Building a 9mm AR

Building a 9mm AR

This is a discussion on Building a 9mm AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to build a 9mm SBR AR. Has anyone build an AR from the ground up before? Where can I find a parts list? ...

Thread: Building a 9mm AR

Building a 9mm AR

I want to build a 9mm SBR AR. Has anyone build an AR from the ground up before? Where can I find a parts list? I have the rifle I want to build in my head (9mm, 10.5" barrel, Olive drab 6pt stock pistol grip and forend, red dot scope, Magpul collapsible iron sights) I just dont know where to begin.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction??

edit - I'm not dead set on it being a 9mm, I may wait until I can afford to set up an FFL Trust for tax stamp purposes and start off with a 5.56 and 14.5" barrel
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Moderator
    Not hard to do. First buy a kit here.

Then mate it to a lower. Before you put it together, be sure to have your tax stamp for the SBR in hand.

Here is one option.
    Model 1 Sales

Everything you need except the lower.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm building a Model 1 9mm, but not an SBR, with a lower from here.
    AR15 / M16 Weapons Carbines and Accessories, military tactical gear, Optics

Got tons of Uzi magazines from a Norinco 320 SBR project. You can get lots of options here too:
    BROWNELLS : CAR-15/M4 9MM LOWER RECEIVER CONVERSION KIT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Keep us posted please.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm actually kind of taking on a big undertaking, this will end up being a year long project... I'm going to build a 9mm SBR and a 16" 5.56 at the same time.

I'm shopping around but am hopeing to build both off of Smith and Wesson M&P15 lowers, I'll be ordering 2 lowers and 2 lower parts kits next week.

9mm SBR will be all black, the 5.56 is going to have Olive Drab 6point stock, pistol grip, and railed forend.

more info to come.

edit: I'm not going to buy a complete upper for either, this is going to be a complete part by part build
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Why don't you go .45 ACP and include a suppressor?

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Here's my 9mm AR from Spikes Tactical. This thing is unstoppable. it uses Colt / Metalform mags. It's a BEAST!

www.spikestactical.com

You could also build it as an AR pistol and save yourself the tax stamp issues. Once you get it tuned and/or feel you have to have a stock on it then do your Trust and Form 1.

Here is my AR pistol that eventually growed up to be a carbine

THIS should help with the "How To"

OMG!!...Siafu and LMarshall's projects are HAWTTT!

<drool>

- Janq must...look...away...NOW!
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

<drool>

Thanks Janq. My Spikes 9mm carbine has a milled billet upper and has been the most reliable semi-auto I have ever owned. The only time it ever malfunctioned is when I wasn't paying attention and loaded a .40 round from a box full of loose ammo I had. I cleared the jam and kept on rockin' & rollin'!

I purchased everything from www.spikestactical.com

Their mags and mag well adapter are the absolute best on the market. I love this rifle. I was recently shooting with some cop buddies and they were blown away at how well it grouped and how easy it was to keep on target. Also noted was the absence of muzzle blast. It is so quiet that you can almost shoot without muffs.

Cheap to feed and utterly reliable. That's how I like my women and my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

<drool>

Thanks.

And this thread got me looking at 9mm components for a pistol build. This could get expensive awful quick. I wonder if Spike's is looking for an endentured servant. Just pay me in parts - that's all I ask...

Better yet - Superhouse - lets start doing custom AR builds and selling them through the shop. Whadayathink?

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Thanks Janq. My Spikes 9mm carbine has a milled billet upper and has been the most reliable semi-auto I have ever owned. The only time it ever malfunctioned is when I wasn't paying attention and loaded a .40 round from a box full of loose ammo I had. I cleared the jam and kept on rockin' & rollin'!

I purchased everything from www.spikestactical.com

Their mags and mag well adapter are the absolute best on the market. I love this rifle. I was recently shooting with some cop buddies and they were blown away at how well it grouped and how easy it was to keep on target. Also noted was the absence of muzzle blast. It is so quiet that you can almost shoot without muffs.

Cheap to feed and utterly reliable. That's how I like my women and my guns.
    Hmmm. I think I know where chunks of my next couple of paychecks are going...

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

I'm actually kind of taking on a big undertaking, this will end up being a year long project... I'm going to build a 9mm SBR and a 16" 5.56 at the same time.

I'm shopping around but am hopeing to build both off of Smith and Wesson M&P15 lowers, I'll be ordering 2 lowers and 2 lower parts kits next week.

9mm SBR will be all black, the 5.56 is going to have Olive Drab 6point stock, pistol grip, and railed forend.

more info to come.

edit: I'm not going to buy a complete upper for either, this is going to be a complete part by part build
    If you're the least bit mechanically inclined the builds should be easy. I built my first 2 lowers on the same day. The first took around a half hour, the second was almost half that. I put another together a few months ago and I think it took about 20 minutes (after laying out and accounting for all of the parts). Torquing and aligning the barrel nut can be a pain (don't have to worry about alignment as much with the 9mm since there won't be a gas tube to worry about, and, depending on the rail you use for the 5.56 you may not need to worry about the alignment on that one either - Daniel Defense Lite being one of those). In all, good luck and post your progress!

SBR

OK, but does anyone have plans or thoughts on a Form 1 9mm suppressor? I've been looking for one for the MAC, but I could do 1/2 x 28 threads.

Stupid stamp collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    OK, but does anyone have plans or thoughts on a Form 1 9mm suppressor? I've been looking for one for the MAC, but I could do 1/2 x 28 threads.

Stupid stamp collection!

Sponsored Links