Question about front sight, Marlin 1894C

This is a discussion on Question about front sight, Marlin 1894C within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a Marlin 1894C in .357 on layaway finally I'd already bought a Skinner rear peep sight for it. I want to put a ...

Thread: Question about front sight, Marlin 1894C

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I've got a Marlin 1894C in .357 on layaway finally

I'd already bought a Skinner rear peep sight for it. I want to put a fiber optic sight on the front to help my aging eyes

I suspect some of you may likely have the same gun and rear sight so I was wondering if any of you have installed a fiber optic front sight to go along with a skinner rear sight?

If so can you tell me what make you bought for the front and what height it is?

I guess I should get the gun, install the skinner rear sight and then try it. If the front sight is "okay" and I can get the gun sighted in, then I can buy any front sight thats the same hight or a hair taller and be okay.

I just thought I'd ask in case you've been there and done that and can tell me. then I could have the right front sight on hand when I get the gun off layaway.

Thanks for any help!

God Bless
    Gideon

1894C

G:

Can't help with your question, but you are going to enjoy the Marlin. I got one last fall and its a blast to shoot.

I also had some problem seeing the sights, but went a different direction and ended up with an XS Lever Scope mount and a Leuopold FX II scout scope that turned out to be a sweet setup.

I'm with you on that friend. I want to try the peep sight w/front fiber optic but my back up plan is a Leupold 2-7x x 28 Ultralight scope. It's only 10" and very very light which would make it an very compact scope for that gun. Something I think it needs.

But I'm going to try the peep/fiber optic to see if that'll be good for my purposes.

Do you use your's other than at the range?

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting it and I'm planning on taking up reloading if only in .38/.357 to begin with.

Gideon

1894C

Mine has only killed paper so far and most of that with .38 special reloads.

I ended up sighting in with a PPC revolver load -
    125 gr JHP's with 5.5 gr of Win 231 - nice, tame, and pretty accurate .

The Marlin manual says not to use wad cutters and I can confirm that they do not feed from the magazine tube!

Congrats on the new family member. I have had my Marlin 1894cs 38/357 for over 15 yrs. Still looks like the day I bought her. They are great rifles for sure.
    Some of these new loads are good as well too.

Thanks for the congrats but she's not home yet, still on layaway. I'm actually buying of the internet and from Bud's Gun Shop so I'm still waiting to see how it all turns out.

I'd much rather buy in person but the guy I normally buy form hasn't been able to get one for over a year. Bud's all of a sudden got some in at a really good price so I'm taking a chance with them. We'll see!
    Gideon

Senior Moderator
    just thought I'd ask in case you've been there and done that and can tell me.
    BTDT.
    I put a "Williams Firesight" that I got from Midway on my Marlin .444. The front sight has the red optic fiber in it and is easily replaced.

The back is a "peep" sight which I dearly love. The peep has a tapered base that allows you to move the elevation of the sight up or down to match the height of the front sight.

I dont know the height of the Skinner peep, but the replaceable front sight with the fiber sight on it ought to be compatible with the peep sight.

I took a pair of dial calipers and measured the top of the front sight, and then adjusted my back sight to match. Three shots later I was shooting dead center at 50 yards, the range that most of my deer are shot at.

The cost was 30 bucks and well worth it. When looking through the peep, that orange fiber looks pretty bright out in the woods, definatley much better than the rear sight with the original black post that I had a hard time seeing in the woods.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I did replace the iron front site of my Marlin 336SS with a fiber optic front site...works for these six decade old eyes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links