Swiss K-31 Rifle

This is a discussion on Swiss K-31 Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While in Prescott, Arizona over the last 2 weeks, I couldn't resist taking a trip down to J&G Sales, a local (and nationwide) firearms and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss K-31 Rifle

VIP Member

Thumbs up Swiss K-31 Rifle

While in Prescott, Arizona over the last 2 weeks, I couldn't resist taking a trip down to J&G Sales, a local (and nationwide) firearms and ammo distributor. Last fall, I purchased a Savage Enfield No.4 Mk 1 surplus rifle from them... this time around, I couldn't resist picking up one of the Schmidt-Rubin K-31 Swiss 7.5 rifles that I've read so much about...

The rifle features a straight pull bolt system and an excellent bore, and I was extremely impressed with the workmanship and accuracy when my brother and I took it to the desert and shot it. The only current draw-back to the rifle is the ammunition cost...I purchased Swiss surplus ammo at approx. 39 cents per round...the salesman told me that Wolf and (I believe) S&B are going to start mfg and selling the 7.5 Swiss rounds.

I would rate this rifle as one of the best bargains around
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

I have a k-31 there a neat rifle

Assistant Administrator
    Often thought of getting one Rick, but ammo was what put me off.

I have sorta ceased my C&R purchases for some while - but am an Enfield fan.

My current C&R's are - Spanish 1916 Mauser (.308 chambered but not for full pressure stuff), Mossin 91/30, M38, Ishapore Enfield (.308), MkV Jungle carbine (that's a hoot to shoot!), oh and SKS's - and a Hakim. That's probably it.

Glad you enjoyed the Swiss - I have heard that folks consider that, next to a K98 - among the best C&R's for accuracy and even tweaking to sniper category status.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Often thought of getting one Rick, but ammo was what put me off.
    It's a dilema for sure, Chris...but i figgered that while ammo may become more available and cheaper in the future, the supply of these rifles will dry up, and prices can only go in one direction from there...

Plus, I forgot to mention that my Great-Grandparents on my Mother's side emigrated from Switzerland...thought I should own one. (This will also be my rationalle when I finally purchase a Sig...)

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    the supply of these rifles will dry up
    Dead on Rick and probably I should get one - if I'd been near J&G or up my way near to SOG - would have picked one up.

I think we will see all C&R type stuff gradually dry up - already signs of that even instance Makarov pistols - they are creeping up in price and seemingly not as prolific as once.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I think we will see all C&R type stuff gradually dry up - already signs of that...
    The salesman at J&G mentioned that Switzerland is going to sign on to the <spit> U.N. small arms treaty, and will cease shipping surplus arms immediately...if most other countries sign on, I'm afraid that the dry-up may not be gradual

I hope that this isn't the case...

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    One of my shooting buddies has one. It's a great shooting rifle.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Moderator
    I liked it so much that I got two.

Both are exellent shooters. Ammo costs are high unless one reloads.

I got 100 rounds of new brass from Grafs for 23 bucks.

For those that dont know, the 7.5 Swiss uses a standard .30 caliber bullet, so reloading is no problem once you have the dies. Its about on par with a .30-.06 powerwise.Bullets in the 180 range are accurate and come very close to factory loads.

The factory ammo is unusually accurate and the Swiss loaded it to match grade specs...one of the reasons for its well known accuracy.

Senior Moderator
    Glad you enjoyed the Swiss - I have heard that folks consider that, next to a K98 - among the best C&R's for accuracy and even tweaking to sniper category status.
    To be honest, Ive never seen a standard K-98 hang with any Swiss K-31.I have several K-98's and they arent even in the same league. In my expeirences with the MilSurps, I would rate the 7.5MM K-31 and the 6.5MM M96 Swiss as superior to the K-98.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    How is the butt of the K31s that J&G has in stock?

I have a K31, but like most that have been imported, the butts took a beating and look pretty bad.

I'd be interested in picking another one up, as long as the stock is in VG or better shape.

Could you also share prices from J&G?

I live a couple thousand miles from there, but have a C&R FFL so if they sound like a deal it might be worth jumping on it.

Thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    How is the butt of the K31s that J&G has in stock?
    I looked at 3 different rifles, and they all seemed to be pretty similar... some water damage on the first inch or 2 of stock from drilling in the snow, but nothing I couldn't live with. I left the rifle in Arizona, so I'm not able to take a picture.

Buttplate was in VG condition, and my rifle had the tag under the plate with the name of the soldier that it was issued to.

Price was $130...they are probably available for less elsewhere, but I liked being able to handle several rifles myself

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Thanks for the intel on condition of the K31s.

Team, Congrats on the K31.

I own two Walnut K31's myself. They are both great shooters - accuracy is as good as, if not better than, most commercial hunting rifles. AIM Surplus used to have them for $100 - not sure if they still do.

Ammunition is simply no longer a problem. The Swiss GP-11 Surplus is still plentiful - although may not be for long. It is a bit more expensive than other surplus ammunition - but it is match-grade and will shoot VERY accurately. Too bad it is Berdan primed.

I have shot the Prvi Partizan ammo ($8.25 a box http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/c..._7_5swiss.html) and it is decent - though not as accurate as the GP-11 surplus. Still - it is boxer primed - and reloadable. I use the Prvi for plinking and reload the used brass for serious work. You can also get brass (cheaper than Norma) from graf's. FWIW - Prvi Partizan manufactures the Wolf Gold line of ammo.

Get a few chargers from http://www.tngunparts.com. Yes - they are made of tin and cardboard - but hold up pretty well.

Also - take a look at the Mojo aperture sights. They offer a great reversible alternative to the standard swiss irons. Also, do a search on Darrel's Scope Mounts - if interested in a scout scope setup.

I can't say enough good things about the K31. The workmanship is superb, the accuracy is phenomenal, and the straight-pull bolt is fast and just darn cool. When you hold a Schmidt-Rubin and work that slick, smooth action - you know you are holding a piece of Swiss art. For $100 - everyone should own one - or two.

And don't forget to check under the buttplate for a surprise.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the additional info, Joe

I found the tag under the buttplate with the previous owners name and some other info that I couldn't quite understand

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    would be interesting to send a leter to the soldier that fought with that rifal if he or she is still alive and just say hi and thanks for breaking it in for you wouldnt that be a hoot might get some indepth info on your gun to in the bargian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links