Shotgun barrel question

This is a discussion on Shotgun barrel question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anyone enlighten me on whether it is safe to fire buckshot out of a ventilated 28 inch "bird barrel" with an adjustable choke? How ...

Thread: Shotgun barrel question

Shotgun barrel question

Can anyone enlighten me on whether it is safe to fire buckshot out of a ventilated 28 inch "bird barrel" with an adjustable choke? How about slugs? I've had experience with 18 inch defensive shotguns but not hunting shotguns. Thanks...

2. Remove Ads

When you say vented barrel, I assume you mean vented rib barrel. If not, ignore this post.
    I have never heard of anyone having a problem shooting buckshot from any smooth bore shotgun. Some semi auto shot guns require a simple adjustment when going from low powered to high powered shells.
    Slugs can be a little different. Depents on the type slug and how tight your choke is.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

you can shoot slugs out of a smooth bore barrel but if you want accuracy you should get a rifled barrel. I shoot 00 buckshot out of my smooth bore Mossberg with a 28" barrel. I also have a 20" fully rifled barrel for slugs.

So to answer your question, yes you can shoot buckshot but i would remove the choke when shooting slugs.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiHerd View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me on whether it is safe to fire buckshot out of a ventilated 28 inch "bird barrel" with an adjustable choke? How about slugs? I've had experience with 18 inch defensive shotguns but not hunting shotguns. Thanks...
    Are you saying a poly choke or screw in, screw out replaceable chokes? With the former I'm not sure I would shoot slugs out of it. With the latter you can just buy a slug choke. Buckshot would be OK with either but you don't want a full choke in there.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

With smooth bores I've had the best accuracy from rifled slugs (not rifled bore, but rifled slugs). I've since gone to a slug barrel, and performance tipped up dramatically.

You should not have a problem with buckshot in a smooth bore barrel irrespective of the choke, but ya don't wanna use it in a rifled barrel. <g>

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    You can shoot most slugs out of most barrels nowadays, as I haven't really found a non fosters style slug in some time. At least by default.

As far as buckshot, it should all be good. Unless it is steel plated shot and you have a super full choke "turkey" configuration.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If you shoot slugs out of a poly choke, open it all the way or it may open it for you.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Links