's truly no such thing as a free lunch. Anything that can penetrate the human body to the degree needed to reach the vital organs and incapacitate an assailant will penetrate interior walls with ease.

Check out the Box O' Truth for some interesting experiments with shotgun loads. The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links