Off the wall shotgun questions. - Page 2

Off the wall shotgun questions.

This is a discussion on Off the wall shotgun questions. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Would replacing your barrel with a shorter one give a wider pattern at that range? This is more another question than an answer....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off the wall shotgun questions.

Distinguished Member
    Would replacing your barrel with a shorter one give a wider pattern at that range? This is more another question than an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Would replacing your barrel with a shorter one give a wider pattern at that range? This is more another question than an answer.
    Shotgun barrels are like rifle barrels in that some prefer different loads but barrel length has verry little to do with pattern. Choke and ammo are the two biggest contributers to pattern.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Senior Moderator
    Would replacing your barrel with a shorter one give a wider pattern at that range? This is more another question than an answer
    A short barrel with a tight choke will shoot a tighter pattern than a long barrel with a more open choke.

Many home defense shotguns have 18-20 inch barrels. Anything built in the last decade will have screw in chokes, so that you can change it to whatever fits the situation. The shorter barrels in the HD shotguns are easier to handle and manipulate in close quarters.

For the best pattern, a person really need to pattern the shotgun with both different loads and different chokes. The thing is, a Remington shot-shell may pattern very tightly with a full choke but a Winchester might scatter it all over the place or vice versa. You don't know what it will do until you actually pattern it.
    A modified choke may actually shoot a tighter pattern with buckshot than a full choke. There really are no set rules when patterning except that it requires a lot of experimentation to know how your shot gun will react.

Most people just buy a HD shotgun, shoot a load of two of buck at a target, and let the rough end drag.Even so, the bad guy walking down your hall at 2 in the morning wont know any difference when you shoot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    If the barrel is already a cylinder bore barrel (no choke), length will have little effect on shot pattern. In fact, a shorter barrel could even result in a tighter pattern as the shot would be in contact with the metal of the barrel for less time and thus deform less. This is rarely a problem with modern ammunition as most current production ammo uses a shot cup with petals to protect the shot from the metal of the barrel.

I can think of 3 ways to cause a shot pattern to spread out more assuming you already have a cylinder bore barrel.
    1. Do not use ammunition with shot buffer.
    2. Either try and find ammo to buy without a shot cup or reload some ammo using only over-powder and over-shot wads without a shot cup.
    3. Have your barrel threaded for chokes and put in a rifled choke or buy a replacement barrel for your gun that is rifled. What a rifled barrel will do to the spread of shot has to be seen to be believed. I always knew the rifling would have an effect because it would cause excessive deformation of the pellets but I had no idea how drastically it would effect the pattern until we ran some tests. Suffice it to say you wouldn't want to use a rifled barrel or choke in your house unless you didn't mind killing every piece of furniture and electronics in your living room.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ..............Even so, the bad guy walking down your hall at 2 in the morning wont know any difference when you shoot.
    That's probably the most succinct, accurate and logical statement of everything said in this thread.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

My Mossberg 500 has Tacstar mount too. I shot about 100 slugs and the mount hasn't moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Lyman Corp makes a good metal clamp to mount a flashlight to your shottie. It goes under the name of TacStar.

I have one of these, it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Just a few quick questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a clamp that will actually work in securing a tac light under my 12 gauge? I've gone through two of the plastic "figure eight" ones. Junk.
    Consider the Barrel/Magazine clamp from Mesa Tactical, or the one from Nordic Components.
    3. Don't intend to start a forum war but I was somewhat surprised that shooting double 0 buckshot, even out to fifty feet gave a very tight pattern. I.e. you need to be almost as accurate as if it were a pistol or rifle.
    Yes. You do - especially at typical home defense distances, and especially in the home setting.
    ...Is there such a thing as putting an open choke on a home defense shotgun to spread the pattern more? Would it be more advantageous to use a smaller pellet (NOT birdshot)?
    Most purpose-constructed 18.5" and 20" tactical, combat or HD barrels are already either Cylinder or Improved Cylinder fixed choke - about as open as it gets. Spread is about 1" per yard from the muzzle out to about 15 yards, where shot size and shell design start becoming more of a factor in the spread of the pattern. I use #1 Buck, but not because it spreads more. I use it because it puts more lead on target than #00, with more holes, and full penetration with less overpenetration.
    ...I also understand that can make more collateral damage but, heck, if you are unleashing a shotgun at a bad guy, who's really thinking about collateral damage? Seriously.
    You should be. Seriously. Know your target and what is beyond. If you plan on using lethal force, you need to be aware of what lies beyond and around your target - even under stress.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I'm in the pattern your shotgun group. Just for reference: my Rem 1187 with 18" barrel at 10 yds will keep the Federal Flite-Control 00 buck as one big chunk of lead while the Rem Express 00 buck has about a 10" pattern at 10 yds. Might be a place to start if you want a more open pattern with 00 buck. I'd check out the #4 too. Might also consider which load lets you get back on target the quickest as well. Figure out what's the longest shot you have in your home when deciding what you want to do.

Distinguished Member
    Guys, excellent advice from all. Did get the metal clamps and should arrive this week. On a similar note, I am also realizing that there is an art to "aiming" a pistol grip shotgun. Often my pattern goes high. So I am going out in the field to continue to work on improving my aim. I am also considering putting the stock back on my hd shotgun though it become less wielding in a close environment.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links