Pistol Guy needs long gun advice!

This is a discussion on Pistol Guy needs long gun advice! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to purchase an assault rifle while I still can (democrats in power) & need advice on what to get... I have a bunch ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I want to purchase an assault rifle while I still can (democrats in power) & need advice on what to get...

I have a bunch of handguns and have carried about 4 years. My pistol knowledge and experience is very good. I grew up hunting and I'm fine with long guns and shotguns but don't have experience with assault rifles. I inherited a SKS, but I'm leaning toward a .223 for this purchase. If the overwhelming consensus is AK-47 I would do that but figure the US standard is .223

I'm thinking hard about Sig Sauer 556 and read that they have a 516 coming out. Or I could get an AR. I'm not looking for a collection of guns, just wanted to get one with a few mags and ammo.
    Any thoughts?
    What would you get and why?
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    We just got in a shipment of the Sig 556....and it ROCKS...gas piston...fit and finish that is pure Sig....battle sites included...red dot included...ultimately 556 rifle IMO.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Doc,
    There are a few options for the rifle. I like the short gun version of the "SWAT Patrol" configuration. What do you recommend?
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

For the money, I'm very happy with my Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    build your own

www.spikestactical.com

Save your money...
    I had an AR and sold it. I was able to buy a Marlin 30-30 in stainless, and a Henry Rifle in .22 mag...still had money left over.

What is it that an AR can do in my neighborhood that I can't do with my 30-30?

But I do understand, sometimes ya' just have to have one..
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What is it that an AR can do in my neighborhood that I can't do with my 30-30?

But I do understand, sometimes ya' just have to have one..
    I've got the 30/30 too & never felt the need to "Go Tactical." but the 2nd line is where it's at... I started thinking about it and thought- man, I'll regret it if there's another gun ban (like 1994.)
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c

FAL. Packs a heck of a punch. Mil-surplus 308 is still a cheap-ish round. You can also use the somewhat powerful 308 ammo in a bolt action semi-long range hunting rifle also if you ever plan on getting something like a Savage 10FP. The FAL doesn't need the forward assist knob that the AR-15's and AR-10's have, because it doesn't have direct blowback like the AR's.

Between the two you listed (AR vs AK), I would choose a better quality AK, such as the Yugo or Arsenal, skip the cheaper WASR's. They're cheaper and more reliable than an AR in my opinion and more suited for the SHTF scenerio. Sure the AR's are probably more accurate but if long range plinking is what you're into, I'd get a dedicated long range plinker.

Since I'm rambling, I almost talked myself into buying a S&W M&P tacticle AR style once, but the ball and chain put the kabash on me spending $1700.

Check out Classic Arms, they usually have an interesting selection of military style rifles at somewhat low prices. http://www.classicarms.us/..
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Ok...in 223....that Sig 556 is the stuff. Very nice. I agree with Angry Bill...308 is really a great round. Go for a Springfield M1A...like these.

Springfield M1A Scout Squad AA9126 NEW ! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Springfield M1A Socom 16 Rifle .308 - AA9626 - NIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Mic
    I would have to reccomend a Ruger ranch rifle, it stil can be clasified as a sport/hunting rifle so most "assault weapon" bans wouldn't hurt you.

But if its a true assault weapon you want you have many opyions, Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS or Ruger SR556, you can even build your own, most of these options are gona run you $1500 and up, Olympic arms sells most for under $900.

Then there is the relitivly new 6.8mm on the market, little more punch than the 5.56mm/.223, might want to look into that

Try giving www.gunsamerica.com a look, even if you dont buy from that site its a good resurch tool and give you a idea of what you want to spend.

Personaly I like the ranch rifle for all around needs
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Ok...in 223....that Sig 556 is the stuff. Very nice. I agree with Angry Bill...308 is really a great round. Go for a Springfield M1A...like these.

Springfield M1A Scout Squad AA9126 NEW ! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Springfield M1A Socom 16 Rifle .308 - AA9626 - NIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    I didn't know SOCOM's were that "cheap"....Last time I saw one it was about $2800. There must be diff grades & such I'm unfamiliar with.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

The AR platform has matured dramatically, and a properly-manufactured and assembled one is a hard-working, reliable weapon. Among the best are Colt, Smith + Wesson LE, Bravo Company, LWRC and Noveske. Unfortunately, there are some cheapies out there that will ruin your day with poor quality and reliability. A good AR will poke a hole in a kilobuck.

Where an AR carbine shines is in its ability to rain well-aimed fire reliably on targets within a few hundred yards. It's a light, compact carbine and there is a host of stuff you can accessorize it with; some of that stuff is actually worth having (e.g., an Aimpoint or EOTech red-dot sight)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Stick with something fairly common if you're just going to have 1 for now. I'm voting for the mini-14, AR, or yes, even a good old lever gun in .30-30 or .44mag.

I have one these for sale, it's a 21.8 inch barrel tho.
    Russian American Armory

Your sig line suggests that three out of five of your pistols are Glocks. You also have an SKS. I'm also assuming you have some ammo in 7.62x39. Taking all of this into account along with what you said that's most important to me in giving you my opinion.....
    I want to purchase an assault rifle while I still can (democrats in power) & need advice on what to get...
    I'm going to say get an AK47. Seriously. Plenty of AR15s in this world now....almost everybody makes one in some form or another, and a lot of U.S. manufacturers. The AK47 gets harder to find all of the time, and imports are rare now due to strict legislation. It's not difficult to find a quality AR15 carbine these days despite the price tags, but finding quality AKs these days is. The AR15 may be the SHTF rifle of choice statistically, but personally, I wouldn't categorize it as the number one 'survival' rifle to have so long as the AK47 is still obtainable despite the weight difference in ammo and carrying it. The design of the AR15 to this day (even though it's changing slowly), seems to make it fragile compared to the AK47 and it's variants. Ask anyone what the weaknesses are of the AR15 in general and you'll get some replies from the honest. Ask anyone the weaknesses of the AK47, get out your Snicker's bar, and stand by. There is no caliber debate, no effective range debate to be had as far as I'm concerned. The AK47 is just simply a better weapon than the AR15. Be that as it may. I'm just sayin'. (you know I'm cruisin' for a bruisin' here), but I'm willing to take it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links