Need Your Help--Most reliable AR-15 rifle?

This is a discussion on Need Your Help--Most reliable AR-15 rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Spec I read an article on the Colt's platform that the troops have over sea's in the sandbox and they have been ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Your Help--Most reliable AR-15 rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I read an article on the Colt's platform that the troops have over sea's in the sandbox and they have been giving them problems. Jaming after a few hundred rounds... I not saying you will have those extreme conditions but I'm sure as heck not risking my life to find out. Especial if our military is supposed to be using the so called "best firearms" JMO though i could be wrong
    I have heard the same comment you made from a small group of Marines in Iraq whose rifles overheated from aprox. 2-3 hundred rounds being fired in aprox. 1 3/4 hrs. causing a misfeed!

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    Guys, the man wants a reliable rifle-length AR-15. He's even been gracious enough to specify its uses. If you aren't posting examples of reliable rifle-length AR-15s for his stated uses then seriously consider whether these ridiculous arguments about the "lowest bidder" and the "terribly unreliable AR-15" that we've had before, often, need to be rehashed again. For those who brought these up, I invite you to use the Search feature and read those previous arguments.

Cat-O-Matic: respectfully, you are mistaken. The weapons were not the issue at Wanat.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Guys, the man wants a reliable rifle-length AR-15. He's even been gracious enough to specify its uses. If you aren't posting examples of reliable rifle-length AR-15s for his stated uses then seriously consider whether these ridiculous arguments about the "lowest bidder" and the "terribly unreliable AR-15" that we've had before, often, need to be rehashed again. For those who brought these up, I invite you to use the Search feature and read those previous arguments.

Cat-O-Matic: respectfully, you are mistaken. The weapons were not the issue at Wanat.

-B

Then I am mistaken! What rifle was used at Wanat?
    Wht do you know about -both Armilite or LMT AR-15 rifles regarding reliablity?
    Thank-You for pointing out wrong information I had recieved!

+1 on the Sig 556 or 516.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Then I am mistaken! What rifle was used at Wanat?
    I think you misunderstand me. The weapons themselves were not the issue at Wanat. The general consensus from the guys who are familiar with that outfit (most have less than glowing things to say) is that poor training and leadership, poor maintenance TTPs, poor location, and poor support are to blame. The weapons did not fail the soldiers at that battle. Here is a good primer on how it went down.

Wht do you know about -both Armilite or LMT AR-15 rifles regarding reliablity?
    Armalite makes decent rifles, but nobody that I'm aware of uses them in settings that would determine if they're durable and reliable. LMT rifles are used in that fashion, but they don't sell any barrel assemblies longer than 16".

-B

Most reliable or most durable / reliable ?

The answer to either is...

Noveske
    Colt
    BCM
    LMT

There is no other answer to your question.

Ditto what Sarge45 said.

For heavy use, you can NOT rely on Bushamster, DPMS, or Olympic, or any of a host of "hobby" guns. If you pay attention to guys like Pat Rogers and Jeff Gonzales, you will recognize that their observations are based in fact and not simply opinion. Pat Rogers in particular was skeptical about the LWRC piston guns, but then direct experience with them caused him to change his mind.

Sarge, I would add the FN-produced guns to the list, but I'm not sure those are available on the civilian market.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

FN definitely, if we could get 'em.

BAC
    Colt and FN are the M16 makers... damn shame they won't sell 'em to We The People. FN in particular. They can guarantee 1 MOA or better on their bolt guns with chrome-lined barrels. Could you imagine how quick they could corner the market with a $1200 semi-auto A4 with a 1 MOA or better accuracy guarantee out of a chrome-lined barrel? It'd be unreal...

-B

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Ditto what Sarge45 said.

For heavy use, you can NOT rely on Bushamster, DPMS, or Olympic, or any of a host of "hobby" guns. If you pay attention to guys like Pat Rogers and Jeff Gonzales, you will recognize that their observations are based in fact and not simply opinion. Pat Rogers in particular was skeptical about the LWRC piston guns, but then direct experience with them caused him to change his mind.

Sarge, I would add the FN-produced guns to the list, but I'm not sure those are available on the civilian market.
    The OP said he wants a reliable AR for home defense and plinking so any of the major player including DPMS and Bushmaster would work well for him. He's not going to be putting 15K rounds a years down range and he likely is not prepared to spend 2K+ on a HD rifle.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    The OP said he wants a reliable AR for home defense and plinking so any of the major player including DPMS and Bushmaster would work well for him. He's not going to be putting 15K rounds a years down range and he likely is not prepared to spend 2K+ on a HD rifle.
    You assume a lot by the OP's post.

Besides, a Colt or BCM costs nowhere near $2000.00. Only about $300.00 more than the lower quality guns, actually.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    You assume a lot by the OP's post.
    Well, lets ask him.........OP, how many rounds a year do you expect to tyipcally shoot from the AR you want to purchase and how much max are you looking to spend? As someone who owns or has owned or shot extensively AR's by Colt, Armalte, DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River, Bravo Co. and many others, unless you are planning on shooting many many (10-15+) thounsands of round a year, year after year and using the gun in compatitions or for a duty gun, then any of the rifles by the major players will work fine for you for the needs you stated. Sure the higher priced guns are great rifles and you cannot go wrong with them but the reality is there is very little real difference in the performance between these guns (say a DPMS or Colt) for the average shooter to justify the price differnces unless you want to spend the funds. But let the OP make up his own mind its his money.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

BAC
    You can have a complete rifle with a Bravo Company 20" gov't or 16" middy upper for well under $900, including shipping of parts.

-B

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links