Hi Point 955 TS (I know, I know) Questions.

This is a discussion on Hi Point 955 TS (I know, I know) Questions. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm brand new to DC and landed here because of several days of research for pistol caliber carbines. I almost "pulled the trigger" on a ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sasquatch71
  • 1 Post By pirate

Thread: Hi Point 955 TS (I know, I know) Questions.

I'm brand new to DC and landed here because of several days of research for pistol caliber carbines. I almost "pulled the trigger" on a cx4 Storm but instead, decided on the less expensive 955 TS, mainly due to cost and not knowing whether I'll be comfortable with a carbine. I've owned and used handguns and long guns all my life, served several hitches in the Army (M16 era), and hold a CWP.

In my research I stumbled upon many reviews and testimonials regarding Hi Point, their weapons and "unparalleled" warranty and customer service. Many of those posted on this site. So. On to my question:

A couple of the members here, Shadow and Landor in particular, did nice jobs tricking out their 955's. Where do you find all the accessories and are they available for the TS series? (tactical laser scopes, barrel shrouds, etc.)

In all my searching I'm finding a very limited list. Anyway, thanks for any input. I'll look forward to becoming a regular here.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker View Post
    I'm brand new to DC and landed here because of several days of research for pistol caliber carbines. I almost "pulled the trigger" on a cx4 Storm but instead, decided on the less expensive 955 TS, mainly due to cost and not knowing whether I'll be comfortable with a carbine. I've owned and used handguns and long guns all my life, served several hitches in the Army (M16 era), and hold a CWP.
    You are in DC and hold a CWP?
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    You are in DC and hold a CWP?
    I think by DC he means Defensive Carry (the forum)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yes, sorry. New to the forum.

Here's a great forum for Hipoint questions.I own a Hipoint JHP .40 myself.
    Hipoint Firearms Forums - Index
    GoldwingElf likes this.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have heard good things about Hi Point carbines. The pistols... not so much.

The carbine should have weaver rails on it so you can probably mount accessories pretty easy. Check out some AR accessories to get started.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The carbine is a great weapon for what it is, inside of 150 yards you can lay your rounds wherever you would like a tight enough patten. However much past 150 and the drop off gets severe. The high point is great deal on the market. The only downside is the 10 round mag and the highpoint stock. ATI makes a great replacement tho.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have a Hipoint carbine and put an ATI stock on it. Works great. I'm inept with pics or I would post some. The Hi Point carbine is a great lttle shooter. I've experienced no problems with mine at all. Mine is a 9mm by the way.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Carbines= pretty good. Pistols= Used to be your toaster.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I went through the same thing. I just wanted a 9mm carbine but won't be using it for SD so I went the Hi-Point route. Here's my take

-They're absolutely utterly reliable (at least mine is) with any ammo I use
    -The magazines are the weak link. There are NO reliable hi capacity magazines, really none! Promags are junk and almost never work in the gun unless you tweak and tweak them. So you're limited to 10 round mags and they're totally hit and miss for reliability. The one that came with my gun is perfect. I bought two more from the factory and they would jam on the first one or two rounds until they were down to 6 or 7 rounds. If I short loaded them they were okay. I got schematics and a caliper and tweaked the lips, took them apart and cleaned/buffed springs, inside walls, etc. but even though I they got a bit better they were never 100% reliable. I went to other forums and tried every trick like leaving them loaded for a month At the end of the day I called Hi-Point and they were happy to replace them. I haven't had a chance to try them.
    -Mine is very very accurate
    -The new stock is an improvement over the older model. With the older model you got some cheek slap. I'm not sure about the newer model. I put mine in an ATI stock that makes it look like a CX4 but the fit and finish of the ATI stock is fair to crude but still very functional.
    -The new TS version holds the bolt open after the last round. This is good. The old version doesn't.

All in all for a fun plinking gun they can't be beat. If this is for serious home SD I would recommend you stop and buy the Berretta.

As for parts, there's a guy on Ebay that sells rails, (full top rail/nice) after market trigger, shrouds, an extra large mag release, etc. There's also a guy who makes parts called Bushman Parts. You can find lasers and the such by googling them.

Again a fun cheap alternative but even though mine has been reliable I wouldn't buy it with HD in mind.

Gideon

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Not to steer you away from our top notch forum but the Hi Point forum has a wealth of info on the HP995 including aftermarket assesories. http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...board,3.0.html

If you do a search here you will find several recent posts on the 995.

I had had a lot of fun and relaible service from my 995.

OldWeirdRon likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks everyone. Guess I didn't do as much reasearch as I thought. I appreciate the help. We have a gun show here this weekend so I know where I'll be for at least part of Saturday. I'll post pix of mine when it's done.

Nice looking re-do there, Pirate.

Have not had any problems with my Hi-point 9MM carbine or pistols.

Thumbs up Geeze... What a carry list. Only thing missing is .30 Cal. Turn Signals...

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Not to steer you away from our top notch forum but the Hi Point forum has a wealth of info on the HP995 including aftermarket assesories. Hipoint Firearms Forums

If you do a search here you will find several recent posts on the 995.

I had had a lot of fun and relaible service from my 995.

I just picked up a 955 used and figure that after 2 FS92 clips if anyone is still in yhe house it is a good clean-up weapon. I would like a larger capacity mag or two but now the search begins. Excellent weapon for the price and don't have to carry other ammo than for my primary.

I have posted about 995's on here before--my grandchildren and friends who go to the range with us always pick up the Hi-Point to just shoot at steel with. Most of the time new shooters tell me it is their favorite. Mine is stock with a cheep red dot on it and I have never had a FTF or FTE with it with cheap, steek, handloaded, or homecast lead ammo. I also have 4 of the Pro-Mag extended mags and they function perfectly. V ery little recoil is another plus.

No it is not a Beretta or Browning--but it is a fun cheap toy for everyone to enjoy. Seems that 10 to 17 year olds don't realize that it is ugly, crude and probably farts out loud in the safe, they just like to shoot it. Cheaper to fire than an AR or even AK,

It is not a battle gun, but if it was all I had loaded in my hand, I would not fear for my life. Use it, shoot it and enjoy it and do not worry about the correct police at the range. Remember more real folks drive Chevys than Mercedes.

Links