The Coach Gun has gone Tac-ta-cool

This is a discussion on The Coach Gun has gone Tac-ta-cool within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Stoeger has gone one step further with their coach guns with the release of the new Double Defense. The design is simple based off of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Coach Gun has gone Tac-ta-cool

The Coach Gun has gone Tac-ta-cool

Stoeger has gone one step further with their coach guns with the release of the new Double Defense. The design is simple based off of their proven coach gun design. New features include a single triger, green fiber-optic front sight, ported barrels, all metal is finished in a matte blue finish with matte black stock and forearm, and the addition of two picatinny rail accessory mounts: one on the receiver for red-dot sights and a second factory-installed rail under the barrels for attaching lasers or tactical lights.

I can see pros and cons with the release of stoeger's new design of a SD shotgun on a classic firearm. Pros would inculde, the fiber-optic front sight for better sight acquisition in low light environments vs the standard brass bead, single trigger for a quick follow up shot vs trying to switch to the second trigger, picatinny rail for solid flashlight mount vs cutting a rubber intertube into large rubber bands to attach the flashlight with, Cons would include, not having the option of firing both barrels at the same time, the ports would help reduce some of the muzzle climb but would it hamper night vision and also could increase the possibility of blow back, a remote switch would need to be added to the flashlight unless u would want it to remain in the constant on or off position,

The release of the redesigned coach gun with a new name, could draw more people to the use of a double barrel shotty for home SD.
    Last edited by JD; February 10th, 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Resized image.
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Hmm.

Interesting concept. I suppose it was just a matter of time.

I've got a coach gun but it has two hammers and two triggers and 20 inch barrells. I've killed a gazillion squirrels and rabbits with it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Honestly, I like everything but the ports...but even then, when I've fired ported barrel shotguns in lower light (just morning or falling twilight when deer hunting), I can't say I've ever really seen flash through the ports...full dark, however, may be different, just haven't tried it.

I would admit, though...I probably wouldn't mount a red-dot sight on the top rail...and remote switches aren't a bad idea on a long gun flashlight.

If I didn't already have a couple of shottys set up for HD, I could see myself seriously considering one of these.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I would admit, though...I probably wouldn't mount a red-dot sight on the top rail...and remote switches aren't a bad idea on a long gun flashlight.
    I wouldn't mount an optic on it either, due to the fact that a shotgun is designed to be pointed vs aimed like a rifle, and with an optic u would be more likely to try and aim it like a rifle

I have been looking at getting a coach gun and while i was looking at stoeger's website i ran across this and though i would share it. the pic is from their website
    Give me my guns and my right to keep and bear arms, and they can keep their change.

i don't get it. if i wanted a tactical shotgun, i'd just buy one. the point of having a coachgun is having a coachgun, not having some tactical mess posing as one.

Might have to add another Coach gun to my collection. Does it have ejectors or extractors?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

This is my coach gun in 12 ga... Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge and 20-Gauge with 3” Chamber

Instead of all the tactical stuff, I had a couple C-notes of work done to the gun by this guy... Coyote Cap Gunworks

I'm not sure of the need for a fiber optic front sight in 'dim light'. This is not a gun, especially with 00 Buck, that one would even use a sight.

I am definitely in the minority here who prefer the coach gun for HD.

Stay armed...point 'n shoot...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I handled one of the Tactical models the other day...They are ok. They will probably sell plenty because of the "paint it black and call it tactical" crowd.

I tend to think I would rather have one like Retsupts though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I just don't have the words... Although 'sacrilege' comes to mind (okay, '***' was honestly the first that crossed).

according to their website they have extractors

i am also looking for a traditional model, was looking at the silverado standard stock model that they ofer just thought i would share this when i found it on their website while i was looking

Retsupt99 how does the nickel finish hold up on yours? do u know if they used the electroless nickel finish on the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by J man View Post
    according to their website they have extractors

i am also looking for a traditional model, was looking at the silverado standard stock model that they ofer just thought i would share this when i found it on their website while i was looking

Retsupt99 how does the nickel finish hold up on yours? do u know if they used the electroless nickel finish on the gun?
    Not a problem, in over 3 years...not sure about the process. Coyote Cap (see previous post) did about $200 worth of work... (from a previous post)...

Here's what Coyote did for me...
    Honed the chambers so shells would drop out from gravity alone.
    Carefully removed sharp edges from around the breach face and the chamber mouths to reduce hangups.
    Modified the firing pin...sightly longer (this avoids a problem with Stoegers after may rounds)
    Smoothed up the internals, including a spring kit that made it easier to operate the lever that opens the gun. (The gun literally 'falls open'.)
    Disabled the automatic safety that engaged every time the gun was opened. The safety can still be engaged manually.
    Added a larger bead sight...for eyes in their 60's.

When I got it back, it was a different gun. He took an inexpensive Stoeger and made it ready for competition...really smooth.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i don't get it. if i wanted a tactical shotgun, i'd just buy one. the point of having a coachgun is having a coachgun, not having some tactical mess posing as one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I handled one of the Tactical models the other day...They are ok. They will probably sell plenty because of the "paint it black and call it tactical" crowd.

I tend to think I would rather have one like Retsupts though.
    +1 to both. I'm not into tacticool. I do like the coachgun like Retsups. It's on my short list.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Mine is similar to Hotguns, barrels just half an inch over legal, it was bought new that way. It's got a dark wood stock and blued metal, not tactical at all. I got it way years ago, at the time I needed a fast handling, short shottie for grouse and rabbit hunting in thick woods and undergrowth. It did the job and more. I think the same characteristics make it a good HD weapon.
    "Come Watson, the game is afoot!"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not a problem, in over 3 years...not sure about the process. Coyote Cap (see previous post) did about $200 worth of work... (from a previous post)...

Here's what Coyote did for me...
    Honed the chambers so shells would drop out from gravity alone.
    Carefully removed sharp edges from around the breach face and the chamber mouths to reduce hangups.
    Modified the firing pin...sightly longer (this avoids a problem with Stoegers after may rounds)
    Smoothed up the internals, including a spring kit that made it easier to operate the lever that opens the gun. (The gun literally 'falls open'.)
    Disabled the automatic safety that engaged every time the gun was opened. The safety can still be engaged manually.
    Added a larger bead sight...for eyes in their 60's.

When I got it back, it was a different gun. He took an inexpensive Stoeger and made it ready for competition...really smooth.
    Retsupt99

Thank you for the information, I had read a previous post about your coach gun and what Coyote Cap had done for you. I had read this when I first started looking at the coach guns and have kept them in mind. I will deffinately check more into them when I do make my purchase

Anybody know anything about the Century Arms models? They look inexpensive, but well made.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links