Daylight and Red Dots

This is a discussion on Daylight and Red Dots within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I bought my Tapco 10/22 I decided to buy my first red dot. It costs me $60 (Barska) and thought it would work pretty ...

Thread: Daylight and Red Dots

Daylight and Red Dots

When I bought my Tapco 10/22 I decided to buy my first red dot. It costs me $60 (Barska) and thought it would work pretty well since it wasn't bottom of the line cheap.

It works fine and holds a zero BUT only in low light conditions. I literally cannot see the dot in bright or even moderately bright lights.

How do you tell when you are buying a dot that will work in bright light just based on the specifications of the sight (i.e. when you are buying from the internet, ect.).

2. Remove Ads

Buy quality. Buy a known performer. Eotech, Trijicon, ETC. Both solid performers and built to last. They work well from sunny beach to cloudy night. There isn't a specification for recital brightness to speak of.

Haha Eotech and Trijicon huh? On a 10/22? Maybe I should have said my price range is between $50 $70. I've shot with iron since I was able to hold my first gun and never used an optic. I just want to get my foot in the door.

So, cheap red dot or cheap fixed power scope for 25-100 yards?

Administrator
    I know it sounds like a stupid question, but have you put fresh batteries in the Barska?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just because it's a 10/22 doesn't necessarily mean cheap. Some people pimp those out and end up worth bunches.

You are probably looking at about the norm already for sub $100 red dots. You could also go to the Bushnell HOLOsight which is the Eotech light version but it's still in the $240 range instead of the $500 ballpark. Your best bet is to find a plain low end scope. Check out WalMart the have them on sale often.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know it sounds like a stupid question, but have you put fresh batteries in the Barska?
    Yeah I checked that. It came with one, my dealer threw in a free one and I bought a third. They are all just as "bright" outdoors.

Well I appreciate the help guys. Since I didn't like the red dot too much, I think I'll try a fixed powered scope this time around.

I have a BSA red dot that works fine in broad daylight. This one has the brightness control though.

This is a Millet SP-1 Red Dot on my Ruger 22/45. $79.99 from Midway. 3 MOA dot with 11 brightness levels, great visibility indoors and out. Huge bang for the buck, available in black or silver.

Sig Sauer P239 SAS DAK 9mm (EDC)
    MR Micro Desert Eagle .380 acp (BUG)
    Glock G30sf .45 acp (HD)
    Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader 12ga (HD)
    WASR 10/63 AK-47 7.62x39 (SHTF)

Quote Originally Posted by nadavis View Post
    Haha Eotech and Trijicon huh? On a 10/22? Maybe I should have said my price range is between $50 $70. I've shot with iron since I was able to hold my first gun and never used an optic. I just want to get my foot in the door.

So, cheap red dot or cheap fixed power scope for 25-100 yards?
    In that price range, you'll be hard pressed to get a quality red dot optic that has the full range of brightness you want.

For the 10/22, I'm fond of the Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x32 - about $50, with rings. It's actually hard to find a fixed-power scope in that price range anymore, at least one that's not a complete piece of junk.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I have a BSA red dot that works fine in broad daylight. This one has the brightness control though.
    +1

I've had the same batteries in mine since '98 or '99. I originally had it on an AR, then a Mossberg 500A, used it for paintball, on my AK, etc. Right now it's sitting in a box, but last time I picked it up and turned the knob it lit up nice and bright.

Mine is the RD30 sold at Walmart.

Links