Mossberg or Maverick

Mossberg or Maverick

This is a discussion on Mossberg or Maverick within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was at the Birch Run Expo Gun show and they had a Mossberg Persuader 5+1 18.5 inch barrel for $300..... or a Maverick ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg or Maverick

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

Mossberg or Maverick

So I was at the Birch Run Expo Gun show and they had a Mossberg Persuader 5+1 18.5 inch barrel for $300..... or a Maverick 88 by Mossberg 7+1 20 inch barrel for $250 these are the two shotguns at the show. Anyone have any facts or issues/good things to say about either? Please state which one you are talking about.

Or should I get the Mossberg Persuader 7+1 20 inch from where ever i can find it cheaper? I just want a Reliable... Shotgun that holds enough rounds... Is 5+1 enough for home defense? I just recently heard of the Maverick line-up... Just not enough to know if it is good or not....
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CBcQ9QEwAw
    http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm
    I also plan on buying a 26 or 28 inch barrel for duck/rabbit/hunting..

Which one??? Please Help... Thanks ~Spec
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    I love the safety position on the 500. I hate the safety on the maverick. Aside from the trigger groups the guns are almost the same.

I would pick the 500.

I think that if 6 rounds of OO buck isn't enough then you got BIG problems. Another two rounds in the tube probably won't help you.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Administrator
    The 500 is the better gun, especially considering the $50. price difference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

From what I remember when I was looking for my HD Shotgun. The Moss and Maverick are the exact same thing. There are small differences. The trigger assembly is polymer on the Maverick. They feature a trigger guard mounted cross-bolt safety as opposed to a top tang safety. Early Model 88's were equipped with a single slide rail, but this was updated to a dual slide rail in 1990. Maverick 88's are factory finished with steel bluing only, whereas Mossberg 500's have factory blued, stainless steel or parkerized (receiver/barrel/magazine) options.

That being said all parts, minus the trigger group, interchange between the Mossberg and Maverick. They are the same gun, so no one is better. Unless, of course you don't want to purchase a foreign built gun.

I have a Security with an 18.5 barrel. I haven't added any modifications to it except a home-made light on the tube. I had an issue with fired shells getting stuck in the barrel every once in a while, but that was due to me not cleaning the gun well enough when I first purchased it. I find it hard to believe that they have gone up that much. I got mine for $150 at Bob's gun shop in VA in September of 07. I would say continue to look for a better deal.

FWIW.......I picked up a 12 ga. Moss 500A with a 24" rifled barrel w/adj. sights at Wally World last month for $227....bought an 18 1/2" cyl bbl from Cabela's for ~$80.....Now I can shoot sabots, rifled slugs and 00 buckshot 'til the cows come home (....or my shoulder falls off.....!)
    For the price, the 500 is hard to top......

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
    From what I remember when I was looking for my HD Shotgun. The Moss and Maverick are the exact same thing. There are small differences. The trigger assembly is polymer on the Maverick. They feature a trigger guard mounted cross-bolt safety as opposed to a top tang safety. Early Model 88's were equipped with a single slide rail, but this was updated to a dual slide rail in 1990. Maverick 88's are factory finished with steel bluing only, whereas Mossberg 500's have factory blued, stainless steel or parkerized (receiver/barrel/magazine) options.

That being said all parts, minus the trigger group, interchange between the Mossberg and Maverick. They are the same gun, so no one is better. Unless, of course you don't want to purchase a foreign built gun.

I have a Security with an 18.5 barrel. I haven't added any modifications to it except a home-made light on the tube. I had an issue with fired shells getting stuck in the barrel every once in a while, but that was due to me not cleaning the gun well enough when I first purchased it. I find it hard to believe that they have gone up that much. I got mine for $150 at Bob's gun shop in VA in September of 07. I would say continue to look for a better deal.
    Her in Michigan Gander Mountain wants $499 for this gun so I though that $300 was a good deal.... I what is the difference between the Security Model and the Persuader?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I what is the difference between the Security Model and the Persuader?
    I'm not sure... I believe one has a 20 and one has an 18.5, but I could be wrong. I've gone through CQB trainging at Blackwater's Facility in Moyock NC and can tell you that the smaller the long arm, the more efficient it is going through rooms. I'm not suggesting that you clear your house, but if you should so desire, the smaller the barrel, the better. Best of luck in your search!

My 1st shotgun I bought right after High School was a Maverick. It was a decent shotgun. But I own a Mossberg now! I prefer the BERG.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

TGC
    Wow, Mavericks here are priced under $200.

VIP Member
    Don't know much about maverick,
    Mossberg 500 12 with vented 28inch barrel, with rifled 24in.cantilever(for scope mount)slug barrel, was $300 or so in '93 at the Gibralter GS
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-2004)
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member
    The safety difference would do it for me. My trap gun has the safety on the trigger like is described for the Maverick, and my Mossberg HD is top mounted, much more intuitive.

Personally, I'd get a 7+1. It's really hard not to fumble somewhat when reloading under less than optimal conditions.

I'd also get a light mounted on it right from the git go. Just consider it part of the initial purchase. That way, no explaining to the spouse what the additional gun purchases are. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Her in Michigan Gander Mountain wants $499 for this gun so I though that $300 was a good deal.... I what is the difference between the Security Model and the Persuader?
    Find a walmart that still sells guns, they have the 26" maverick with the adjustable chokes for under $200.

Toss a $70 18.5" barrel in, or a $5 hacksaw blade and your golden.

Buy the second barrel and you have a dual purpose gun

Or go online to budsgunshop.com and pay the $35 ffl transfer at Gander Mountain.
    buds has a lot of mavericks for under $200
    Buds Mavericks
    I like the maverick more as I prefer the safety on the trigger guard. Its what I am used to

I have a Mossberg 500 with 5+1 capacity. I love the position of the safety and the slide release on it (behind the trigger guard, very easy to get at). It is a reliable shotgun that I would trust to get any job done that a 20" barreled shotgun should be able to do, and it was $350. Can't go wrong with one.

I would surely go with the 500. The US Navy uses tons of them. I feel like if the Navy has confidence in them, with the extreme conditions they might be subjected to on board ship, they are good enough for me.

Besides, I have one and it is a hell of a good home defense shotgun. And the safety is in the correct location.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun, and if you look around you can get the combo for under $300 with the 28 and 18.5 barrels, so if you want to shoot some ducks you are all over it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links