New Mossberg 500 Setup - Page 4

New Mossberg 500 Setup

This is a discussion on New Mossberg 500 Setup within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; More power if yours works! My light kept backing out when shot. Eventually, threads stripped the plastic. Had two plastic clamps and had the same ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Mossberg 500 Setup

Distinguished Member
    More power if yours works! My light kept backing out when shot. Eventually, threads stripped the plastic. Had two plastic clamps and had the same results with both.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    More power if yours works! My light kept backing out when shot. Eventually, threads stripped the plastic. Had two plastic clamps and had the same results with both.
    You may consider a MAKO T-Grip you can have it set so that just by grabbing the shotgun the light is on. By simply grabbing my shot gun the light and laser are on. The laser in case I need to take a shot before I have the gun properly mounted. The light so I can see of course. My light is a NovaTac with low high and strobe functions I use the strobe when searching. Strobe makes it harder for the perp to pinpoint you and is reputed to confuse the target. With the T-Grip you do need to use a one inch diameter flashlight. I added small washers to keep from drilling through the plastic if I over tightened and loctite to keep the screw from backing out
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I have been thinking about some of the K.I.S.S. comments as I am in agreement with the principle. Having been in involved in violent deadly encounters, I am fully aware of how quickly they can happen and the absolute need to have the ability to instantly respond to a threat. In viewing my gun and others like it I can see the complex appearance. In operation however it is no slower than a bare bones stock shot gun. It is fact faster. Fully loaded with five spare rounds it weighs in at 10.6 pounds not what I would call excessively heavy or cumbersome for a loaded home defense shotgun.
    By simply grabbing my weapon the light is on. A finger tap scanning the room while maintaining my firing grip turns the laser on in case I need to get a shot off before it is properly mounted. Once mounted both eyes open threat focused sighting with the red dot is faster than stock. The sight provides instant target acquisition the KNOXX stock and T-Grip reduce muzzle rise. The T-grip also smoothes speeds up cycling rounds. Accurate on target follow up shots out to 25 yards happen as fast as a round is chambered.
    These are all modifications that have happened over time. I had a pistol grip it did not work for me. I simply can not get accurate shots at any distance with a pistol grip, follow up shots were even worst. Ghost ring sights are just not as fast as the Red Dot so they have been replaced. Each modification happened over time. I bought stuff and tested it. What did not work got set aside. I did not just buy a shottie and add parts. The best thing that has happened for me is that for decades my shot gun sat most of the year. It got shot maybe six times a year. In the past few years it has become one of my favorite guns to shoot. So that the combined modifications and practice have made me more accurate and faster than I ever have been.
    I think the point I am trying to make is that most shotguns 870 and 500 series Mossbergs especially are excellent HD shotguns. They work great right out of the box. They do not need to be modified. But they can be made better and like ARs are infinitely customizable. I think that if you can articulate why a modification makes you more effective with your weapon than you should use it. If it causes you to get to know your weapon better and enjoy shooting more that is an added benefit, that will pay off, if the day ever comes that you need it for its intended purpose. Bottom line isn't that what we all want the most effective tool possible to defend our homes and loved ones?
    That said the most important thing we can modify is ourselves. The more we practice and train the better we become. In my mind anything that encourages us to enjoy, practice and train more with our shot guns is a good thing.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    You may consider a MAKO T-Grip you can have it set so that just by grabbing the shotgun the light is on. By simply grabbing my shot gun the light and laser are on. The laser in case I need to take a shot before I have the gun properly mounted. The light so I can see of course. My light is a NovaTac with low high and strobe functions I use the strobe when searching. Strobe makes it harder for the perp to pinpoint you and is reputed to confuse the target. With the T-Grip you do need to use a one inch diameter flashlight. I added small washers to keep from drilling through the plastic if I over tightened and loctite to keep the screw from backing out
    Can you walk me through (pics?) that? I just can't picture it but it does make mucho sense. tx!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Can you walk me through (pics?) that? I just can't picture it but it does make mucho sense. tx!

If you look at the pic the MAKO T-Grip has a trigger built into the grip. The simple act of grabbing the fore grip depresses the trigger turning the light on. If you look right above the Mako T- Grip you should be able to see the little orange laser button. At the same time you grab the Mako T-Grip you push that button with your left hand trigger finger. So grabbing the fore grip turns on the light your trigger finger activates the laser. Assuming you are right handed. You reach out, grab the shotgun with your left hand turning the light and laser on in one motion with your left hand. At the same time you are grabbing the firing/rear grip with your right hand. By doing nothing more than grabbing the shotgun You have instantly turned on the flashlight and laser. Giving your self instant lighted and (laser) sighted fire, as you bring your shotgun stock to your shoulder. Once there. Once properly mounted you of course you have the red dot sights, co witnessed by the laser. Able to keep both eyes open your peripheral vision intact, your target illuminated. As soon as the target is in your sights you fire. Due to the reduced muzzle rise and recoil along with the increased speed of racking a round due to the T-Grip your follow up shots are nearly instantaneous. What happens is that you the T-Grip and the KNOXX stock become part of a semi auto action. That is much faster and natural than racking a round after every shot.
    Hope that helps if not let me know I will take some step by step pics
    The one thing I failed to mention is that the batteries on my Red Dot last about 3 or 4 months constant on. I need to get a higher end one like an EOTech with a longer battery life. As it is I change batteries every three months.

To be clear what I was trying to say is we all have differences. The great thing about these forums and pics is we can show each other what works for us. Give each other ideas on ways to improve our equipment but ultimately we each have to decide what works for us individually. What works and is intuitive to me may be clumsy and alien to you and Visa Versa. Like I said I could not get a pistol grip to work for me. That does not mean it does not work for anyone. It only means it does not work for me. I think we should keep that in mind. My way is not the only right way, it is the only right way for me. The first step than is rather than condemn something out of hand is to try it. See if it works for us. If not that is OK but it still only goes to prove one thing that it does not work for us, it may work well for the other guy. Unless a product is complete crap but that is a whole different issue.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links