Your Thoughts on a Sig 5.56 Rifle?

This is a discussion on Your Thoughts on a Sig 5.56 Rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw a rifle today at the gun store that I fell madly in love with. I have never shot a Sig Rifle, so Im ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on a Sig 5.56 Rifle?

Question Your Thoughts on a Sig 5.56 Rifle?

I saw a rifle today at the gun store that I fell madly in love with.
    I have never shot a Sig Rifle, so Im hoping some of you fine folks have experience with it. Lord knows I have shot just about all of the Sig Sauer model pistols, and own two Sig pistols myself. My daily carry handgun is the Sig 229-R DA/SA.

They have a regular model and a SBR model that I really like. I know the SBR model will take some extra paperwork and money for the tax stamp, but damn. What a beauty!

I have AR's and M4's. But sometimes you want something different, but compatible.

Here are a few pics of one I got off a google search:
    Last edited by Sig229; January 13th, 2010 at 03:39 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    They shoot so well that I may have to have one someday.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    A standard AR would be a more sensible way to spend the money. AR will be the standard for rifles of the military variety for the next decade or more and parts are easily interchangeable and plentiful.

www.spikestactical.com make some GREAT stuff and truly have the absolute best customer service in the industry.

That SBR with the folding stock looks pretty danged compact. I don't think you could go wrong with a SIG.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    A standard AR would be a more sensible way to spend the money. AR will be the standard for rifles of the military variety for the next decade or more and parts are easily interchangeable and plentiful.

www.spikestactical.com make some GREAT stuff and truly have the absolute best customer service in the industry.
    Yes, I am a huge fan of the AR series rifles and I have three already.
    Kinda want to mix it up a bit and get something new. I of course will keep my AR's.

A big plus also, is that the Sig 556 rifles also accept M16 magazines. So that would save a lot of money too. Wouldn't have to buy new mags.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I try hard not to think about them.........so stop with the photos, because I really want one bad but I am fighting the temptation so close to the end of the holidays.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Sig229,

I am an owner of one and I personally love mine.

Accurate, extremely well built/durable in engineering design and best of all unlike an AR/M16 it does not require a tenth of the normal operation maintenance to to stay operable AND it's manner of operation is simpler/less complex.

Best of all IMHO is it's human ergonomic design.
    I have never been an AR fan, long before all the DI hate came to be, as simply due to it's ergonomics. Including the location and overall function of it's charging handle.
    The Sig 55X series has none of these issues and is very ergonomic as well as being lefty friendly, as for those of that population percentage. It is a comfortable weapon system to shoulder and fire.

The only down sides are that it weighs a full pound more than a _stripped_ AR15, which really is no big deal on the whole considering people carry AKs and M1As with no complaint and they weigh same or even more. The weight though is balanced and it well soaks up felt recoil to a degree that follow on shots are dead nuts on regardless of hold type or body positioning.
    The second down side is that replacement parts are right now a factory only affair. Not that it's a big deal to secure parts now as from Sig. Further unlike an AR the parts mean time to failure rating is much higher which means you won't need to be replacing stuff so often and there are no rubber nor metal o-rings nor extractors and such to replace so that parts availability argument which is quite commonly stated is functionally a moot point.

I have the complaint states 'SCM' model which is a 16" carbine with no muzzle brake and came with fixed and shrouded front sight (which I actually prefer to a folding type).
    Personally I prefer mine to all the models available and even if I had been in a free state I'd have sought out an SCM as rather than the others including that of the 'Classic'.
    I am this year very seriously considering ordering a factory Sig 556 SBR which they now produce OEM. I'm waiting to see how this Bushmaster/Remington ACR product washes out as at SHOT.

I'd made threads on the 556 including a complete breakdown of the product last year for the sake of info sharing as it is very new to most people in the US.
    In Canada, South America and most the rest of the world this gun is nothing new as it has been around greater than 30 yrs. known as the model 550 (rifle), 551 (carbine), 552 (SMG/PDW variant with specific action design) and the 553 (SMG/PDW with same action design as the 550 & 551).

