Colt AR-15

This is a discussion on Colt AR-15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Colt AR-15 SP1 Sporter Carbine (16 inch barrel) that was manufactured in approx. 1977 (serial #69,___that is in near new condition. Does ...

Thread: Colt AR-15

Colt AR-15

I have a Colt AR-15 SP1 Sporter Carbine (16 inch barrel) that was manufactured in approx. 1977 (serial #69,___that is in near new condition. Does anyone know what the value of a gun like this would be?

2. Remove Ads

I'll give you a $1.00 for it, you can send it to me C.O.D. if you want.

Seriously, I don't know. But with the political climate we are trudging through right now it may be priceless.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Since you are so close I will just drive it out to you!

SN 143,xxx is for sale on GunsAmerica for $1700....But with Rock River giving away Elite Tacticals for $1090, I guess it is all about the buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by LtMac View Post
    ....But with Rock River giving away Elite Tacticals for $1090, I guess it is all about the buyer.
    Kind of like a new Z28 Camaro being equivalent to an original 1969 Camaro. Might be better or the same but it will never be a 69.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    It's a Colt. They hardly ever lose their value.

Do you have a Pre1983 ban M16 lower.... well talk about that one haha
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    Kind of like a new Z28 Camaro being equivalent to an original 1969 Camaro. Might be better or the same but it will never be a 69.
    In this case it would be in the eyes of the beholder. True, the RRA is not a Colt SP1, but this Colt SP1 is not:

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    ... a Pre1983 ban M16 lower....
    So, it really is all about what a buyer will pay. Now, if you have a 69 Baldwin Motion SS427 for sale, then we can talk... Otherwise I think I will pass over the SP1 for the RRA....

To the OP, if you post it on GA, you may find a buyer for it for a great price...and I hope you do.

I have an SP-1 with a serial number in the 28,000 range. A fellow at a local gun show said it was a "green label" Colt and pestered me to bring it so he could purchase it. My rifle was used when I purchased it in the 1980s and no longer had its original box so I had no clue what he was talking about. He claimed that the receivers made prior to some time in the late 1970s aren't blocked from full auto parts installation capabilities and so are more desirable. He claimed that these early semi-auto SP-1 rifles may be legally converted to full auto due to this feature. I think he has a hole in his head. He had some similar Colts for sale for over $2000. I have noticed that he's set up several times at shows in the past year and still has them.

I'm unfamiliar with Colt revisions of the AR 15 through the years and couldn't care less about full-auto. $1500 ought to buy one all day long. $420 ought to buy one but times have changed since I purchased mine.

My cousin bought one like yours for 800 last summer
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I have an SP-1 with a serial number in the 28,000 range. A fellow at a local gun show said it was a "green label" Colt and pestered me to bring it so he could purchase it. My rifle was used when I purchased it in the 1980s and no longer had its original box so I had no clue what he was talking about. He claimed that the receivers made prior to some time in the late 1970s aren't blocked from full auto parts installation capabilities and so are more desirable. He claimed that these early semi-auto SP-1 rifles may be legally converted to full auto due to this feature. I think he has a hole in his head. He had some similar Colts for sale for over $2000. I have noticed that he's set up several times at shows in the past year and still has them.

I'm unfamiliar with Colt revisions of the AR 15 through the years and couldn't care less about full-auto. $1500 ought to buy one all day long. $420 ought to buy one but times have changed since I purchased mine.
    Even tho the green labels don't have the block It is Illegal to convert them to select fire for private ownership/sale.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

Sell it to the guy and buy another one. Sounds like easy money to me!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Even tho the green labels don't have the block It is Illegal to convert them to select fire for private ownership/sale.
    That doesn't change the desire of some to pay good money to have the ability.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    I have a Colt AR-15 SP1 Sporter Carbine (16 inch barrel) that was manufactured in approx. 1977 (serial #69,___that is in near new condition. Does anyone know what the value of a gun like this would be?
    These older models now have "collecter/nostalgia " value.

An SP1 carbine - in original and excellent condition should EASILY sell for $1000 +.

Because of the internal configuration of the older SP1' s it is Easier to install a LEGAL autosear or lightning link if you wish to create a legal , papered, NFA weapon.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links