Which would you get? The AR or the AK

This is a discussion on Which would you get? The AR or the AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Out of your choices, I'd get the Kalashnikov. A cheap AK will run better than the cheap ARs you have posted. If you want an ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which would you get? The AR or the AK

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Out of your choices, I'd get the Kalashnikov. A cheap AK will run better than the cheap ARs you have posted. If you want an AR, save up and buy something better than an OLY or a M1S kit.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Out of your choices, I'd get the Kalashnikov. A cheap AK will run better than the cheap ARs you have posted. If you want an AR, save up and buy something better than an OLY or a M1S kit.
    There are good quality AR's available for about the same price though - like the Del-Ton's I linked earlier.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I would tend to disagree, but if I do certain members will pop out and call me a couch commando.

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Mic
    I'm not a big fan of KITS but if on a budget then shopping Olympic arm's is a good start, I got a Oly G1, thats the M4 model and it has not let me down at all. Oly Arms has allot to offer for a decent price.

AK's are also great for the money, you can find em cheap just about any ware and parts available to customize as you go.

For a SHTF gun, I would go with the AK, but both are great for weekend shooting to. Ammo cost should not be a factor considering surplus commie ammo can be had just about as cheep as .223 if you buy in bulk.

Bottom line, Id go for the AK
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I would tend to disagree, but if I do certain members will pop out and call me a couch commando.
    Well, we're all entitled to our opinions. Just out of curiosity, is there anything in particular you don't like about DTI? I've got one of their custom uppers on a DTI lower and an additional DTI built lower in the safe, and both are flawless.

They're not Colt 6920's, but that's ok with me.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Here's my advice to the OP if you want an AR - read this entire document:

M4 CHART

before you even think about looking at the chart portion of it read all the explanation of features. Figure out which features matter to you. Then look at the chart and figure out which manufacturers make something that meets your needs. Buy from those.

Bob, to answer your question - DTI checks very few items off the chart and they really don't meet my needs or requirements.

Bob, to answer your question - DTI checks very few items off the chart and they really don't meet my needs or requirements.
    Fair enough. Most of the items on that list are either easily fixed or not important enough to me to warrant the more expensive rifles. Your needs may be different than mine.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Siafu,

Any particular reason for picking the AR?
    I posted a thoughtful response last night but it must have been removed.

Oh well.

I have a couple of AR's. and no AK's.

This will change this year a AK is in my future.

If i was going to be able to obtain cleaning supplies then the AR would be my choice.

If you are talking about Post December 21, 2012 then I would chose a AK.

In my experience they seem to run without any kind of maintence. I have seen them rusty, full of stuff and still function.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say AK. The main problem most people have with them are: ergonomics, sights, safety, and accuracy. You will never hear people complain about reliability, price, price of accessories, abundance of cheap rock solid magazines, or the abilities of the 7.62x39mm round (aside from people who plan on engaging targets beyond 400 yards). As far as the other "problems"

Ergonomics- its really not hard to learn to rock a magazine into place, reach under the rifle with your left hand and charge it. It might take a second more or less longer than an AR15 mag change, but typically youll be either reloading behind conver or transitioning to a pistol anyways.

Sights- no you are not going to be competing in any long range shooting competitions, but since most fights occur at under 100 yards, and typically much closer, you need to ask yourself; are you more likley to be shooting across a valley, or across a parking lot. I find the you can disregard the rear sight entirely and only use the front sight hood to encase your target, a process called "Caveman EOTech" by instructor Gabe Suarez. This sight system is much faster than the aperature sights on AR15s for closer range gunfighting.

Safety- this is one of the only points I feel are truly valid. You cannot have your rifle on safe, then quickly snap the rifle up, disengage the safety, and fire. The cure for this is to turn the safety off when the fight begins and just keep your finger off the damn trigger until the fights over.

Accuracy- similar to what I said before, yes the AR15 outranks the AK in accuracy at range, but the real question is what the bullet will do when it hits it's target. For the 5.56x45 to be effective, it needs to be tumbling and fragmenting. Beyond about 250 yards, this becomes questionable. So yes, you can hit targets at 500 or 600 meters with the AR, but the chances of you incapacitating the target become lower the farther you go beyond 250 meters.

