Because sometimes you just have to...

This is a discussion on Because sometimes you just have to... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, as a "Welcome Home from Iraq" present to myself, I bought a Noveske SPR. This was a limited run version of their stainless 18"bbl ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Because sometimes you just have to...

VIP Member

Because sometimes you just have to...

So, as a "Welcome Home from Iraq" present to myself, I bought a Noveske SPR. This was a limited run version of their stainless 18"bbl SPR (seen here: Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons.) that came with a few extra goodies and is in "flat dark earth" (AKA tan). As everyone knows, FDE is the new black when you want to be tacti-cool and up the CDI factor, so I was sold.

The sling is a V-Tac (highly recommended), and the scope is a Leupold VX-1 2-7x that I carried on my M4 in Afghanistan for 13 months. The rest is basically as described in the link.

I recently had a chance to put a few rounds through it, get the optics zeroed, and blast a few soda cans... The thing is a work of art. It's smooth, it's scary accurate, it had no bobbles in 200 rounds of mixed 55gr M183 and 62 gr M855 (and with the 20 rounds of MK262 77gr OTM that I used to zero with and test accuracy a bit). Yes, I need to put better optics on it to really wring out its potential, but at 200m (the farthest I was shooting) the battered Leupold was sufficient.

What can I say - it's expensive, but sometimes it's just worth spending the extra dollar (or thousand...)

qks
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Beautiful gun and welcome home. Your service is appreciated.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    How do you like the sling on the QD on the side of the emod? I haven't figured out yet how best to attach mine in the back - I'm going to use the slot on the top and a QD up front. Any opinions on one mounting point vs. the other?

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Welcome home, and I say if it worked for you over there, it's probably good enough to keep around here too. Not to many times you need pinpoint accuracy over 200m.

And thank you for serving.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Thank you for your service

Nice rifle and great choice on the sling... after trying the VTAC 2 point sling I will never go back to a single point.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Thanks for your service...
    Congrats on your fine new rifle...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Thanks for the "welcome homes." Just to clarify, I didn't carry this in Iraq (for most of my tour I carried what might be considered it's opposite - a 10" bbl AR made by LMT). I had a V-TAC on that one, too, though... I agree that it's the best two-point sling out there, and that the two-point is the most versatile and is best for most applications.

As for the mounting points - I can't really render an informed opinion yet. I like it the way it is, but I haven't carried this rifle much, and not at all under "adverse conditions." I can't find any fault with the way it sits now in theory, but I'd have to put it through some serious paces before I made a solid recommendation one way or the other. I do like the QD feature, though, if only because it makes popping the sling off for cleaning so easy!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Beautiful!

BTW... I dig the battered scope. It fits well.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Mmmmmmm.................Noveske. Yum.

Congratulations on your new purchase. Welcome home, I hope all that follow you make it home safe also...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Welcome Home, Nice rifle there. You earned it! I salute you and all our troops...

Thank you for your service. Btw, I just uploaded a Thank You to the military in the Off Topic section of the forum...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...l-forward.html
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

So, as a "Welcome Home from Iraq" present to myself, I bought a Noveske SPR.
    You deserve it brother. Welcome home.

Color me extremely green with envy. Very, Very nice.

And more importantly, welcome home and thank you.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The rifle is very well deserved. Congratulations, Thank You for Your Service, and enjoy your new rifle. Very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links