Ruger mini .30

This is a discussion on Ruger mini .30 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im interested in buying one , Does anyone know the pros and cons? I already have an A.K. , And an A.R. , But I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger mini .30

Ruger mini .30

Im interested in buying one , Does anyone know the pros and cons? I already have an A.K. , And an A.R. , But I've always been interested in these rifles. Tell me what Ya'll think.

2. Remove Ads

What i have read i have no actually exp with these guns .. is its hit or miss on getting one that is accurate they seem to run the barrel bore size anywhere from 308 which is wrong for the 7.62x39 caliber to 315 which is still to big if ya get a 308 one and got a custom set of dies it would probley be a tack shooter lot more bullets avaible in 308 than 311

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    Hi fellas you can order it with an acurized barrel.

But like i said before ruger didn't want the assault label and didn't want to sell ten round mags ect, at least not in cali.

I've shot my mini 30 at least 10000 times as long as I keep it relatively clean it shoots straight I did have a problem with the trigger group after about two hundred rounds it would fall out. So I sent it back to ruger and they fixed it pd. thing shoots great its no rem 700 in 300winmag but its a great varmint round or defensive round and will shoot the cheapest or the best ammo with out hiccups.

I like mine just my.02 but I shoot the heck out of this gun and so does my son as far as larger mags a friend in utah that I work with said he has had some luck with ar style mag but be real careful has said some with week or damaged springs have given him three shot burst, after all the gun was designed to compete with the m16 in the trials that the m16 won due to mfg cost and the fact that the military needed a synthetic stock.

Because wood swells in the heat and humidity. I have a synthetic on mine and it shoots better than the factory wood one. btw wolf ammo is the ammo we plink with most i like the little mini-30 am building a cali legal ar as i get the funds to build it .We will see witch one shoots better in the coming months good luck and happy shooting

Edited to Space it out Bud White

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    thanks bud im trying to get this writing thing down lol

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I had an early model Mini-14 that had some feed problems. Save your money up and buy a Springfield M1A.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

The only reason to buy a Mini 30 is if you want a 5rd semi-auto 7.62x39. Is that what you want or do you want an assault rifle?

I have a couple Mini 14 rifles and I love them,but I don't see much purpose for the Mini 30 because magazines are harder to find than the Mini 14.

+1 Doc Holliday on the springfield M1A1 IMHO.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My Mini 30 is my house rifle to back up the Winchester Defender shotgun. 6-20 round mags make for some serious home defense!
    There is a great website, Accuracy Systems, Inc., that will accurize your minis, and other rifles to true tack drivers, but the boys aren.t exactly cheap...

Had one years ago, was lucky if I could keep 5 rounds on paper @100yds. That thing was the most inaccurate gun I have ever owned, only put about 300 through it before selling it, and got tired of trying to find/work up a good load. Other than the accuracy issue, I could not get it to malfunction.
    "My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
    (Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Why do you want a rifle that shoots a pistol round?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

The Mini 30 shoots the 7.62x39mm round. Not even close to a pistol round. Its just as or more effective at close range as the 223.

If I can get my uncle to sell me his Mini 14 at a good price I might buy his. That is if it is reliable and reasonably accurate. Hi-Cap mags for the 30 seem to be harder to find.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    as efective as a .223.
    That's my point.
    A pistol round.

.308 or 30-06.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Ah I see what you mean. I sure wish I could get a good pocket pistol in .223.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I bought a Mini-14 over 20 years ago. It was one of the first 180 series. It was one of the very first SS models also. I loved it for what it was. It made a great,fast swinging ,yote gun while calling a road. I used it for the "round the bend" shots that were no more than 50-70 yards.

I later bought a SS Ranch model but it would not shoot better than 6" at 100yds. with a Leupold scope attached. I quickly sold it. I never met anyone that said the Mini's were even the least bit accurate(well maybe so-so). With the Ranch I didn't expect a tack driver,but damn.

My point is this. If I wanted a weapon that shot the 7.62 x 39 round. I'd buy a AK. My opinion........most AK's will outshoot a Mini-30 any day of the week. And you can do so much more with a AK. Also a AK will eat anything. Sometimes a Mini can be picky.

IMO for a 7.62 x 39 shooter ......go with the AK. -----------

If I could get decent 20 round magazines for the Mini 30, I'd probably buy one.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links