In short, Id chose the WASR (assuming you can look at it yourself to assure theres no cant) over the AR15
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by bal_g23 View Post
    Im going to go out on a limb here and say AK.
    Well, I didn't want to quote the whole reply because it's rather extensive. But.........it pretty much fits for my reply as well. (Don't go too far out on that limb because you have company). I trained extensively with the M16 (back in the day when I belonged to Uncle Sam). My experience with the AK comes strictly from my civilian days and range time. It matters not that I have both...AR15 and AK47. The AR was my first for sure......sort of like why I had to have a 1911 once I became a civilian again. Things I was trained with brought more comfort (and they still do to a certain extent)...but I've become more worldly and open minded since those days. Granted, the quality of each spans the globe now, and many statistics for each platform are seemingly without end.
    Which would you get? The AR or the AK?
    Knowing what I know now, and some 25 years after I depended on what the government told me I could use, I'm going the other way. Toss them both down in front of me this day, and I'll be picking up the AK.

I looked at the explanations and the chart for the AR's. I just don't see where most of that is going to be a problem for me. I just would like to have a entry level AR. Something that I can use for plinking mostly, and HD duty.

I really like the thought of a AK 74 and the 5.45 round, for a starter rifle. I just haven't been able to find one around where I live so it would be a risk ordering one and the issues with the front sights.

Guess I will have to keep looking or just take a chance.

Does anyone know of any places that sell the AK's that have a good rep for not selling ones with canted sights?

Anyone know if J&G Sales has good AK's for sale?

If you're going to order a 5.45 (or even 5.56) AK - why not look at K-Var's Arsenal AKs? They're solid, good to go rifles. In fact, rifles like that are why a lot of people will say the best sub $1K AR is an AK. With one of these you're not worried about canted sights or anything of that nature. Find a good price online and order away.

For a HD AR, I would want all the quality checks - MPI/HP testing of the bolt and barrel. I'd also want 1x7 twist and a true 5.56 chamber on my barrel so that I can make use of better performing, larger bullets (75gr. TAP for instance), and I'd want to make sure the rifle was setup to function reliably - so, M4 feed ramps, proper gas port size, proper spring/insert on the extractor, FA bolt carrier and H-buffer and then I'd want to make sure that the carrier key and castle nut were staked correctly. Once I was there, it didn't make sense to mess around with lower tier ARs... Again, your needs may be different, but if HD is one of your needs, I'd seriously consider what you're looking at. When it's all said and done if you make an INFORMED choice, then that's what matters.

I guess the reason I don't get a K-Var is I'm not wanting to spend 750-1000.00 dollars on a AK. Granted I don't think I'd have to worry about canted sights but at that price I should get 5000 rounds of ammo to go with it. Sorry I tend to be a little on the frugal side and sometimes just down right cheap.

Kinda like buying a 1911a1 pistol. I could of spent 1k or better on a big name brand but went for a FS RIA and a Compact RIA. Have complete confidence in them just as much as I would a Kimber or what ever big name brand.

I have leaned in life allot of times that you can sometimes get more than you pay for rather than the old saying "you get what you pay for".

See my thinking is right now, why spend just under a 1k for a AK or 1500-2k for a big name brand AR. Don't get me wrong I would love to have the money to do that, or have enough time and patience to save up that kind of cash , but realize it ain't going to happen with my kids on the money wagon, LOL.

What I'd like to find is a sub $500 Ak that would work good and not have canted sights. Surely there out there and someone knows where there at.

Like I said a good entry level rifle not a full blown rifle right off of the bat so to speak.

My main HD guns are a Mossberg, Savage and a RIA 1911. But as I live in the country I'd like to have a rifle to back it all up.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'd like to hear more if anyone has anymore suggestions.

Well, if you're wanting to keep it around $500 or less, and you're worried about the problems with WASR's (canted sights and gas tubes), you might want to look into an AMD-65(Hungarian) or a Yugo M70 underfolder. I'm not familiar with any known problems with these two, and they can both be found for under $500.

Just FYI, if you do get an AMD, don't choke up on the front grip too much. That's the biggest flaw I've heard of with those, you can burn your hand during extended range sessions.

And with the Yugo, the barrels aren't chrome lined.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links