Pistol Guy needs long gun advice! - Page 2

Pistol Guy needs long gun advice!

This is a discussion on Pistol Guy needs long gun advice! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Your sig line suggests that three out of five of your pistols are Glocks. You also have an SKS. I'm ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Guy needs long gun advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Your sig line suggests that three out of five of your pistols are Glocks. You also have an SKS. I'm also assuming you have some ammo in 7.62x39. Taking all of this into account along with what you said that's most important to me in giving you my opinion..... I'm going to say get an AK47. Seriously. Plenty of AR15s in this world now....almost everybody makes one in some form or another, and a lot of U.S. manufacturers. The AK47 gets harder to find all of the time, and imports are rare now due to strict legislation. It's not difficult to find a quality AR15 carbine these days despite the price tags, but finding quality AKs these days is. The AR15 may be the SHTF rifle of choice statistically, but personally, I wouldn't categorize it as the number one 'survival' rifle to have so long as the AK47 is still obtainable despite the weight difference in ammo and carrying it. The design of the AR15 to this day (even though it's changing slowly), seems to make it fragile compared to the AK47 and it's variants. Ask anyone what the weaknesses are of the AR15 in general and you'll get some replies from the honest. Ask anyone the weaknesses of the AK47, get out your Snicker's bar, and stand by. There is no caliber debate, no effective range debate to be had as far as I'm concerned. The AK47 is just simply a better weapon than the AR15. Be that as it may. I'm just sayin'. (you know I'm cruisin' for a bruisin' here), but I'm willing to take it.
    You are right on the Money Ram Rod. I couldn't have said it any better.
    I have the top of the Line AR, But the carbine I would trust my life with and the one that I will grab when TSHTF is my crappy cheap AK. I have been through several Tactical rifle classes with it and it has never failed me, wile the AR where having multitude of problems.
    also they are cheaper to shoot 762x39 is down to $200.00 a case now. And since the OP already has an SKS (also a very reliable and outstanding rifle) It just makes that much more sense.

OK let the punches fly
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    FAL. Packs a heck of a punch. Mil-surplus 308 is still a cheap-ish round. You can also use the somewhat powerful 308 ammo in a bolt action semi-long range hunting rifle also if you ever plan on getting something like a Savage 10FP. The FAL doesn't need the forward assist knob that the AR-15's and AR-10's have, because it doesn't have direct blowback like the AR's.

Between the two you listed (AR vs AK), I would choose a better quality AK, such as the Yugo or Arsenal, skip the cheaper WASR's. They're cheaper and more reliable than an AR in my opinion and more suited for the SHTF scenerio. Sure the AR's are probably more accurate but if long range plinking is what you're into, I'd get a dedicated long range plinker.

Since I'm rambling, I almost talked myself into buying a S&W M&P tacticle AR style once, but the ball and chain put the kabash on me spending $1700.

Check out Classic Arms, they usually have an interesting selection of military style rifles at somewhat low prices. Classic Arms Inc...
    [QUOTE=jwhite75;1446538]Ok...in 223....that Sig 556 is the stuff. Very nice. I agree with Angry Bill...308 is really a great round. Go for a Springfield M1A...like these.

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am definitely in this camp. Especially if you deer hunt, the .308 is in a class by itself, when trying to compare it to the other rifle calibers you metioned.

There is a reason the government kept it around soooo long after the introduction of the "Black Rifle", IT(the .308) put the enemy DOWN for the count for good.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I agree with Ram Rod's: "no caliber debate, no effective range debate..."

For general purposes and intermediate ranges I like the 7.62X39 much better than I do the .223/5.56 NATO, a middling varmint cartridge. I'm also not all that keen on the AR 15 which is monumentally overrated. It functions reasonably well but isn't the do all and end all of the semi-auto world. I too think it's a bit fragile and personally am not a big fan of its ergonomics.

I like these two best of all. The big .30s are always appropriate.

M1

M1A

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I agree with Ram Rod's: "no caliber debate, no effective range debate..."

For general purposes and intermediate ranges I like the 7.62X39 much better than I do the .223/5.56 NATO, a middling varmint cartridge. I'm also not all that keen on the AR 15 which is monumentally overrated. It functions reasonably well but isn't the do all and end all of the semi-auto world. I too think it's a bit fragile and personally am not a big fan of its ergonomics.

I like these two best of all. The big .30s are always appropriate.

M1

M1A
    I like my ARs, but I lust for an M1A.

Nothing else really says "get off my lawn" like a Garand...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

oooh yeah...me tooooo!!!
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If you want an AR, get one. If you want one you can neglect as much as an AK, get one with a piston upper (almost everyone makes one now). If you want one with more punch, get an AR in 6.5 or 6.8 caliber. If you want even more punch, buy an AR-10 in 308.

If you want to keep to the same caliber as your SKS, get an AK. They aren't as accurate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    I want to purchase an assault rifle while I still can (democrats in power) & need advice on what to get...

I have a bunch of handguns and have carried about 4 years. My pistol knowledge and experience is very good. I grew up hunting and I'm fine with long guns and shotguns but don't have experience with assault rifles. I inherited a SKS, but I'm leaning toward a .223 for this purchase. If the overwhelming consensus is AK-47 I would do that but figure the US standard is .223

I'm thinking hard about Sig Sauer 556 and read that they have a 516 coming out. Or I could get an AR. I'm not looking for a collection of guns, just wanted to get one with a few mags and ammo.
    Any thoughts?
    What would you get and why?
    First off you need the CLEO in your area to be willing to sign off on fully automatic weapons........................................... ...............