I would buy again and suggest same to those who are either open minded, not AR/M16/M4 indoctrinated to the point of blindness to any and all other options, not due to profession required to run an AR and those who do not care that they won't be just like their buddy and his AR.
    It's not for everyone nor every application, same as the AR, but it is a very fine weapon system and as good as the AR if not better all the way around as in function, mechanics and durability.

January 9th, 2009, 02:44 AM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...556#post976020

Note: I just noticed for the first time MitchellCT's post here and as the thread is now closed due to age I have no means to respond.
    Basically he went off on some tangent for no reason at all. If you read my second pot there _in full_ I had stated that the nomenclature of "SCM" does NOT stant for State of ct Model as at that time some folks on the net had theorized. This dude went off on all manner of CT law detail for no reason what so ever. Further I'm not even a ct resident and never have been. A complete waste of time on his side. Ignore all that from him.

July 11th, 2009, 02:38 PM
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...?highlight=550

Run a search as this firearm has been discussed in multiple threads and as compared to other options including AR, AK and FAL too.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; January 13th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    I have and love one as well. It is by far the best (most reliable, most accurate, easiest to maintain and use) of any semi-auto/full-auto I have owned or shot. The next one I buy will be the Sig 556 DMR. I've just got to have it!

It has a 21" barrel, and an adjustable comb and butt on the stock. It can be tailor fit to you.

I have a friend who has one, and that thing is pin-point accurate, even at distance.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sigmanluke; January 13th, 2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I too am interested in the Sig 556, may even wait and see how the new 516 will perform.

Agreed SML...Stupid easy caveman simple it is to maintain.

No tools required but a coin or spent shell casing which can be found literally anywhere.

It runs without half the oil an AR requires (I use Brian Enos' 'Slide Glide' grease on mine) and will run all day long.
    No forward assist required, no feed ramps to be concerned about, no magazine feeding sensitivity issues, no DI gasses direct to the face when firing, no nothing but bang bang bang bang...Reload.

Oh and contrary to wide belief and erroneous statement on the net, the 55X series is not in function like an AK. It's more closely resembles that of an FAL.
    No more so than that say a Ruger 5.56 is like an AK operating system...even as that system is pretty much a direct knock off of how the Sig 55x series functions though I have yet to read of anyone anywhere comparing that system to an AK (?).
    This becomes exceedingly clear and obvious once you actually crack open a 556 in person and compare it's internals and function to that of an AK directly.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    "Your Thoughts on a Sig 5.56 Rifle?"

My thoughts are that I'd absolutely love to own one.

If I was not already so heavily invested in Galil...SIG would be the rifle I would buy.

Exclamation $300 REBATE on SIG 556 Through 03.08.10!

$300 Rebate* on SIG556 Rifles!
    45 DAYS ONLY!
    Purchase by March 8, 2010

Get your SIG556 rifle at the lowest price ever**

The SIG556 rifle delivers unmatched reliability with its stainless steel upper, hardened steel monoblock,
    threaded to a cold hammer forged barrel. A two position gas valve practically eliminates carbon build-up
    and ensures reliable function under the most extreme conditions.

This is a limited time offer!

Purchase your SIG556 from your dealer today!

url=https://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/SIG556-300%20Rebate%20Form.pdf]Click here[/url] to download your rebate form.

*Offer includes all SIG556 rifle models (excludes P556 pistols).Cannot be combined with any other offer. Purchase must
    be made by March 8, 2010. Visit our website or contact SIG SAUER Customer Service at 1 (866) 619-1128 to get your
    rebate coupon. Rebate forms must be received by March 22, 2010. ** Lowest price after $300 rebate.

Source - 556 Rebate
    - Janq

Wow thanks for the heads up!

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a few months now, and I think Janq's post just made my mind up for me.

The rebate form oddly has no statement of a start date.

I tried to call their toll-free number to inquire, three times, but keep getting a fast busy.
    I'm going to send in a rebate form as against my own rifle as bought this month last year. I still have the serial number sticker attached to the case and always keep the original receipt inside my gun cases as toward potential future warranty need.

All they can say is; 'No can do. :p

- Janq

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links