Shotgun Options for Guys w/Short Arms.... - Page 2

Shotgun Options for Guys w/Short Arms....

This is a discussion on Shotgun Options for Guys w/Short Arms.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a matter of note...All shotguns are versatile as related to fit. One size does not fit all with any gun be it a shotgun ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As a matter of note...All shotguns are versatile as related to fit.

One size does not fit all with any gun be it a shotgun of any sort, rifle, handgun or be it a pair of shoes and Underroos.
    This is a fact of life, living and all humans being sized within ranges.

Before anyone buys a stocked gun (longgun) they should be aware of their own length of pull (LOP) measurement and that of the gun they are thinking to purchase.
    No different than buying a shirt, suit jacket or coat....And we all have at one time in life bought at least one of these once and needed to know our own specific sizing.

For newer shooters you can get your LOP measured at most any decent gunshop, and Dicks too.
    If the person behind the counter does not understand or know what length of pull is then ask for someone different or go spend your coin elsewhere...Because this is nothing new at all and should be a recognized term by any experienced longgun shooter.

Every manufacturer of rifles and shotguns that I am aware of provides stocks in different LOPs. Some time they offer short stocks as an option factory direct (call the mfr.). Other times they offer varying models of same exact receiver, action and barrel but with shortened stock identified as "Youth" or women specific models. Do not get hung up on that terminology as it's simply for purpose of marketing. Shooting a youth or womens oriented gun will function no different than any other and it does not require you to be nor make you into a youth by age or woman by gender.

Further most every mfr. offers OEM replacement stocks as in short/youth lengths.
    Not to mention adjustable stocks available both OEM and aftermarket.
    Adjustable stocks for longguns are designed to address just this application...Length of pull.

There is no need at all to go buying a specific brand/make of gun nor to purchase a second gun and waste coin.
    The Mossberg 500 and 590 for example use the same stock and foreend. The 500 and 590 both are available OEM with short stocks.

500 short stock = 'Bantam' (fixed short), 'Super Bantam' (adjustable) and 'Youth' (fixed short)
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

While the 590A1 series is available as in 'Compact' (short 'youth' stock) as well as OEM with an adjustable stock.
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Contact Mossberg directly and order a stock that will fit your specific need. Doing so is far less expensive than buying a second gun (!).

Remington, Benelli, Browning and everybody else as well as Stoeger works same.

Remington Adjustable Length of Pull System - Gun Parts

Never mind the aftermarket too including but not exclusive to Knoxx.

TACTICAL 6 POSITION SHOTGUN STOCK GRIP FOR MOSSBERG 500 - eBay (item 350311404010 end time Mar-01-10 15:59:43 PST)

Additional information:
    * How To Achieve Proper Length Of Pull (Part 1) (Sports & Outdoors: Hunting & Shooting)
    * How To Achieve Proper Length Of Pull (Part 2) (Sports & Outdoors: Hunting & Shooting)
    * You and me and the LOP - Length of Pull
    * A Proper Gun-Fitting: The Key to Consistent Shotgun Shooting

Keep in mind length of pull is _critical_ not just for comfort but toward being functionally able to correctly handle any longgun regardless of action type/brand/weight/overall length/brand/make/whatever as toward being _safe_ and optimally capable in use.

All stocks on most any longgun, shotgun or rifle, can be custom fit in specific length of pull to the individual operator through a variety of different methods.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; February 19th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I am a short guy at 5'5" and I think you guys are all missing the key point. it is NOT about the length of pull but actually the reach to the forend. if you have short arms the hand you use to stabilize the shotgun is stretched out and it's the equivalent of holding a 7 pound dumbell a foot from you versus the same weight 2 feet away. the gun gets heavy more quickly because you are doing extra work and also it is more difficult to point with. the difficulty pointing the gun makes it more dangerous than getting tired faster actually. I had a 870 tactical and did not notice it until I tried it our and a benelli supernova. The supernova had a shorter forend. so I know this issue has been "resolved" but this is some insight to you guys who assume its the LOP

Quote Originally Posted by eksine View Post
    I am a short guy at 5'5" and I think you guys are all missing the key point. it is NOT about the length of pull but actually the reach to the forend.
    Well, when I think of "practical" LOP, it certainly entails more than simply the length to the trigger. As you suggest, it entails one's full and complete ability to operate the weapon. Just so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links