My new EBR

This is a discussion on My new EBR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had originally put an oly plinker plus on layaway and posted another thread asking if the plinker would be a good buy. I spent ...

Thread: My new EBR

My new EBR

I had originally put an oly plinker plus on layaway and posted another thread asking if the plinker would be a good buy. I spent numerous hours reading different boards about what I should look for in a decent AR15 for under $1000. I came to the conclusion the Oly would not meet my needs.

So, I went back to my local gun-store and looked around for about an hour at their AR's. I took 3 to the counter. One was a Saber, another was a smith and wesson M&P moe, and an armalite 15A4CBA2K. The Saber and Armalite was similar in price,the S&W was about $200 more.

I chose the flattop armalite 15A4CBA2K, it was listed at $1030. I was able to purchase it for $897before taxes.

The specs are... Caliber: .223/5.56mm NATO
    Barrel: 16" Double Lapped, Chrome Lined\Chrome Moly Vanadium
    Rifling Twist: RH 1:9"
    Muzzle Device: Flash Suppressor
    Front Sight Base: A2 Front Sight Assembly
    Upper Receiver: Forged Flattop with Picatinny Rail
    Trigger: Two Stage Tactical, Approximately 5-6 lbs.
    Overall Length: 35.6"
    Weight: 7 lbs
    Finish: Anodized Aluminum Upper/Lower Receiver, Manganese Phosphated Steel Barrel
    Accuracy: 2 - 2 1/2" MOA
    Included with Rifle: One 30 Round Magazine, Sling, Black Case, Owner's Manual, Limited Lifetime Warranty.

I tried to take some pictures of the gas key staking...

The firing pin is fully shrouded and the m4 feed ramps look good. However the front sight is not "F" marked and there is not a "H" buffer. What do you guys think..was it a good buy?

My wife, son, and myself shot 100 rounds through it without any problems. I have not fired a M16 since my last year in the army in '96..I am seriously thinking about taking a local class to refresh my knowledge. I first realized how long it has been since my army days when I took the Bolt apart for cleaning. Took me a while but I remembered how to get it all back together...lol. So far, I love this Rifle!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

2. Remove Ads

Lots of info on the internet about assembly/disassembly of the AR15/M16,or just ask and ye shall receive more info than you ever thought possible
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Good going... far better choice than the oly. Now you need to add some "stuff", and please not from Cheaper Than Dirt!

Get a handful of magazines, more if you can afford 'em. They do wear out (feed lips spread, etc.) so number them and take bad actors out of service. P-Mags are some of the best and are affordable.

Depending on your use of the gun - a red dot optic is ideal for defensive uses out to 100 yards or so, and Aimpoint and EOTech are the only serious, reliable contenders in that realm.

A 2-point sling is a valuable accessory. You can use the cheapie GI web sling, but for training and defensive use something like a VTAC is a big asset.

Ammo - skip the Wolf and other steel-cased stuff. With a 1/9 twist, 55 and 62 grain ammo is fine, heavier bullets generally prefer faster twist rates.

Maintenance - a Bore Snake is your friend. Get an AR chamber brush too, but white-glove cleanliness will not result in a better-running gun. Proper lubrication will. These guns need to be run wet.

Training: Definitely! Having done three courses with Pat Rogers, I'm a big fan (EAG Tactical), but he's not the only game in town... just one of the best. Jeff Gonzales of Trident Concepts is also highly recommended. Ask around and see what might be offered in your area.

Resources: ar15.com ("arfcom")

Above all - shoot that puppy and enjoy it!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Good pick on the Armalite...I think they are one of the great forgotten manufacturers.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Good going... far better choice than the oly. Now you need to add some "stuff", and please not from Cheaper Than Dirt!

\
    Is there something about cheaper than dirt that I should know? I purchased a spare mag but I think I will need at least 7 more. I also bought a uncle mike's 3 pt tactical sling. I have about 200 rounds through it now and I absolutely love this rifle!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Cheaper than dirt has rip off high prices, bad customer service, and many bad reviews.

On the other hand, I've had a bunch of good experiences with Midway USA
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Bravo Company too - they've got GI mags with Magpul followers for $10. Looks good so far. I'm surprised that the front sight isn't F marked considering it comes on a flattop gun - maybe they used the taller front sight post instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Bravo Company too - they've got GI mags with Magpul followers for $10. Looks good so far. I'm surprised that the front sight isn't F marked considering it comes on a flattop gun - maybe they used the taller front sight post instead.
    I'll have to check out bravo company's web site. I paid Like 20 bucks for my spare nhmtg 30 round mag at the funstore.

Quote Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
    Is there something about cheaper than dirt that I should know? I purchased a spare mag but I think I will need at least 7 more. I also bought a uncle mike's 3 pt tactical sling. I have about 200 rounds through it now and I absolutely love this rifle!
    Cheaper than Dirt is almost always the highest priced website no matter what it is I'm shopping around for.

I think they chose that name knowing that there are many people out there who will say "Oh their name is Cheaper than Dirt, I dont even need to shop around, obviously they have the best prices!!"
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    Cheaper than Dirt is almost always the highest priced website no matter what it is I'm shopping around for.

I think they chose that name knowing that there are many people out there who will say "Oh their name is Cheaper than Dirt, I dont even need to shop around, obviously they have the best prices!!"
    Thanks for the heads up!

Links