Is the 5.45 going away anytime soon?

This is a discussion on Is the 5.45 going away anytime soon? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My birthday is coming up and I am treating myself to a new AK. Problem is, I'm thinking the 5.45 is just a fad. I ...

View Poll Results: AK purchasing questions

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5.45 will be here a while. Buy the AK 74

26 63.41%
  • 5.45 is a fad. Stick to 7.62

15 36.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the 5.45 going away anytime soon?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Is the 5.45 going away anytime soon?

My birthday is coming up and I am treating myself to a new AK. Problem is, I'm thinking the 5.45 is just a fad. I wouldn't really care much if I had like 500 bucks to spend on ammo, so I could buy in bulk, but that's not in the cards. I'd just hate to spend all that money on a fine rifle that I cannot shoot because ammo is not being imported anymore.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

I to am unsure about the 5.45 I lke the looks of it...but I tend to think the 7.62 will be here much longer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The 5.45 is cheaper to shoot then .223 generally I can find 5.45 mil surp easier also.

Its a round that competes with the 5.56 and it should be around for a while.

The only 5.45 supply comes in from Russia (with love). Shut off that supply line and no more 5.45 ammo.

Going away?

I wasn't aware that it had ever "arrived."

It doesn't have any degree of popularity around these parts that I can tell.

Very popular on the AK site. Everytime a dealer gets a large quanity of these crates at a decent price they go like hot cakes! The demand is certainly there so I don't see the caliber disappearing anytime before the 7.62 round.

I did a lot of research on calibers when I was looking to purchase my first AR15/M4 rifle. I was still researching when the AR craze hit and .223 ammo went throught the roof. I said to heck with it and bought a S&W MP15 in the 5.45x39mm. LOVE IT!!!

2,160 rounds per crate, (2 spam cans/crate), delivered to my door for 300 bucks!! I have 3 crates stashed in the basement now! Yes it's corrosive, but I clean my weapons after every range time any way, so no biggie.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Atleast for me, the 5.45x39mm. in a S&W MP15 is more accurate than .223 in a bushmaster. If you get one. Stock up!!! 300.00 for 2,180 rounds can't be beat!!!

There is an American company who is going to produce the 5.45x39mm. I read about it in SN a few months ago. Get the 74, the caliber is gaining popularity here in the states.

Oh, and make sure you post pics.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Why would it go away, its the caliber used now on front line AK style rifles by most all the former Warsaw Pact nations and Russian commercial makers Wolf (Tula Arms Factory) and Silver Bear (Barnaul Machine Plant) make all you will ever need even if the military spam can ammo dries up. Its all about supply and demand and the demand is growing for this round daily.

The AK74 has a big and ever growing following now in the US and several US and European commercial ammo makers are tooling up to make 5.45x39. Heck I have 3K-4K rounds on hand right now myself. Just do a web search for this caliber and see how many online vendors carry it. And its the least expensive intermediate power rifle round avalible now by a wide margin.

Of all the rifles I currently own, and this includes several AR's, the AK74 and a couple spam cans of 5.45x39 ammo is what I would put in the truck first if I have to bugout in a real SHTF situations. Why? It always works and I can teach anybody else to use it realitively effectively in 10 minutes. Not trying to start another AR vs AK fight, but in 35+ years as a shooter of both of these rifle platforms I have now come to believe the AK platform is my go to rifle, and many others feel this way now, so the point is the AK74 and the 5.45x39 round are here to stay.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about it going away. I don't shoot it but the demand is there. As long as the demand is there, there will be someone smart enough to fill it.

I have been wanting a Ak for awhile and have been eyeballing the AK74 for nothing other than the cheaper cost of the ammo.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    done. Ordering the 'Bulgarian' AK74 5.45x39... same as pirate's. I'll post pics when i pick her up.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Privi makes the ammo they just don't import it. If/when the surplus runs out and the new Russian is cut off the Privi or someone else will step up. Not to mention we would start getting some that is reloadable.

The only question is whether it'll stay as cheap as it is now. It'll almost certainly stay in production, given that Russia has switched over to 5.45 for infantry rifles. I suspect that in the long run, prices will approximately equalize with 7.62 or 5.56.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    done. Ordering the 'Bulgarian' AK74 5.45x39... same as pirate's. I'll post pics when i pick her up.
    You will not be sorry my friend. The build quality of my Lancaster build was very good for a sub $500 AK. Start your "stack" of 5.45x39 spam cans quickly.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links