New Mossberg 500 Setup

This is a discussion on New Mossberg 500 Setup within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm with the K.I.S.S. crowd...gun and light, no T-grip, no cabbage grinders, no laser... But in all fairness, a nice shottie...enjoy!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Mossberg 500 Setup

I'm with the K.I.S.S. crowd...gun and light, no T-grip, no cabbage grinders, no laser...

But in all fairness, a nice shottie...enjoy!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    How does that thing work to reduce recoil exactly? What function does that knob on the top serve?
    There is no knob. The gun recoils along a track. There is a very solid spring. (you can't move it by hand, and you can't see it move)
    But it takes the shock off the wrist. Unscrew the stock grip, replace with the Knoxx.
    The only catch is the new Allen head screw is slightly off axis with the hole. So you need a 1/4" BALL END hex wrench. They are happy to sell you one, I just bought mine at the hardware store.

My friend who had shoulder surgery 2 weeks before I bought my knoxx was able to shoot comfortably through 6 rounds.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Nice looking guns

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    You've got it looking good. To many gadgets for my taste though.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    can someone say bubba?

Quote Originally Posted by VrodRay View Post
    Tacticool? I take it thatís an interesting way of trying to say the thing just looks good without purpose?
    Don't sweat it you will always get some of that. I know I do on mine but the fact is anyone who ever shoots it quickly understands why each of the mods are on it

Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Very nice. I have the 500 already, but like your barrel on it and the mako grip. I may be doing that soon to mine, but no laser for the time being. I still like my 357 on the night stand and am buying an ar-15 in about a week, but might as well tac this baby out too.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Don't sweat it you will always get some of that. I know I do on mine but the fact is anyone who ever shoots it quickly understands why each of the mods are on it

Ooo I like...

Nice purchase! ...but another one here for "way to much stuff on it" "tacticool" and "K.I.S.S.". I never understood the need to JUST have a pistol grip on a shotgun and no stock. A stock has way more use in home defense. Get a Knoxx stock on it at least, lose the laser and keep the flash light but thats just me. To each his own...congrats on the purchase!

ok I'll bite...
    The Laser I can understand not being everyone's taste, however I can't for the life of me understand why someone would not want a mounted flashlight on a HD shotgun...
    You are sleeping and hear a window break, someone in the next room...are you going to jump in the room and flip the light switch? and then get the loose hand back on the gun in time for a controlled shot?

Shotguns and rifles are way to big/long to be worring about a light switch.

Mounted lights are THE BEST thing you could do for HD shotgun and or rifle.

Agree 100% VrodRay
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    You've got waaaaaay too much crap strapped to that thing.

K.I.S.S.

I'll buy the flashlight, but its Nothing you can't do with $10
    If that clamp is plastic. Trust me, it's crap.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

How do you mean? I've had mine on for years without a single issue, and LOTS of range time, with plenty of 3" magnum shells spat out the barrel right past it without a complaint.

And it's plastic in the same way a Glock is plastic...it's that tough polymer stuff, I won't pretend to know what it's called. I won't argue with you that it's cheap, but I'm enjoying every dollar that I saved. Only problem I've ever had with it was when I first got it, firing the shotgun would cause the screw holding the clamp together to back out, causing my light to fly off. Everything survived, and a little locktite permanently fixed the problem. Thousands of shells and shredded targets later, and it's still right where I left it last. I can't complain.

For reference, and to begin a reply more directly suited to the topic at hand in this thread, here is the gun it is attached to.

I was into tacticool with this gun once too. First I had a pistol grip on it. Didn't take long before I realized how impractical that was. Ditched it and went with a top folding pistol grip combo deal, and a sling. Later ditched the sling, and then ditched the top folding stock too and went right back to the original. I can't tell you how much more natural feeling it is in my hands once I ditched all that crap. Now it's down to only what matters most. A short barrel, a flashlight, and a heatshield for extended range sessions.

There's nothing wrong with tacticool...or a pistol grip shotgun for that matter, but in my opinion it's not really necessary...or even preferred...for a HD shotgun. The less crap you have to deal with in a panic the better. I've got a bunch of pretty guns and some tacticool ones too but when something goes bump in the night it's the trusty ol' ugly simple black one by the bed that I'm grabbing first.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links