Mossberg or Maverick - Page 2

Mossberg or Maverick

This is a discussion on Mossberg or Maverick within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by qdoggydogg Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun, and if you look around you can get the combo for under $300 with the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qdoggydogg View Post
    Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun, and if you look around you can get the combo for under $300 with the 28 and 18.5 barrels, so if you want to shoot some ducks you are all over it!!
    I have looked but where would you suggest? Because Big named dealers want $499+ with just one barrel???
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Moss
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

The mavericks are made of cheaper quality parts than the mossbergs

Only in the sense that the stock, trigger guard, and forearm are made with cheaper materials (polymer). All other internals are identical, save for the safety which is a crossbolt on a Maverick rather than a tang on the Mossberg.

Quality wise, I wouldn't say that one is inferior to the other. Some find the Mossberg 500 to be more ergonomic than the Maverick, and it certainly is prettier.

I own both. The Maverick is the dedicated bump in the night gun, while the Mossberg is the hunting shotgun. This was decided after a lot of shooting with both. In the end, the decision was that in a panic I felt I'd be able to operate the Maverick's crossbolt safety faster and more certain than I would the tang safety on the Mossberg. That, and I'd rather show up with my hunting buddies carrying a wood and blue steel shotgun than an all black polymer/steel one.

Either way, I'd trust both with my life.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Only in the sense that the stock, trigger guard, and forearm are made with cheaper materials (polymer). All other internals are identical, save for the safety which is a crossbolt on a Maverick rather than a tang on the Mossberg.

Quality wise, I wouldn't say that one is inferior to the other. Some find the Mossberg 500 to be more ergonomic than the Maverick, and it certainly is prettier.

I own both. The Maverick is the dedicated bump in the night gun, while the Mossberg is the hunting shotgun. This was decided after a lot of shooting with both. In the end, the decision was that in a panic I felt I'd be able to operate the Maverick's crossbolt safety faster and more certain than I would the tang safety on the Mossberg. That, and I'd rather show up with my hunting buddies carrying a wood and blue steel shotgun than an all black polymer/steel one.

Either way, I'd trust both with my life.
    errm.... The mossberg trigger assembly is polymer and unless you buy a 500A with wood the stock and forearm on the standard mossberg 500 is also polymer.

One complaint for broken parts on the berg is the tang safety can be broken on the 500's if the shotgun is dropped just right. It seems to drop "just right" often as this seems to be the number 1 repair reported.

The biggest complaint for mossbergs (and probably maverick) are for the forearm being noisey... not great for hunting.

That said I own a 500, 835 and 695. For the price there isn't anything else that comes even close.

Hmm, perhaps. I stand corrected. Only Mossberg's I've ever seen in stores had wood stocks. As for the trigger assembly/guard you are absolutely right, I guess it's been longer than I thought since the 500 has seen daylight outside of the safe.

And yes, the Maverick's forearm is just as noisy when racking as the 500...I consider that a plus for what I use the Maverick for...not so much the 500.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links