Need Your Help--Most reliable AR-15 rifle? - Page 4

Need Your Help--Most reliable AR-15 rifle?

This is a discussion on Need Your Help--Most reliable AR-15 rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BAC That's an awfully expensive suggestion for something lube will handle nicely. "Cleaner" is also relative; check up around the gas block ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need Your Help--Most reliable AR-15 rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    That's an awfully expensive suggestion for something lube will handle nicely. "Cleaner" is also relative; check up around the gas block and you'll find where all of those dreadful gases are going. As has been said by folks who know a lot more about these rifles than me, adding the piston just changes one set of problems for another. Not an especially strong argument for at a $500-$900 upcharge over a quality AR-15.

The NP3 isn't exactly exclusive to that POF rifle, nor is the idea of using low-friction coatings to minimize the need for lubrication. FailZero's EXO coating is a pretty proven technology (good write-up here). Ionbond and Melonite are even better, and if you feel like overkill can be combined. Heck, Ionbond BCGs are even available from Bravo Co. Send an upper receiver and BCG to someone who can do one or both of those processes and I'm not seeing what edge that POF rifle has. Just sayin'.

-B
    That's an awfully expensive suggestion for something lube will handle nicely. "Cleaner" is also relative; check up around the gas block and you'll find where all of those dreadful gases are going. As has been said by folks who know a lot more about these rifles than me, adding the piston just changes one set of problems for another.
    No disagreement here with anything you said. Other than to say it "seems" all the associated problems with piston systems have been resolved. Time will tell. Just answering your question. Which is that piston systems do run cleaner and cooler.

The NP3 isn't exactly exclusive to that POF rifle, nor is the idea of using low-friction coatings to minimize the need for lubrication. FailZero's EXO coating is a pretty proven technology (good write-up here). Ionbond and Melonite are even better, and if you feel like overkill can be combined. Heck, Ionbond BCGs are even available from Bravo Co. Send an upper receiver and BCG to someone who can do one or both of those processes and I'm not seeing what edge that POF rifle has. Just sayin'.
    -B
    Thanks for the heads up as I said I am still investigating. So I will be looking at the info you provided. I am familiar with zerofail. Did not know they made .308 upgrade kits. There is a difference between a coated bolt carrier and the entire internal operating mechanisms having what POF calls Corrosion Resistant Operating System. I was to get a LWRC 308 this last summer but my shop costs ran a bit over budget and with their ambiguous delivery date I had to put that off. The POF seems like a better rifle for the same price point My biggest concern is that it a 7.62 not a .308. I'd prefer a 308 so that I could use both rounds and it is what my hunting rifles are
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Worthless ??? We used shot peening at Boeing to strengthen some parts installed on the aircraft we worked on. I would hardly call the process worthless.
    You use shot peening to remove stresses introduced by machining (if you don't remove the stresses, in certain environments it can result in stress corrosion cracking). You hit whatever you are treating with a large number of ball bearings to provide enough energy for micro-dislocations to return to a normal crystalline structure. The same effect is going to happen when you shoot the gun, by virtue of the bolt opening and closing, and heating up.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    You use shot peening to remove stresses introduced by machining (if you don't remove the stresses, in certain environments it can result in stress corrosion cracking). You hit whatever you are treating with a large number of ball bearings to provide enough energy for micro-dislocations to return to a normal crystalline structure. The same effect is going to happen when you shoot the gun, by virtue of the bolt opening and closing, and heating up.
    ...which strengthens the part. The bolt opening and closing doesn't accomplish the same effect as a thorough shot peening does. If it did, the step would be discontinued as non-valued added for military guns. It was deemed necessary, and value added, for a really good reason.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The ar platform needs to be cleaned on a regular basis else you are going to have jams.The tolerances are close unlike the AK or SKS which tolerates dirt what ever
    that gets in you in for a fraction of the costs.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Actually a well lubed, dirty gun will run pretty good. It's the lube that matters, not necessarily the cleanliness of it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Actually a well lubed, dirty gun will run pretty good. It's the lube that matters, not necessarily the cleanliness of it.

Gunzilla covers both issues very well. It cleans amazingly well and than sluffs off the carbon preventing it from adhering to any surfaces. In addition to being the best gun cleaner I have ever used the dry lube Gunzilla provides does not attract any dirt dust or grime like other lubes. My AR runs much cleaner and cooler with Gunzilla and it is a snap to clean now. The Gunzilla website has lots of testimonials and test results but the best source of info is right here on this forum. Over a 100 forum members have tried it and every single one is a convert. On the entire forum there is not one single disparaging remark or negative comment about Gunzilla. That is huge try to get everyone on this or any forum to agree on anything else. Check it out for yourself Gunzilla The Worlds Best Gun Cleaner

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    That's pretty cool - I missed out on all the hullaballo about it. And I agree, getting that many people to agree about anything gun related is nigh-impossible, so it must be good stuff.

That said, I get comparable performance from WeaponShield. It cleans, is an excellent lube and prevents build up. I've basically only deep cleaned my weapons once since I've got it - now they just get a cursory wipe and a relube. If I ever have an issue with it, I'll move over to the Gunzilla stuff (or at least try it out)...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    That's pretty cool - I missed out on all the hullaballo about it. And I agree, getting that many people to agree about anything gun related is nigh-impossible, so it must be good stuff.

That said, I get comparable performance from WeaponShield. It cleans, is an excellent lube and prevents build up. I've basically only deep cleaned my weapons once since I've got it - now they just get a cursory wipe and a relube. If I ever have an issue with it, I'll move over to the Gunzilla stuff (or at least try it out)...
    I think there are a couple of WeaponShield users that converted to Gunzilla. Could be mistaken. Maybe worth your while to get a trial size and compare. I would be interested in hearing your review over at the other thread. Maybe you'll be the first dissenter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links