First Shotgun?

This is a discussion on First Shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm taking a hunting class this month and may take up some fowl hunting. I previously have only bow hunted. I have shot a few ...

Thread: First Shotgun?

First Shotgun?

I'm taking a hunting class this month and may take up some fowl hunting. I previously have only bow hunted. I have shot a few shotguns in the past O/U and pump, but it was clay shooting. I don't have any other experience with them.

My question is what kind of shotgun should I be looking at for a first shotgun? I looked at a few threads and forums, but I don't know what types (O/U, Side by Side, Pump) and brands I should be looking at. I would want to keep it under $1,000 for my first. I was initially looking at the Benelli Super Nova.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd buy an 28" 870. It can do about anything or be transformed into anything if you do not like hunting. It also holds its value a little better than a Nova.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just to make sure, that's a Remington?

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Just to make sure, that's a Remington?
    I'm not Sixto and I hope he don't mind me jumping in.

The answer to your question is "yes". It is also what I would've recommended.

Biker

I've had excellent experience with the Benelli shotguns and I have to admit they are my favorites. However, there is nothing bad to say about the 870 Remington. It's been around a long time and has proven itself over and over. There are more aftermarket goodies for the 870 and they're definitely cheaper to buy a spare/shorter barrel for. IMO, you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

Since you didn't mention it and no one has asked, I'll ask what type of fowl you are planning to hunt? If your plans include pheasant, turkey or duck/goose hunting which all require the use of high base, heavy/magnum loads, you may want to take a look at a good gas operated semi-auto. You should be able to get into a good one for around your price limit and after an outing of sustained shooting, your shoulder will thank you. A good gas operated auto also results in less muzzle rise and thus gives a faster follow up shot.

Forgot to mention, I'd also recommend a 26"-28" barrel for a sporting shotgun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I must say that is a nice budget for a shotgun you have there! Pump shotguns like the Remington 870, Mossberg 500/590, Winchester 1300 (discontinued), and even Turkish and Chinese made pumps are excellent. I own two Remington 870s and a Benelli Super Nova and all are excellent shotguns.

The good thing about pump shotguns is due to the user operated action, they are capable of firing all types of loads from light target loads, less lethal to full power magnum turkey and deer loads. A basic Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 will run you between 300 and 500 dollars depending on the specific model.

Say you do go with the Remington 870 and you decide later you want to use it for home defense. You would just be a barrel swap away from having a shotgun set up for home defense and when you go out hunting or sport shooting, throw on the 26 or 28" barrel. It is a little harder to find replacement barrels for the Benelli Super Nova.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I'm partial to the Mossberg pumps myself, same as the 870 in the respect that it can be transformed into anything when you decide you are done hunting.

Try both the Mossy and the 870, after you shoulder both you will have a pretty good ideal which you prefer. Good luck hope you find one you are really happy with.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    with a $1k budget, I would hit the pawn shops and bring home at least 2 serviceable shotguns. My last find was a (long discontinued) P. Beretta AL-2 in 95% condition for the equivalent of $300. There are usually more good shotguns on the pawn shop racks in my area than anything else.

Shop around and buy 2 (or 3)

surv

edit to add: might as well make sure one can be a slug gun as well

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Since you didn't mention it and no one has asked, I'll ask what type of fowl you are planning to hunt? If your plans include pheasant, turkey or duck/goose hunting which all require the use of high base, heavy/magnum loads, you may want to take a look at a good gas operated semi-auto.
    - Probably a little bit of everything.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'm going to my hunting class later this month, but it's nice to start looking. I didn't even think about pawn shops.

ntg
    There nothing wrong w/ the Rem. Moss. or Benelli. I like them all. I've shot a SBE which is a dream. I also like the old model 5's and would pick one up (regardless of who made it) if I found a used on in good shape. If you don't want to get into it too much as far as $$ go get a NEF Pardner Pump. It's a 870 clone with a tube that will hold one more. They're built well from what I've learned. Enjoy shopping.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Say you do go with the Remington 870 and you decide later you want to use it for home defense. You would just be a barrel swap away from having a shotgun set up for home defense and when you go out hunting or sport shooting, throw on the 26 or 28" barrel.
    That's exactly what I do. 28" barrel for trap, 20" for home defense. Swap takes about 30 seconds.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Links