Mossberg 464 lever action .30-30

This is a discussion on Mossberg 464 lever action .30-30 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While researching for a lever action rifle, I found the following. I also found a retailer that has it listed for $399.00. I did search, ...

Thread: Mossberg 464 lever action .30-30

Mossberg 464 lever action .30-30

While researching for a lever action rifle, I found the following. I also found a retailer that has it listed for $399.00. I did search, and found a brief thread that mentions it, from '08'.

I would appreciate, if anyone has any experience with the specific item, your response. Thanks.....

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    For my money, I'd prefer a pre 64 Winchester model 94 or an older Marlin 336. You know, the ones they used to make before the lawyers got involved and made them put a safety on a rifle with a hammer?

My .02.
    Last edited by GunnyBunny; February 14th, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I have read up on the Winchesters, the Marlins, the Rossi models, and the Henry. That Mossberg looks interesting at the $400 price.

I found one 'professional' review, but am hoping someone here has some personal experience.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

For about that same money, you could have the time-tested Marlin 30-30...mine is a 336 in stainless. They don't make 30-30's much nicer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Retsupt, the Marlins are definitely still in the running. I have about made my decision that one of them will be in my collection, soon. It may just come down to availability.

Mossberg and Marlin Rifles 30-30 Rifles

Hi Group:

New to the forum but could not resist responding to this thread.

I recently bought a Mossberg 464 and have put about 20 rounds through it, without problems. I know that some early models had problems but it seems that Mossberg has corrected them, or at least I hope so. The early Mossberg's had broken extractor problems and I knew that going to purchase the rifle but took a chance and have been pleased with the rifles performance so far.

In regards to the Marlin 30-30, it is a great rifle and a great design. But I could not stand that button safety so I bought a kit that does away with it. That kit is sold over the internet from someone in Wisconsin. Anyway once I got rid of the safety I installed a Wild West Trigger which reduced the trigger pull down to a nice 3.5 pounds. Now my Marlin is an excellent rifle.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

VIP Member
    'Sounds like some good, qualified feeback from Trashman11.

I went with the Marlin 336, partially due to availablity. It's a rugged mother, and Walmart had it for $341.

You're not complete until you own a lever-action ;-)

VIP Member
    At the same (or near to it) price point you should buy the Marlin. You'd be a fool not to. It's time tested and field proven for decades. I like Mossbergs products but anything new to the market usually has some teething issues in the first few years.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I wrote the OP. Last Monday, I went to a shop that had the Mossberg, Marlins, Rossis, and Henrys side by side. He also had a used Winchester. I compared them for a good while, handled each one several times. I took a good deal of time.

Price knocked out the Henrys, feel knocked out the Mossberg, price also knocked out the Rossis, (but I wanted that .45 Colt 'powerful bad', and the .357/.38sp was tempting, also). The Marlin .30-30 was only 28dollars less than the .35Rem. Marlin, and the Marlin 'fit like a glove', so to speak.

Marlin it was, in .35Rem.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    ya done good :)

Links