Next Generation M14

Next Generation M14

This is a discussion on Next Generation M14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New-era M14 alleviates reliability issues Jane's International Defense Review ^ | 10 May 06 | Responding to a US Army Special Operations Command (SOCOM) requirement, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Generation M14

Lightbulb Next Generation M14

New-era M14 alleviates reliability issues
    Jane's International Defense Review ^ | 10 May 06 |

Responding to a US Army Special Operations Command (SOCOM) requirement, Sage International developed a chassis-type stock for M14 rifles that transforms the M14 into a 21st century enhanced tactical carbine. This stock is now being used to modify M14 rifles at Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane, Indiana. The result is the Mk 14, Mod 0 Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR), which can be obtained by any force that uses M14 rifles either by purchasing the EBR stock and converting existing M14 type rifles or buying a semi-automatic-only version of the Mk 14, Mod 0 from US company Fulton Armory.

The conversion from standard M14 to Mk 14 involves several modifications. First, the M14 barrel has been shortened from 559 mm to 470 mm with the standard M14 flash suppressor replaced by a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor that reduces flash by approximately 99 per cent. With a 470 mm barrelled carbine, the high-performance Vortex flash suppressor was a virtual necessity. The front sight that once sat atop the flash suppressor has been moved to the gas cylinder lock.

The bolt stop has been replaced by a 'paddle' type similar to that of the M4 Carbine. This allows the bolt to be released without removing the trigger hand from the pistol grip as opposed to the original M14 that required the bolt handle to be pulled to the rear after a fresh magazine was inserted to release the bolt stop. The addition of the bolt release is a major advantage in combat where every second counts, not to mention being more convenient.

Finally, the clip guide on the receiver has been replaced by a 38 mm section of the MIL-STD-1913 rail to allow optics to be mounted, as with our test rifle, along with the Sage EBR stock

(Excerpt) Read more at janes.com ...
    Attached Images
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Kinda makes a good looking weapon ugly funny they squeezed in EBR Evil black rifle even though they call it something else in the article

Dam, that was my drill rifle at boot camp, and I still am in love!!!

Lead Moderator
    looks funny , but works better.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Vltor makes a Modstock for the the M1A Socom II. It looks pretty cool.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    looks kinda bulky in the front just my opin though

At weighs in at about 10 or 11lbs without all the goodies you could fit on those rails.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I'd just as soon have a standard M14 or even better the SOCOM 16 or the Scout Squad.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Tastes Great!

Less Filling!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I have an 18" Bush model of the M1A. I sold the standard 22" M1A's I had. The Bush is the ticket.
    Mine has the Smith Enterprise muzzle brake and the paddle style bolt release. I also have ARMS rail mounted but rarely mount a scope. I added a globe conversion front sight which helps these old eyes.
    I didn't go with the EBR stock due to cost. I spent $18 at Numrich for a used USGI fiberglass and built up the comb with fiberglass. I then painted it with camo Krylon from Walmart.
    The pic is my 3 gun Heavy Metal gear (but I now run my Kimber 1911as the handgun)
    Dave

Lightbulb Front Sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale
    I have an 18" Bush model of the M1A. I sold the standard 22" M1A's I had. The Bush is the ticket.
    Mine has the Smith Enterprise muzzle brake and the paddle style bolt release. I also have ARMS rail mounted but rarely mount a scope. I added a globe conversion front sight which helps these old eyes.
    I didn't go with the EBR stock due to cost. I spent $18 at Numrich for a used USGI fiberglass and built up the comb with fiberglass. I then painted it with camo Krylon from Walmart.
    The pic is my 3 gun Heavy Metal gear (but I now run my Kimber 1911as the handgun)
    Dave
    Beautiful set! Tell me about the front sight to help these old eyes! Would it be compatible with a dot style sight?

The Globe Front Sight Conversion kit is from Alley Supply. (775-782-3800). It replaces the blade and "wings" with a hooded front sight with a selection of sight inserts.
    I can mount a red dot or regular scope and leave the front sight in place.
    Great setup.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Kinda makes a good looking weapon ugly funny they squeezed in EBR Evil black rifle even though they call it something else in the article
    I've seen those stocks on the Fulton Armory web page for a while now. And I didnt know that EBR meant something else, I just assumed it was Evil Black Rifle since it no longer had the innocent deer rifle look...

Having to pull the charging hadle back on a reload really wouldnt bother me, since I can leave my firing hand (the left one) on the rifle. And since I'm a southpaw, the paddle might not work for me.

Sponsor
    It takes a perfectly great rifle and tunrns it into something else.

Hanging crap off rifles is not something I'm fond of to begin with and unless I need all those "goodies" hanging on my rifle for specific reasons, I'll keep em light and fast.

One of the reasons my 14 is in standard config and stays that way. It has arms reveiver mount #18 that mates to the anpvs 4 NV mount or the scope with range finder on the #19 mount. Those two set ups are ready to mount cleanly but the rifle retains the lines it was meant to have without the added weight unless I want it there for some specific reason.

Both the NV and ranger finder can be on and off in seconds.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Airedale- Nice stock. I did something similar as far as getting a used GI stock and refinishing it goes.

Now I can kick myself for not getting 2-3 extra stocks way back when Cheaper Than Dirt had them for around $17 including the hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links