Shotgun Options for Guys w/Short Arms....

This is a discussion on Shotgun Options for Guys w/Short Arms.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I'm down to my last few guns on my "last guns I need for my life" list. One I keep putting off in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Options for Guys w/Short Arms....

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Shotgun Options for Guys w/Short Arms....

Hi all, I'm down to my last few guns on my "last guns I need for my life" list. One I keep putting off in favor of others that are more fun to me is a good HD shottie.

I like the Remington 870 plain jaine with extended tube. I hunt with a semi-auto shotgun so where my hand is on the forearm isn't a big deal. I'm only 5'7" and so I choke up on the shotgun, sometimes gripping the front of the receiver.

On a pump, I feel like my arm is stretched WAY out there to reach out front and get a hold of the forearm. I can work with it but it's a tade bit awkard.

I'll continue to use a hangun for home SD but still think I ough to have at least one SD shottie in the house.

I'm wondering if there are options like after market forearms that are extended rearward? Of course this is counter productive for a combat shotgun because it gets in the way of a side saddle. So is there another consideration or should I just not worry about it?

The only other thought I've had is to go the stage gun route with a double barrel because then you don't have that problem but I'm not too keen on only 2 rounds and then a reload.

So any thoughts or ideas?

The list is down to 3 remaining guns and this is one of them

Thanks
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

I'm one of the few here who like coach guns, and here's what I have... Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge and 20-Gauge with 3” Chamber
    Mine's in 12 ga.

I keep 2- 00 bucks in the tubes, and 5 more on the side, and I can shoot and reload in just a second or two. Around the house I won't need more than the first two barrels, then the .45 takes over.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

get the youth stock for the gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Who says you can't use the semi-auto for HD?

Benelli has a pump where the forend extends to the front of the receiver and covers the side of the receiver when all the way to the rear. Maybe you could get a custom forend that does the same thing.

Vertical forend grip?

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    get the youth stock for the gun.
    That's what I was going to say.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Most all my shotguns have the stock cut down about 1 1/2 inch, it ain't no problem.

I have one of these on my 870. Rifle Stocks & Recoil Stocks - BLACKHAWK!

If you shop around, you can find them for around $100.00
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member
    I had my trap gun stock shortened.

You could also try the Mossberg 410 hd shotgun. It is really light and shorter than typical game guns or larger hd mb. (seems that way to me anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    That's what I was going to say.
    Ditto.

Get a youth stock which is what LEOs choose as for small stature officers of either gender.
    This issue is very common and normal easily beat with just an adjustment to LOP by way of a youth stock or an adjustable type stock such as by Knoxx.

I personally would go Youth stock and spend the other $100 Knoxx would charge in addition as toward ammo to train with.
    IMHO youth stocks are great for everyone as related to a HD specific shotgun even if you don't need it.
    Why? Because it helps to reduce OAL of the firearm to which an inch to inch and a quarter can be the difference between being able to rotate 360 degrees in a hallway or not.

Unlike with field guns you don't need a lot of stock nor barrel length as for HD.
    It's just down the hallway and across the kitchen ranges.
    Shoulder, point (the barrel/barrels) and shoot. Heck not even shouldering is absolutely necessary as long as you can point and index the barrel(s) at the target.

Here is a Mossberg 590A1 SBS (Short Barrel Shotgun) as with a Choate youth stock.

Source - Tactical Shotgun Pics - Page 17

Practical...Functional...Optimal.
    IMHO

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Youth stock. M4 stock conversion. If you have a wood stock, just cut it off and regrind the pad to fit.

My wife is only 5'1" so we got a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam. I like that it is easy to square up with it. It has an adjustable stock length and will accept a full size stock should you ever want one.

We also really liked the Stoegers.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well it sounds like the Youth stock is the way to go. I really do like the Stoeger double barrels because of the shear simplicity and they fit me well but i like the greater capacity before having to reload. Still...

Anyway, thanks for the inputs. I'm going to either go the 870 w/a youth stock in the rear or a plain jane Stoeger with a sock on the stock for extra rounds or a bandolier of some kind and I'll practice quick reloads.

One of the advantages of the 870 is it would be easy to hang a light I have on it. On the double barrel that's not practical. I've seen Stoegers defensive gun and like the idea of a rail on the bottom but not on the top!

Thanks all
    Gideon

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

On a pump, I feel like my arm is stretched WAY out there to reach out front and get a hold of the forearm. I can work with it but it's a tade bit awkard.

I'll continue to use a hangun for home SD but still think I ough to have at least one SD shottie in the house.

So any thoughts or ideas?

The list is down to 3 remaining guns and this is one of them

Thanks
    Gideon
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm 5'7" also. I bought a Mossberg pump and although I can reach the forearm, it is a stretch. A week later I ran across the Browning BPS 'Hi-Cap' pump 12 ga. w/ 20" Cyl (7+1 rds.). It followed me home. There's a world of difference (about 4" less reach). See if you can find one and take a look at it. Here'sa pic of one.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

The Mossberg 500 is versatile. It comes with a pistol grip stock as well. You can also buy the 6 position adjustable tactical stock with pistol grip. 6 position adjustable stock, you can custom fit the gun to your needs. This will be my next purchase.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    SpeedFeed's #0365 Youth stock has a 13" length of pull (LOP). The #0833 SWAT variant has multiple plates that can be removed or installed, allowing down to a 12" LOP.

The Hogue "Short Shot" (or Youth) model of stocks have a 12" LOP.

Or, you can opt for a wood stock and simply have it shortened and a new recoil pat fitted.

IIRC, Benelli has a special butt system in their shotguns that allows for a fair degree of change to the LOP, as does Winchester. This is accomplished via a set of replaceable plates.

I like LOP to be shorter than "standard" 14in-plus, as well. 12.25" to 12.5" or so seems to be about right, for me. So, I'm in the same game as you, looking for after-market stocks to be fit.

I've got a Remington 870 Police 12ga, with shortened SpeedFeed synthetic stocks, as well as an Ithaca 37 12ga shotgun with the SpeedFeed Youth stocks. They work very well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links