The "official" AK thread - Page 12

The "official" AK thread

This is a discussion on The "official" AK thread within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by GM Man, your avatar is killing me Thanks! I'm kinda holding back in the avatar department... but AnnaLynne really gets me :) ...

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The "official" AK thread

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Man, your avatar is killing me
    Thanks!

I'm kinda holding back in the avatar department... but AnnaLynne really gets me :) :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I definitely love the solid side-folder on that one, Unfortunately for me, an Arsenal is out of my price range for the time being (I've got a Saiga 12 on layaway and will be saving my money for that and it's conversion for awhile it looks like.)
    If I had my preference, I'd go that route too.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

I'm considering getting my first AK. Can someone help me with some measurements? I would like to instal a Tapco T6 or similiar AR style stock and need to know what the overall length will bewhen collapsed.

In MI if it is less than 30 inches but more than 26 it is classified as a pistol. If I can hit that magic number I could carry in the truck with my conceaed pistol permit and possibly hunt deer in the lower shotgun/pistol zone.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

My cheapo WASR10....

ak47 004.JPG
    ak47 001.JPG
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    I'm considering getting my first AK. Can someone help me with some measurements? I would like to instal a Tapco T6 or similiar AR style stock and need to know what the overall length will bewhen collapsed.

In MI if it is less than 30 inches but more than 26 it is classified as a pistol. If I can hit that magic number I could carry in the truck with my conceaed pistol permit and possibly hunt deer in the lower shotgun/pistol zone.
    I doubt any kind of collapsible stock would bring the length to under 30". You might want to look at one of these for that:
    http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/1680
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I just purchased an AK47 with a Tapco side folding stock. It was on the AK when I purchased the rifle.
    What a POS Stock.
    It has a lot of vertical movement and some side to side movement. A good check weld is impossible to get. It looks cool, fold and unfolds easy. It is just not a solid stock for accurate shooting.

Here is the stock on my AK

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS025-6.html

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    My cheapo WASR10....

ak47 004.JPG
    ak47 001.JPG
    Hmm that is an interesting handguard! Where did you get that? Have been looking at an ultimak but haven't pulled the trigger yet!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Here's some pics of my work gun. Serb M92 (Krink) with H1 Aimpoint

VIP Member

Thumbs up

The 'Hello Kitty' stickers are a nice touch.

Here it is with a Vortex Strikefire and backwards LaRue.

001.JPG003.JPG
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Ok fellow AK fans, I need a little help. I could have sworn there was a post or two in this thread where people shared a bunch of links to websites they use to order AK parts & accessories, but after reading through it (twice) i can't see anything. I started doubting it was in this thread, so i went through the past 10 pages of threads and tried to pick out AK related threads, and still no luck. I tried google, DC's search feature, and even checked other forums i frequent to make sure i'm not mistaken. It was several months (at least) ago when I saw 'em and checked them out. It's been hours and I'm getting discouraged.

So, if you remember what post(s) I'm talking about, please point me in the right direction. If not, please share what website you use for AK parts. I'm not looking for big store names, like Brownells, Midway, Cabelas, etc etc.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

There was a post a while back where HotGuns pointed me to some places for Saiga conversion parts. Is that the one you're referring to?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

The AK market is really sparse right now. Lots of WASRs but little else to be found. On the used market, people want premium cash for quality AK guns. I had $$$ for two AKs and couldn't find one that was a good fit. I really wanted a Yugo fixed stock that isn't a century build. Yeah, I probably would have gotten a SS check before that came through. Eventually I got another 1911 and AR instead but it wasn't from a lack of trying. People seem to be holding on to their Kalashnikov-pattern guns. The AR used to be the most scarce and expensive but now the tables have definitely turned.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    There was a post a while back where HotGuns pointed me to some places for Saiga conversion parts. Is that the one you're referring to?
    Thanks for pointing it out, but they were all Saiga specific. Not the links I was looking for. The reason I'm looking for it, is one of the sites sold some cheap used wood furnature. A full set (vertical wooden foregrip, pistol, buttstock) was like $12. Can't find a cheap wooden set like that anywhere. After even more researching, I'm beginning to think it was a different forum.

If anyone has any links to some smaller AK part sites, I'd still appreciate it. Thanks again.
    Last edited by BlueNinjaGo; November 22nd, 2010 at 01:54 AM.

VIP Member
    Here is my work gun. East German AK with a simple single point sling. Does everything I want it to do.

I have used them so long that am to the point now that I prefer AK's to most other systems . Shooting an AK can feel different and confusing at first but once you learn to run the rifle and fight with it you may find it much easier than any other rifle. Now don't get me wrong I own M4's, SIG rifles, and many others but for simple point and shoot I will grab an AK.
    Just a suggestion to those who are either new to the AK or are considering different parts. Keep M4 stuff off your rifle it is not needed and changes the perfectly fine ergonomics on the rifle. Learn to use the rifle the way it is and once you master that then look at upgrades for the rifle not trying to make it into something it is not.

The main "complaints" with an AK are the sights, safety/selector lever, mag release and you have to rock the mag in. Let's look at these.

Yes the rear sight notch is to small. Either get a good aftermarket rear sight, Rifle Dynamics or XS, or simply open the notch up yourself to see the front sight better.
    The safety/selector switch is not bad it is just different from an M4. The US and it's allies are the only ones who use the safety on, off, red, amber chamber check and so on. Soviet doctrine was/is chamber a round engage safety. Going to a bad place take off safety, keep finger off trigger, when done reengage safety. Not off and on 23 times.
    Rocking the mag in again is different not a bad thing. The FAL and M-14 uses the same thing. All you have to do is practice.

As far as links Centerfire Systems, Aim Surplus, J&G Sales all carry AK's and parts. Try to keep an AK an AK I think in the end you will be happier. Just an opinion.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

My newest. My Saiga 12 that's been converted by Hotguns. I recieved it back from his shop a little over a month ago, and am very pleased with the results. Other than the FCG being moved forward and replaced with Tapco parts, he also installed a K-VAR Nato length stock, a K-VAR pistol grip, replaced the shepherd's crook with a plate for easy removal, and replaced the stock forearm with an RPK forearm and retaining plate. Not only does it look as nice as an AK can, it's also as reliable as any other AK out there.

This was my attempt to have a "pure" AK. I tried to make it stock, with no add-ons of any kind. I've got my 8 round SGM magazines on order, and an MD Arms 20 round drum on my wishlist.

Last edited by Katana; February 13th, 2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: removed blurry picture

Μολών λαβέ!

Links