The Coach Gun has gone Tac-ta-cool - Page 2

The Coach Gun has gone Tac-ta-cool

This is a discussion on The Coach Gun has gone Tac-ta-cool within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [B]Maybe the light...............but an optic on SxS 12 gauge??? /B]...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Coach Gun has gone Tac-ta-cool

[B]Maybe the light...............but an optic on SxS 12 gauge???/B]
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

cool. gun. but way to expensive for what it is.

With only 2 shots, it should come from the factory with a side saddle on the stock for more rounds. That would be more useful than the top rail.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

this has been out since about Sept last year, i saw a thread here as a matter of fact, went to buy one....and the black painted wood killed it for me. they should have made it the same type of material as all the other black shotguns not painted wood. waste of money in my opinion, a good 870 is cheaper and has more rounds, hell a H&R pardner is cheaper and has more rounds
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

Whatever works, that's what counts.

What I like about coach guns is that they are caveman simple.
    Even a person with an IQ of 50 could figure it out and be functional.

This is beneficial for persons who are gun shy/fearful and/or persons with limited hand/arm function, the latter finding it difficult to operate a slide/pump action and manipulate the charging handle of a semi-auto.
    Also loading and unloading is stupid simple with a break action gun.

Yes capacity is limited to just two rounds...But seriously when is the last time you heard of more than one instance _per year_ where in a HD action the person needed to fire more than two rounds?
    It's exceedingly rare...even as having a cushion of greater than two round capacity is of course significant.
    Not that people don't choose to walk around on the street carrying break action single shot and double barrel Derringers as well as _depend_ on low powered and low capacity 380 ACP handguns (the absolute bare minimum power level applicable to combat use) and hope for single shot stops and/or win as by fusillade of shots fired.

As to this specific model by Stoeger I think this makes sense.
    I would not put an Aimpoint on one as shown in their marketing because well that is just plain stupid. It's a CQB shotgun not a 300m rifle.
    But having pic rails to allow option to mount a light on top of the receiver or below the barrels makes functional and practical sense.

All it needs is a stock mounted ammo cuff and it's ready to roll for a training run at the range.
    Next best thing in compact form factor to that of a short barrel shotgun, as without the $200 tax stamp cost penalty.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I would go with the single trigger and the light, but honestly - If you need an optical sight to acquire targets with that setup you are in trouble....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I would go with the single trigger and the light, but honestly - If you need an optical sight to acquire targets with that setup you are in trouble....
    Agreed. Dumb as hell.

Look at the target (standing just feet away in your hallway/living room/kitchen), level the barrels at it (barrels are the reference point) and pull the trigger.

Literally point and shoot.
    Folk have been doing this FTW with shotguns for nearly 200 yrs., no sight muchless optics required.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Like **** on a bull...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Anyone have a guess why Stoeger doesn't make anything in 18"? I find it odd that everything they make is 20".

Thoughts?
    Gideon

Coach gun to me = 2 shot, 12 ga. simplicity...boom,boom
    No lights, no sights..let the first shot light your target

VIP Member
    I've got a standard Stoeger coach gun and with 20" barrels it's very short. I like the double triggers and don't have any problems using two fingers. I got the 20ga. because my wife has trouble with the 12ga. recoil... I haven't done anything to it, but put a ammo cuff on it. I'm thinking about putting an XS big dot night sight on it...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Got to hold one of these new defense versions today along side a regular coach gun. First impression is the black painted wood doesn't look good. Not at all. It looks like black painted wood. Stoeger messed up by not going with a synthetic stock.

The upside is that if it ever got dinged up you could take flat black spray paint and touch it up and never notice.

The front bottom rail is almost a shiney enamil and it didn't look like a high end rail. The front rail also seems too long to me. You're only going to hang one thing off it but you can put it to the front or back by the end of the forearm.

I do LIKE the green fiberoptic sight. They got that right! Overall I was underwhelmed by it. The standary Stoeger coach gun was a much better looking gun in my opinion.

I did notice that the basic Stoeger has a butt plate but no recoil pad That would HURT.

I think a regular coach gun cut down with a recoil pad added would be every bit as good. They really should have gone with a synthetic stock and a better quality/finished rail.

If I got one of these, I'd be tempted to try bolting a one position rail on the forearm. Just enough to add a light.

I must say a coach gun sure feels very handy. If you practiced reloading while moving so you could shoot 4 rounds well, you'd be in good shape!!

Gideon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links