Defensive Carry banner

Off the wall shotgun questions.

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  aznav 
#1 ·
Just a few quick questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a clamp that will actually work in securing a tac light under my 12 gauge? I've gone through two of the plastic "figure eight" ones. Junk.
2. Can anyone recommend a "case" that will hold a shotgun, broken down, say 25x8x4 that would fit in a suitcase and can be locked? I do travel and on more than one occasion had to pay a full baggage fee for my regular shotgun case. It would be nice if one would fit in a standard suitcase. Haven't found one yet.
3. Don't intend to start a forum war but I was somewhat surprised that shooting double 0 buckshot, even out to fifty feet gave a very tight pattern. I.e. you need to be almost as accurate as if it were a pistol or rifle. Is there such a thing as putting an open choke on a home defense shotgun to spread the pattern more? Would it be more advantageous to use a smaller pellet (NOT birdshot)? I also understand that can make more collateral damage but, heck, if you are unleashing a shotgun at a bad guy, who's really thinking about collateral damage? Seriously.

#2 ·
Some people have recommended #4 buckshot. I have a box, but haven't patterned it, yet

#3 ·
Lyman Corp makes a good metal clamp to mount a flashlight to your shottie. It goes under the name of TacStar.

#4 Buck has proven to be pretty good, and what I use at work. I prefer 00 and have my home defense shotgun patterned for such.

Biker

#8 ·
Lyman Corp makes a good metal clamp to mount a flashlight to your shottie. It goes under the name of TacStar.
#4 Buck has proven to be pretty good, and what I use at work. I prefer 00 and have my home defense shotgun patterned for such.

Biker
I have one of these, it works well.

#4 ·
Check out www.cdmgear.com for your light mount. Scott's work is top notch, I have the BMT clamp on my 870. It's also suprisingly light. Dont know about question two. Lastly I prefer a tight pattern not so much to stop collateral damage but because 9 hits with 00 is better than 4 or 5. If you want more open patterns look for cheaper shells with no shot cup like the OD mil-spec stuff in the plain cardboard box. Possibly Fiochi or S&B. There is a choke called a "Spreader" choke that has negative constriction. Try tuelock or briley they're probably kind of expensive though.

#5 ·
18.5" cylinder bore barrel will let the 00 open up a little more,but you don't want too large a pattern due to collateral damage you are responsible for,You might try looking for a gun case made for broken down O/U shotguns

#7 ·
You want as many pellets as possible striking your target. Yes, you have to aim a shotgun. To think otherwise is to show ones experience with shotguns.

I have my Mossberg loaded with Federal Flightcontrol 00 buck. Out to 25 yards all pellets will be on target, just where you want them to be.

#9 ·
#4 Buck and T or minimum BB sized birdshot.

For HD events you're only talking 15 yds. (45 ft.) on the outside with most often events being at half that distance and less.
At HD distances pretty much every _quality_ shell of any given projectile typr and size will be in a close group of pattern even out of a cylinder bore.

Beyond 15 yds./45 ft. either go elsewhere or get a rifle.

- Janq

#12 ·
I found this little jewel in the box-o-parts at one of my local gun shops late last year. Ten bucks and I'm happy. You never know what a few minutes time spent will net you in the long run. Some of what you may come across has already been overlooked by others. I love the hunt. I couldn't tell you the manufacturer, but I can give pics.

#17 ·
Shotgun barrels are like rifle barrels in that some prefer different loads but barrel length has verry little to do with pattern. Choke and ammo are the two biggest contributers to pattern.

#18 ·
Would replacing your barrel with a shorter one give a wider pattern at that range? This is more another question than an answer
A short barrel with a tight choke will shoot a tighter pattern than a long barrel with a more open choke.

Many home defense shotguns have 18-20 inch barrels. Anything built in the last decade will have screw in chokes, so that you can change it to whatever fits the situation. The shorter barrels in the HD shotguns are easier to handle and manipulate in close quarters.

For the best pattern, a person really need to pattern the shotgun with both different loads and different chokes. The thing is, a Remington shot-shell may pattern very tightly with a full choke but a Winchester might scatter it all over the place or vice versa. You don't know what it will do until you actually pattern it.
A modified choke may actually shoot a tighter pattern with buckshot than a full choke. There really are no set rules when patterning except that it requires a lot of experimentation to know how your shot gun will react.

Most people just buy a HD shotgun, shoot a load of two of buck at a target, and let the rough end drag.Even so, the bad guy walking down your hall at 2 in the morning wont know any difference when you shoot.

#20 ·
..............Even so, the bad guy walking down your hall at 2 in the morning wont know any difference when you shoot.
That's probably the most succinct, accurate and logical statement of everything said in this thread.

Hoss

#22 ·
Just a few quick questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a clamp that will actually work in securing a tac light under my 12 gauge? I've gone through two of the plastic "figure eight" ones. Junk.
Consider the Barrel/Magazine clamp from Mesa Tactical, or the one from Nordic Components.
3. Don't intend to start a forum war but I was somewhat surprised that shooting double 0 buckshot, even out to fifty feet gave a very tight pattern. I.e. you need to be almost as accurate as if it were a pistol or rifle.
Yes. You do - especially at typical home defense distances, and especially in the home setting.
...Is there such a thing as putting an open choke on a home defense shotgun to spread the pattern more? Would it be more advantageous to use a smaller pellet (NOT birdshot)?
Most purpose-constructed 18.5" and 20" tactical, combat or HD barrels are already either Cylinder or Improved Cylinder fixed choke - about as open as it gets. Spread is about 1" per yard from the muzzle out to about 15 yards, where shot size and shell design start becoming more of a factor in the spread of the pattern. I use #1 Buck, but not because it spreads more. I use it because it puts more lead on target than #00, with more holes, and full penetration with less overpenetration.
...I also understand that can make more collateral damage but, heck, if you are unleashing a shotgun at a bad guy, who's really thinking about collateral damage? Seriously.
You should be. Seriously. Know your target and what is beyond. If you plan on using lethal force, you need to be aware of what lies beyond and around your target - even under stress.

#23 ·
I'm in the pattern your shotgun group. Just for reference: my Rem 1187 with 18" barrel at 10 yds will keep the Federal Flite-Control 00 buck as one big chunk of lead while the Rem Express 00 buck has about a 10" pattern at 10 yds. Might be a place to start if you want a more open pattern with 00 buck. I'd check out the #4 too. Might also consider which load lets you get back on target the quickest as well. Figure out what's the longest shot you have in your home when deciding what you want to do.

#24 ·
Guys, excellent advice from all. Did get the metal clamps and should arrive this week. On a similar note, I am also realizing that there is an art to "aiming" a pistol grip shotgun. Often my pattern goes high. So I am going out in the field to continue to work on improving my aim. I am also considering putting the stock back on my hd shotgun though it become less wielding in a close environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.