Which would you get? The AR or the AK - Page 4

Which would you get? The AR or the AK

This is a discussion on Which would you get? The AR or the AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rugergirl Shouldn't the thread title be "which one would you get first , the AR or AK? Good point, I vote AR, ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which would you get? The AR or the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Shouldn't the thread title be "which one would you get first, the AR or AK?
    Good point, I vote AR, and biuld it yourself!
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Where's the best place to buy an Arsenal?

thanks

-
    Look at Arsenal and Lancaster Consulting AK's.

If you join the AR15.com site Atlantic will give you a $30 discount on AK's. Their pricing and selection is good. AK pricing is slowly droping now so its a good time to think about buying. Skip the WASR's and get a quality build.

Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale

The best deal going now is the basic (sporting) Saiga from Centerfire Systems $299. You can convert the rifle to true AK config yourself easily and have a quality AK for less than $450.

Lancaster Consulting AK74
    I know AK's and this one is a very good quality build.

I have been shooting both AR and AK platforms for years and own several examples of each and now days the AK would be my go to gun if the SHTF.
    Last edited by pirate; February 14th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Pirate been waiting for you to chime in, LOL.

What about the VEPR K AK's from Robarm.com?

Are they accurate and good quality builds for the price

Is the 5.45 more accurate than the 7.62 AK's?

And will the aftermarket parts for the AK's fit a 5.45 AK?

The 7.62 has a greater range of bullet types and loadings it seems than the 5.45, so which would you suggest as a first time AK buy?

I like the thought of being able to take a deer if I have to with it , but really have better suited arms for that. I guess I am on the ropes on the caliber, would like to get 1 of each eventually but have to figure out where to start now.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    Pirate been waiting for you to chime in, LOL.

What about the VEPR K AK's from Robarm.com?

Are they accurate and good quality builds for the price

Is the 5.45 more accurate than the 7.62 AK's?

And will the aftermarket parts for the AK's fit a 5.45 AK?

The 7.62 has a greater range of bullet types and loadings it seems than the 5.45, so which would you suggest as a first time AK buy?

I like the thought of being able to take a deer if I have to with it , but really have better suited arms for that. I guess I am on the ropes on the caliber, would like to get 1 of each eventually but have to figure out where to start now.
    The VEPR K AK's from Robinson Armament Co. are outstanding rifles but I don't think they are producing them anymore even though they still show up on their web site. You may want to send them an E mail to be sure.

Some aftermarket AK47 items will work with the AK74 some will not.

The 5.45x39 is inherently more accurate than the 7.62x39, but in the real world a good shooter with an AK47 can outshoot an average shooter with an AK74.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

That would figure on the VEPR AK's. So I sent them a email to see if they was still producing them and selling them. There prices wasn't bad that they have listed on there site.

So what AK's would you recommend the Lancaster and the Arsenal? I have read allot of bad press on the Lancaster today on AR15.

Are there any others you would recommend?

Classic and Atlantic have one called a AK47 C on there website. I was wondering if this would be a good starter rifle?
    I don't know who makes them as I can't find the info and neither site says who it is.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Rigrat; February 14th, 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Pirate ,

You are correct the VEPR's are not being made anymore they are producing a different rifle the XCR.

My 10 cents...

I would get the AK first. And I would look at the 7.62.

It gives you a near hunting compatible platform (close to a 30-30) at up to 150 yards. It has more ammo choices. Another ammo benefit is pretty much ALL 5.45 is corrosive. Which means "after-shooting" care MUST be greater.

For cheap plinking on that platform... I would look at a 22 LR. You get cheap and can "practice" AK ergonomics.

Plus the 7.62 is a better bullet for urban hard targets and converting "perceived" cover into poor concealment. That is a factor worth considering.

Then you can get an AR with 223 and even look at the 308 (another hunting round that is also a cover converter PLUS way more accurate if you have the skills).

It's good to have both. I think the AK is a more appropriate STARTER platform since the temptation is more along the lines of using it and not customizing it.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

I've decided on a AK , just not which platform the 7.62 or the 5.45. I am leaning towards the 5.45 as it is allot cheaper to shoot. That and the fact the recoil is almost nothing will allow my daughter to shoot with me, where as the 7.62 will have a little kick that she may not like. On the plus of the 7.62 you just have allot more stuff available for it and I can get ammo locally. But with the 5.45 ammo selling for less than $175 / 1080 rounds would be easy enough to stock up a couple cans.

So right now looks like maybe the Lancaster Rough rider 5.45 like the one Pirate has posted except with wood furniture. That is if I can get one before they sell out of them. If they do sell out then I will be rethinking the 7.62 again and the possibility of a Arsenal SGL21-61.

If you are going with AK DO Not Go With WASR-10!!!

AK47 Rifles

Unless someone just wants to WASTE $$$ on a bayonet lug or flash-hider - the best Semi-Auto AK-47 variants ever imported into the U.S. are these foreign arsenal built AK-47's:
    1. Bulgarian SA-93, SLR-95, and SLR-96
    2. Chinese Norinco MAK-90/NHM-90/NHM-91/MAK-91
    3. The Hungarian SA-85M
    ALL of which represent a MUCH BETTER VALUE than a lesser-quality Romanian WASR-10, Century Arms GP-75, Century Yugo M70AB, Saiga or VEPR Russian-made AK-47 Rifles!

That was a good website that gave me lots of info that confered with other sites that i visited. Good Luck

Edit, I decided on a Norinco Mak-90 went and put a hundred dollars on it waiting on Tax return to hit so I can bring it home.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

And the Norinco has the double hook on the trigger a 1.6mm reciever as compared to most that are only 1mm thick. also a thicker better quality barrel also. Make sure to look for third rivit just above magazine and trigger, THIS IS AN ILLEGAL MACHINE GUN IF IT HAS THIS FEATURE. Just some things to look for Read, Read, Read then go to range and shoot both styles see what feels good to you.
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

Well from what I read a Arsenal, Lancaster, In Range, and many others are quite good quality. And the WASR is what it is a mass produced rifle for the military that may or not be up to ones standards. Lots of people will tell you to by a Kimber 1911 or Colt when in reality the RIA I have does just as good at a third of the cost.

The Lancaster and the TG are in my price range. Stepping above that if I could would be the In Range and the Arsenal. The IO and the Century builds are in my range but also are of the bottom of the group.

So as it stands i'll probably be checking into a Lancaster, TG Truck gun (if still on sale when I return) or a Arsenal. well thats the plan for now anyway.

Thanks for the tip about the third rivet , hadn't heard that one.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    for me...easy answer to your question without adding any other 'stuff'.
    1. and AR
    2. have bought many things from model 1 sales, and it is good stuff...their kits are nice...I would go that route.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

snowdoctor thanks for the input on model1sales. I was beginning to think no one used them. I do plan on a AR after the AK. And will have to look into model 1sales when I do.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i have bought three complete upper kits from them and built my own with stripped lowers....all are shot alot and are constructed well...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    5.45x39 has now been in use longer than 7.62x39. (For general troops in Russia) There has to be a reason why the Russians switched, and they don't have the excuse of NATO requiring it like some other countries.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links