Russian SKS 1953 Tula?

This is a discussion on Russian SKS 1953 Tula? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anybody tell me anything about this rifle? I've found one that's in very good condition, all matching numbers. What's a good price on one ...

Thread: Russian SKS 1953 Tula?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Russian SKS 1953 Tula?

Can anybody tell me anything about this rifle? I've found one that's in very good condition, all matching numbers. What's a good price on one of these? I don't have a good defensive rifle in my lineup and was thinking this may be a good option to get my toes wet.

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

I've never seen a Russian one except as a bring home souvenir(not for sale). I always see the Chinese (Norinco) ones myself, and they go for around $350 in this area.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I had one of these back in the mid 90's. Bought it at a gun show for $69. That was back when things were good! In '98, mine went in for trade on an SLR-95. Never looked back. Thing is, the Russian SKS is the one to have IMO....in it's original condition with bayonet and cleaning rod intact. The Chinese have made a good stab at things IMO, but there's still nothing like the original (in a lot of things).
    A good price on a genuine Russian SKS these days? I wouldn't venture to guess, but still cheaper than an AK apparently. I haven't followed the SKS past my season with it, nor the variations that came about after the first wave. Maybe...just maybe I should have kept that SKS of mine. After all, AKs may have doubled in price, but what I paid for my Russian SKS back when would have given a better return. такова жизнь (such is life)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Can anybody tell me anything about this rifle? I've found one that's in very good condition, all matching numbers. What's a good price on one of these? I don't have a good defensive rifle in my lineup and was thinking this may be a good option to get my toes wet.

Thanks for any input.
    I have a 1953 (Tula) Russian SKS thats in very good to excellant condition. Ones in the condition mine is can go for as high as $450-$500 now days. I gave about half that a couple years ago, the pawn shop dealer really had no idea it was any different from the Chicom's he had in the rack. I Did!. Every now and then you stumble on a real find like this.

Here the deal on the Russian SKS rifles. Almost all you see now days are refurbished/re-arsenaled rifles. That tells you the rifle was re-arsenaled at some time. Basically, there is no significant difference in a rearsenaled Russian SKS and non-rearsenaled as far as quality. As a matter of fact, most times if the rifle didn't have the rework stamp on it, it would be extremely difficult to determine if it was overhauled or not. Russian SKS quality is top notch. The rearsenaled guns are not as desireable as the pristine original rifles but thet are still more collectable and desirable than the rifles form other nations.

Some things to look for:

FINISH:
    If the finish is NOT blued, but parkerized or dark grey, the rifle has been reworked.

If an electro-pencil has been used to number any parts, such as the bottom of the gas tube, there should be bright bare metal or slightly rusted metal showing. If the numbers are blued then it has been reworked.

Laminated stocks are NOT original, but a 1950's replacement.

Original Russian SKS's had shiny bolt carriers, bolt parts, and bayonets. If you have a blued, black, or parkerized bolt carrier, it has been refinished or replaced at one time.

MARKINGS:
    The Russians marked the rifles they refurbished. The marking was a diamond or a box with a diagonal line through it. This mark is usually found either on the stock or the lug that hangs down from the receiver cover.

If any serial numbers have been "X"ed out and new numbers stamped near the originals, then the rifle is a referb.

This rifle pictured is a referb but as you can see its in great condition and I would ask between $400-500 this rifle if I were to sell it and I have been offered as much several times.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Here is a shot of my 1953 Izzy. That arsenal only made them like two years so they are a bit harder to find than Tula's, which were made there for like 10 years. It is a Refurb but it retained an early Artic Birch stock. I paid $300 for this gun about a year ago. Was glad to get it for that. I would value this one at $400.

Russian SKS

Early 1950 Russian SKS has firing pin with a spring.
    Late 1950 Russian SKS has no spring with the firing pin
    You can find out which one you have by pressing the firing pin in, to see if it has a spring. I had a slam fire incident with an SKS that had no firing pin spring. Aftermarket kits for the spring/firing pin are available on the web.

Star with an arrow in it indicates Tula Arsenal

Your black bayonet blade, two cross bolts, engraving on the L/H side of the mag, and laminated stock indicates a probability that it is a refurb.

Visit: The Russian SKS for Beginners to see info on refurb markings

The letter r after the date is Russian for "year"

In the mid to late '90's Shotgun News had the last of the Russian Imports from the Tula factory for around $120.

Since one of our co-workers was an FFL, we bought something like six or seven of them. I have kept mine. It's been a great gun. I would go for it if the price is reasonable. You just don't see many Russian ones around these days.

We got the same kind of deal with Ruger stainless Speed Six with 3" barrels and Hogue combat grips which were trade in's from the US Postal Inspection Service.

We were the best armed Emergency Room in Central Missouri.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1953 Tula SKS

This an old thread

But for reference here is my 1953 Russian SKS, The stock on this is kinda weird looking, and very light colored, The light colored stock was weird to me at first but iam getting used to it.

It is in very good condition, as is the rest of this rifle, i picked it up for $200.00 incl. BGCheck.

It is definitely a referb. but still $200.00

I took it apart and cleaned it, All Serial Numbered parts match.

I took the bolt apart the firing pin does Not have a spring, it was dirty in the firing pin hole, after cleaning, the firing pin moves much more freely after cleaning.

The same place also has a Norinco SKS for $200.00 that is also in very good condition, and it is complete.

It was missing the following items;

1. Bayonet, I am hoping I can find one in decent condition, but where?
    2. Cleaning rod
    3. Cleaning Kit

I think I can get # 2 & 3 from centerfiresystems, but the bayonet I have not been able to locate yet.

westgl
    Attached Images

I bought a 1951 Russian SKS about 3 years ago,the cool thing is it was a Vietnam bring back,I got the CONUS paperwork,the original documentation from the OIC,and the paperwork from base Commander verifiying it was taken off a N.Viet solider.The man who brought it back died and his family needed burial funds,just seems like something I would want to keep,no matter what.

Links