The "official" AK thread

This is a discussion on The "official" AK thread within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got her, have not done a thing to it, very low round count too which is great...man the trigger is sweet too.. IMAG0221-2.jpg...

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The "official" AK thread

Just got her, have not done a thing to it, very low round count too which is great...man the trigger is sweet too..
    IMAG0221-2.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Katana likes this.

Worked on the 5.45 recently. Added standard AK hand guard retainer, Bulgy GB, cleaning rod and picked up a ((10)) bayo for fun. The Hogue front hand guard feels good just like the pistol grip.
    Last edited by zero; February 4th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
    Rigrat likes this.

Little more work done on the mini too. Added an MI rail, polished bolt carrier, internals etc.

Rigrat likes this.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Worked on the 5.45 recently. Added standard AK hand guard retainer, Bulgy GB, cleaning rod and picked up a ((10)) bayo for fun. The Hogue front hand guard feels good just like the pistol grip.
    Ahh man, I forgot Houge made a front handguard for AK's. I should have went with that rather than the standard Russian black plastic. Love that Ultimak/micro dot combo :) I have the same.

RKM
    Some updates to my traditional, yet modernized and functional AKM, WASR 10/63.

In case anybody is wondering, because I was when I was searching around, the VTAC light mount is NOT in the way of the red dot. It's also JUST low enough that you can still use the iron sights effectively. And I haven't REALLY pushed it, but it will last 3 full mags of fairly "quick" firing without melting. The VTAC may be plastic, but I think it's tougher than it seems. I was originally going to go for the VLTOR mount, but knowing VTAC has a good reputation in the AR world, figured I'd save $50 and give it a try. I'd like to possibly add a '74 style brake.

I got through phases where I'll be REALLY into one gun for a few months. The past two has been all AK all the time. Made the above updates. Used to be this:

While I LOVE that look ^^^^ The vertical Romy grip got in the way of "quick" mag changes. The folding stock looks cool but even with the modest recoil of the 7.62x39, it would still find a way to dig into deep to my shoulder and leave bruises. I miss the look and I hope to have another AK variant someday to play with. I'd like to SBR a Draco by using my Romy side folder and front grip from my AK. Hope you guys enjoy my monotonous pictures.

I guess this is considered an AK type rifle. It's a cheapo used to get this painting thing down before I start on my main rifles.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Well have traded both of my AK74's and only have a cousin to them. A Nornico Model M, SKS.

Original Stock

By the way Zero, you have to outstanding AK's posted above.
    zero likes this.

Thanks Rigrat...dig your SKS.

Might as well show next project. Slowly picking up pieces here and there. Just ordered a FSB and Zigzag Break.

When done it will be a plum 5.45. Seriously considering painting this one (duracoat/cerakote/molykote?) a steel gray to show off the warm color of the K-Var plum furniture.

As bad as I want to "go at it" I have too much regular work going on right now. Patience is a virtue not easily accomplished.

Have an unconverted S12 in the safe too. Defiantly going to look into SBSing it. Haven't met any gunsmiths around here that want to touch an AK let alone an S12. Have to figure something out eventually.

zero, just paint it with Krylon or Aervoe. I much prefer the look to Duracoat or similar type of finish, but that's just me.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    zero, just paint it with Krylon or Aervoe. I much prefer the look to Duracoat or similar type of finish, but that's just me.
    I have thought about the spray can approach. Don't want to go down that road. Have read many people do it and are OK with surface etc. I spray Gunzilla in receiver and elsewhere when cleaning (especially after corrosive ammo). Had spray paint on the bottom of one Saiga before...took it right off.

Picked up a cheap vertical feed touch up gun recently for my clay works. That's what got me thinking of following through on a color change finally.

Do appreciate the input. You have a lot of very nice firearms.

I like the Krylon/Aervoe painting, but only because I like the worn off look it gets after some use. I definitely understand it's not for everyone. Added some accents a few minutes ago.

So far I've done two 22 rifles and this. The SCARs, ARs and Barretts are next.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I like the Krylon/Aervoe painting, but only because I like the worn off look it gets after some use. I definitely understand it's not for everyone. Added some accents a few minutes ago.

So far I've done two 22 rifles and this. The SCARs, ARs and Barretts are next.

Looks good, nice accents. The camo takes the hard edges away very well.

We have been acquiring two of most rifles here (a his and hers thing). The plan is to leave one an "evil black rifle" and color with other...green furniture for 7.62 and plum with the 5.45. Guess the other S12 will need to be some kind of tan combo.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Looks good, nice accents. The camo takes the hard edges away very well.

We have been acquiring two of most rifles here (a his and hers thing). The plan is to leave one an "evil black rifle" and color with other...green furniture for 7.62 and plum with the 5.45. Guess the other S12 will need to be some kind of tan combo.
    I painted two other rifles this week. I'm testing it out on all the cheap stuff, but I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far, though it could be better. Here's a link to the 22's and 22 and 9mm suppressors.

Painting pictures by jonconsiglio - Photobucket

Draco

zero likes this.

Links