My AR Mods, with pics!

This is a discussion on My AR Mods, with pics! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to a very good gun show with a friend today. We both have AR's and we were both looking for some things for them. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My AR Mods, with pics!

My AR Mods, with pics!

Went to a very good gun show with a friend today. We both have AR's and we were both looking for some things for them. I wanted an improved pistol grip as I dislike the standard one that comes on most AR platform rifles. I also wanted a quad rail.

Well, what I ended up walking out with was one ERGO pistol grip, one AIM Sports aluminum quad rail (standard, not a free float) and a vertical fore grip that I honestly can't remember the manufacturer of. It is one that converts to a bi-pod as well as being a vertical fore grip. I also picked up 3 Magpull 30 round PMags for $15 each. All total I spent less than $160 and got nearly everything I wanted for my AR. Now I just want some flip up rear iron sights, a red dot sight and maybe at some point a scop just for the heck of it. And of course now I want a light and a laser to hang on the quad rail. (this can be addicting!)

I sat down with my with my wife, who was just as jazzed as I was about what I picked up, and we put the quad rail on together and I installed the new pistol grip and vertical fore grip. It all took about 20 minutes to do with her help and we had a good time.

Here is a before picture when I had not done anything to the gun at all yet:

And here are some pics of what it looks like now. The sling was suggested by Orangevol on here and I really like it.

With no rail covers and the fore grip in the bi-pod configuration.

Rail covers removed.

Quad rail close up.

Pistol grip close up.

Over all shot with the rail covers installed.......

I think I've got a good start on my dream AR. I like it and the aluminum quad rail adds a bit of weight to the gun but I really like the way it feels now. Seems much more solid and I think it actually has a better balance to it. And the vertical fore grip really helps in handling.
    I love the feel of the new pistol grip. I am very happy with the way it turned out so far.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Looks great, sounds like you happened on some nice deals also!

Nice! I finally got my rear BUIS today in the mail...I will have to take some pics tomorrow and put them up...all im missing not is the T-1!!! $$$$
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Nice work...

You'll want to experiment with the location of your VFG... especially depending on how far out your run your buttstock, and where your dressed gun balances now.

Glad to see you did the 2-point sling. The 3-point seems out of date and clumsy, and the 1-point is pretty specialized.

And when you get around to a red-dot sight, don't skimp... go Aimpoint or EOTech. Definitely worth the investment.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    TN_Mike...lookin' good!!!

Warning: Accessorizing your AR will be habit forming!!!
    Proud NRA member

RMS
    TN_Mike...I like the set up. Was this the gun show at Nashvile? I was at the Nashville show yesterday. It was a great show. I picked up some Gunzilla that I have been hearing so much about.

Lookin' good! I'll give you a +1 on that pistol grip (other than the color). IMO....that's one of the first things to do to one's AR15 if they really plan on shooting it.

Very nice!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Nice accessory collection...
    As it's in the pic, how do you like your new safe?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    TN_Mike...lookin' good!!!

Warning: Accessorizing your AR will be habit forming!!!
    I have found out already that it is habit forming and I am hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by RMS View Post
    TN_Mike...I like the set up. Was this the gun show at Nashvile? I was at the Nashville show yesterday. It was a great show. I picked up some Gunzilla that I have been hearing so much about.
    Nope, it was in East Memphis, almost German Town at the Agri Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Lookin' good! I'll give you a +1 on that pistol grip (other than the color). IMO....that's one of the first things to do to one's AR15 if they really plan on shooting it.
    What's wrong with the color Ramrod? I like the Tan, kind of sets it apart. I want to get some desert tan rail covers to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice accessory collection...
    As it's in the pic, how do you like your new safe?
    Thanks Ret. And I love the safe. I really like the peace of mind it gives.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Looks good Mike... I know accessorizing these things can be addicting and expensive. My M&P15 started out just like your Stag and this is what I ended up with!

A firearm that cost me around 1,050 dollars and I dumped an additional.... almost 700 dollars into it.

EOtech 512
    Precision Reflex Inc. rear BUIS
    Tango Down VFG
    Troy Industries quad rail hand guards
    VTAC 2 point quick adjust sling
    Streamlight TLR-1 weapon light (not on rifle in picture)
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Nice subnine! I like it. Let me make one suggestion to you. Get a better ergonomic pistol grip on that AR. You will be amazed at how much better it feels and handles.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Here's mine right now, just finished it around Christmas - haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm already ordering more and more stuff.

It's a Charles Daly Defense lower with Vltor EMOD, Daniel Defense DDM4 upper, 12" DD Omega X rail and DD VFG. I've got 10 PMAGs for now (don't anticipate buying any more, but you never know!), and some Magpul/Viking Tactics/Surefire bits coming in the mail.

TN Mike. I had a DPMS that looked very much like your Stag when you started. I suspect the Stag is a much better shooter.

SubNine & Chooie. Nice looking Rifles! Is that a DDM4 Chooie? Or another rifle with the OmegaX 12.0 Rail, and Daniel Defense Rear Sight?

I finally "Finished" mine tonight.

Started as - a Daniel Defense M4

Next add the light - A Fenix PD30 in a Viking Tactics mount

Finally add some LaRue-Aid - And AimPoint CompML3
    Mindset - Tactics - Skills - Equipment
    http://www.ingunowners.com
    W9ZEB dot Org

Nice! I want an AR sooo bad I can taste it. I have 2 AKs and want to get rid of one so I can buy a AR rifle. I have been thinking seriously about the Ruger SR-556.

This is my M-92 Krink...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links