Oh wait, you don't want a fully automatic weapon? Sorry, I can't help you, as anything less than a weapons system that fires less than or equal to one round for each pull of the trigger is not an "assault weapon".

Biker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    I want to purchase an assault rifle while I still can (democrats in power) & need advice on what to get...

I have a bunch of handguns and have carried about 4 years. My pistol knowledge and experience is very good. I grew up hunting and I'm fine with long guns and shotguns but don't have experience with assault rifles. I inherited a SKS, but I'm leaning toward a .223 for this purchase. If the overwhelming consensus is AK-47 I would do that but figure the US standard is .223

I'm thinking hard about Sig Sauer 556 and read that they have a 516 coming out. Or I could get an AR. I'm not looking for a collection of guns, just wanted to get one with a few mags and ammo.
    Any thoughts?
    What would you get and why?
    Nothing wrong with an SIG 556. About 8 variations in stock.

You might look at some others. Mostly Polish and Romaian made but far less expensive.

I have an AK74, 5.45x39 (not AK-47)

C93 Sem-Auto 5.56x45mm (.223) 40 rd. 16.5" bbl. (nice)

If you want something larger, A GP Wasp-10 Hi-Cap w/ collapsible stock might be for you. 7.62X39mm.

Several others at very reasonable prices.

888-745-2080
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Sorry, I can't help you, as anything less than a weapons system that fires less than or equal to one round for each pull of the trigger is not an "assault weapon".

Biker
    There's one in every crowd.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I started wanting an EBR too. For me I stuck with the .223 for cost and availability of ammo and because I had another rifle already chambered in .223 for varmits. I didn't want to add another caliber to my line up. I've decided on my calibers and plan on sticking with my core group of calibers.

I'm retired military so I have some time behind an AR styled weapon and they have become so popular I expect parts to be readily available although I don't expect to need any.

I ended up buying a Stag Arms Model 2 and really like it. I put an Eotech on top, mounted a surefire light and vertical forearm grip and it's good.

I think AK's are great but didn't want to learn another platform, so for me it was a number of practical considerations.

Truthfully, I just wanted one. I don't think I'll live to see the proverbial SHTF scenario we hear about constantly and if we did I think the Marlin lever action .357 rifle would be more than adequate along with my pistols.

The only other reason I had for buying my AR is that I believe with all my heart that before I die it'll be illegal to buy one. You mention assault weapon but I consider those to be fully auto. Unfortuanately the liberals and the media call any semi that looks militaryish to be an assualt weapon and I expect them to be banned soon.

I think everyone should own at least one. I just hope my kids can keep mine legally after I'm gone!!

Gideon

I wrestled with this a lot, eventually went AK (Romanian WASR-10). Why? Half the cost of an AR. I can get some of the best ammo for in that caliber that it will shoot reliably for cheap (Yugo M67 and Wolf HP Mil Classic at .30 round or less). So for less than others spend on just a rifle I have a rifle and 1500 rounds of effective two-legged critter ammunition. The only purpose of this gun is to sit around and wait for the end of the world, which I reckon at less than 5% chance to happen in the next 10 years.

Gotchas: M67 is semi-corrosive so you have to clean after each range trip. Whats the point in an AK you have clean :) ?
    All the russian ammo is banned at most indoor ranges because of steel in the jacket; and even the only public outdoor range in spitting distance bans it.

Other people made great points about .30-.30. Ammo selection and availability is great there and it is a very effective round and the lever carbines are light and versatile. Only downsides is of course capacity and you can't really keep the sights on the target while working a lever action with most that I have seen (or most people that I have known who shoot them, I do not).

I consider other things like Ruger Mini-14, Saiga .223 etc and I won't go into all the detailed thought I put into it, if you really want to know feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    FAL. Packs a heck of a punch. Mil-surplus 308 is still a cheap-ish round. You can also use the somewhat powerful 308 ammo in a bolt action semi-long range hunting rifle also if you ever plan on getting something like a Savage 10FP. The FAL doesn't need the forward assist knob that the AR-15's and AR-10's have, because it doesn't have direct blowback like the AR's.

Between the two you listed (AR vs AK), I would choose a better quality AK, such as the Yugo or Arsenal, skip the cheaper WASR's. They're cheaper and more reliable than an AR in my opinion and more suited for the SHTF scenerio. Sure the AR's are probably more accurate but if long range plinking is what you're into, I'd get a dedicated long range plinker.

Since I'm rambling, I almost talked myself into buying a S&W M&P tacticle AR style once, but the ball and chain put the kabash on me spending $1700.

Check out Classic Arms, they usually have an interesting selection of military style rifles at somewhat low prices. Classic Arms Inc...

My Armalite AR10T does not have forward assist, and has not needed it...

I doubt anyone will need a forward assist if they only shoot at the range and clean their weapon on a regular basis. The liabilities and mitigations of the direct gas impingement system are well documented on the internets in many threads and articles. I wouldn't let it decide which rifle I buy. I also wouldn't leave it out of the decision making process.

My AR 15 is a Colt SP-1 and has no forward assist. I haven't missed anything without forward assist.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

well put... AARP posters with Clint Eastwood and the Garand.. the bottom says Armed And Really Pi$$ed
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links