Off the wall shotgun questions.

This is a discussion on Off the wall shotgun questions. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just a few quick questions: 1. Can anyone recommend a clamp that will actually work in securing a tac light under my 12 gauge? I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off the wall shotgun questions.

Distinguished Member

Off the wall shotgun questions.

Just a few quick questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a clamp that will actually work in securing a tac light under my 12 gauge? I've gone through two of the plastic "figure eight" ones. Junk.
    2. Can anyone recommend a "case" that will hold a shotgun, broken down, say 25x8x4 that would fit in a suitcase and can be locked? I do travel and on more than one occasion had to pay a full baggage fee for my regular shotgun case. It would be nice if one would fit in a standard suitcase. Haven't found one yet.
    3. Don't intend to start a forum war but I was somewhat surprised that shooting double 0 buckshot, even out to fifty feet gave a very tight pattern. I.e. you need to be almost as accurate as if it were a pistol or rifle. Is there such a thing as putting an open choke on a home defense shotgun to spread the pattern more? Would it be more advantageous to use a smaller pellet (NOT birdshot)? I also understand that can make more collateral damage but, heck, if you are unleashing a shotgun at a bad guy, who's really thinking about collateral damage? Seriously.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Some people have recommended #4 buckshot. I have a box, but haven't patterned it, yet
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Lyman Corp makes a good metal clamp to mount a flashlight to your shottie. It goes under the name of TacStar.

#4 Buck has proven to be pretty good, and what I use at work. I prefer 00 and have my home defense shotgun patterned for such.

Biker

Check out www.cdmgear.com for your light mount. Scott's work is top notch, I have the BMT clamp on my 870. It's also suprisingly light. Dont know about question two. Lastly I prefer a tight pattern not so much to stop collateral damage but because 9 hits with 00 is better than 4 or 5. If you want more open patterns look for cheaper shells with no shot cup like the OD mil-spec stuff in the plain cardboard box. Possibly Fiochi or S&B. There is a choke called a "Spreader" choke that has negative constriction. Try tuelock or briley they're probably kind of expensive though.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

18.5" cylinder bore barrel will let the 00 open up a little more,but you don't want too large a pattern due to collateral damage you are responsible for,You might try looking for a gun case made for broken down O/U shotguns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Many thanks, guys. Next day off I will peruse those sites.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    You want as many pellets as possible striking your target. Yes, you have to aim a shotgun. To think otherwise is to show ones experience with shotguns.

I have my Mossberg loaded with Federal Flightcontrol 00 buck. Out to 25 yards all pellets will be on target, just where you want them to be.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Lyman Corp makes a good metal clamp to mount a flashlight to your shottie. It goes under the name of TacStar.
    #4 Buck has proven to be pretty good, and what I use at work. I prefer 00 and have my home defense shotgun patterned for such.

Biker
    I have one of these, it works well.

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

#4 Buck and T or minimum BB sized birdshot.

For HD events you're only talking 15 yds. (45 ft.) on the outside with most often events being at half that distance and less.
    At HD distances pretty much every _quality_ shell of any given projectile typr and size will be in a close group of pattern even out of a cylinder bore.

Beyond 15 yds./45 ft. either go elsewhere or get a rifle.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

DrJ
    Check out the LumaForce light and mount. Very nice light with tough metal mount, and pretty good price.
    Shot Gun Weapon Light System - LumaForce 300 Lumen Flashlight + Mount

I found this little jewel in the box-o-parts at one of my local gun shops late last year. Ten bucks and I'm happy. You never know what a few minutes time spent will net you in the long run. Some of what you may come across has already been overlooked by others. I love the hunt. I couldn't tell you the manufacturer, but I can give pics.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I found this little jewel in the box-o-parts at one of my local gun shops late last year. Ten bucks and I'm happy. You never know what a few minutes time spent will net you in the long run. Some of what you may come across has already been overlooked by others. I love the hunt. I couldn't tell you the manufacturer, but I can give pics.

Dang, Ram. That is sweet! I'll trade you my two Green Lantern comics for it.

Try one of the TacStar mounts. They are made of steel and pretty tough.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

i use #4 buckshot in my hD shotgun. very impressive pattern . I have killed probably 20 running deer with #4 also . It works well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links