Looking for first AR

This is a discussion on Looking for first AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking to buy my first AR and a few questions. I'm leaning towards a base model SW M&P15 ORC or Bushy ORC. I've heard ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for first AR

Looking for first AR

I'm looking to buy my first AR and a few questions. I'm leaning towards a base model SW M&P15 ORC or Bushy ORC. I've heard good things about both and Stag as well. I'm looking for something I can shoot targets/range and also for HD. I'd just like something base model as I'm sure I'll be replacing parts at some point and don't want to go ape right off the bat. I was hoping to stick with .223 since ammo was cheaper and I'm sure I'll be shooting quite often. If I went with .556, do they make a .22 conversion kit so that I can plink at a small price? What is the difference in range for a .223 versus .556 round? That's also a deciding factor since I'd like to be able to shoot farther for targets. All in all, I'm looking for a base model (cheaper the better) good quality AR that I can make exactly what I want when I figure out what that finally is.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    www.spikestactical.com

Go here and get what you really want, not just what the marketers are selling you. Great people. Great Products. Great prices.

Their .22 conversions are the best on the market and they also offer dedicated .22 uppers with a .22 barrel and proper twist rate.

They are easy folks to talk to and welcome NoObs with open arms. Call and ask to speak with Garret and he'll spend time with you and get you set up with a rifle you will be uniquely yours and you'll be proud to own.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    This is one of the best deals going for a hi end AR from Daniel Defense and gets you end for under 1K. Free shipping to your FFL also.

For what you are describing you are looking for a plinker/shooter not a AR with the upgrades that make a big difference if you are a comp shooter or using the rifle for serious work. If thats the case any of the major makers like DPMS, Bushmaster, Olympic, Rock River and Stag would serve you well.

Daniel Defense XV M4 Carbine .223/5.56 Rifle
    Last edited by pirate; February 6th, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Lead Moderator
    I would suggest searching on the brands you choose and start there. Any 5.56mm AR can use a .22 conversion (except Left hand models). Several conversion kits are out there as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have the standard Smith & Wesson M&P15 and took it out to the range yesterday to try Federal XM193 5.56 ammunition in it. I was kind of concerned because I heard reports of XM193 having QC issues. That concern was lifted when it ran flawlessly and all my rounds hit their mark. Hopefully S&W will run another M&P15 promotion where you can get five free Magpul PMags when you purchase one of their rifles... I am glad I got mine when I did.

S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt, Stag all make great M4 style ARs. I am real pleased with my Smith though it rocks!

I started out with this,

And I ended up with this,

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Figure out what features you want with the new gun (rail, sights, stock, etc.) and then compare the specs on the guns you are looking at. You might be surprised to find out that there is very little difference in price between a top quality gun a mediocre gun marketed as a "value" AR. I would (and did) spend the extra money on quality. You might feel the pinch once in your wallet, but you'll never regret it down the line.

Mic
    Look at Olympic arms, not too expensive and alot of options, I own one and have no issues, think it's a great starter with allot of mod potental
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Look at Olympic arms, not too expensive and alot of options, I own one and have no issues, think it's a great starter with allot of mod potental
    I would disagree with the recommendation of Olympic.

M4 CHART
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 22nd, 2010 at 09:30 AM.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    The first two paragraphs on this wikipedia article will explain the differences between .223 and 5.56.

Chooie's link to the M4 chart is a great start. Before you look at the nice little chart with all the X's, read through the explanation of benefits so you can educate yourself as to why these features are desirable. Then figure out what features you need based on the rifle's intended use (I believe you said home defense was part of it, so choose your features carefully). Once you find a rifle that meets those standards, everything else to the left on the chart will meet it too - so start shopping around. If you really do your homework, the difference between a garbage rifle and top of the line won't be as much as you'd think.

Also, as part of your looking around, I'd read the stickies over at M4Carbine.net's Technical Forum...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    If you really do your homework, the difference between a garbage rifle and top of the line won't be as much as you'd think.

Also, as part of your looking around, I'd read the stickies over at M4Carbine.net's Technical Forum...
    I found this to be the case as I started looking for a 5.56 AR. I wanted an M4 and started looking at Armalites, Bushmasters, Rock River, etc (not garbage by any means but not "top of the line" either) and even looked at putting one together myself. After checking around with local gunstores, gunshows and friends I ended up zeroing in on a Lewis Machine Tool (LMT) due to their reputation and QC. After wanting, and putting money down on their basic 16" Defender, I decided to upgrade to their CQB MRP Defender and my local dealer sold it to me for less than the LMT website MSRP and not too much more than their basic Defender.

I paid about $500 more than an Armalite, Bushy, or RR but look at this as a lifetime purchase. I suspect and hope that looking back at this additional $500 in 10-20 years, I will still think it was money well spent. And while $500 sounds like alot of money, and is 50% more than a basic M4, I'd rather put that money into the basic rifle and wait awhile for nice optics than put that money into nice optics today, and end up jonesing for a nicer M4 in the future.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

That recommendation from pirate on the Daniel Defense is an excellent one. I would definitely look into it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I love spikes glock conversion haha
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I was going to go with a bargain bin AR from CMMG but then found a guy local who has a DPMS predator, 2 cases, 200 rounds, and 5 30 round clips for $850. I'm trying to get him to $800 and I'll pull the trigger.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Why??? @ $800 you're so close to a quality rifle. Hell you could get a S&W M&P (which is good but not great) and use their rebate to get 5 PMAGs. You don't have the cases or ammo, but you've got a good gun.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by phigity View Post
    I'm looking to buy my first AR and a few questions. I'm leaning towards a base model SW M&P15 ORC or Bushy ORC. I've heard good things about both and Stag as well. I'm looking for something I can shoot targets/range and also for HD. I'd just like something base model as I'm sure I'll be replacing parts at some point and don't want to go ape right off the bat. I was hoping to stick with .223 since ammo was cheaper and I'm sure I'll be shooting quite often. If I went with .556, do they make a .22 conversion kit so that I can plink at a small price? What is the difference in range for a .223 versus .556 round? That's also a deciding factor since I'd like to be able to shoot farther for targets. All in all, I'm looking for a base model (cheaper the better) good quality AR that I can make exactly what I want when I figure out what that finally is.
    Colt, Colt, or maybe a Colt even.

This may help... So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

or here too... Rock River Arms:
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links