Decided on the SOCOM16

Decided on the SOCOM16

This is a discussion on Decided on the SOCOM16 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have one and I put an Aimpoint on it 3 years ago. With all the body armor on thugs in my area I'm going ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Decided on the SOCOM16

I have one and I put an Aimpoint on it 3 years ago. With all the body armor on thugs in my area I'm going to get this gun ready. I like the basic SOCOM16 as it is still lite. I'm going to replace the Aimpoint with a MeOpta K-Dot by getting a Sadlak mount like I have on my N M. I'm keeping h stock the same as I can give a nice Vertical buttstroke with it.
    I'll have a ready mag of AP with an API as the last round.
    Last edited by JD; February 18th, 2010 at 11:50 AM.

Senior Moderator
    You might oughta add a bayonet to that, just in case.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Two places body armor doesn't protect head and around the groin area.

Have always like that rifle. Very good choice
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Most body armor doesn't protect from a .308 round anyhow.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Most body armor doesn't protect from a .308 round anyhow.
    soft body armor won't. If you can score plates and the body armor accepts them you might be OK. Although last I heard they weren't legal for the average Joe to own. I would be rethinking my strategy if I'm being shot with a .308 though...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yeah, but a couple of follow up shots in the same area should make the plate worthless... just saying...

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion12 View Post
    Yeah, but a couple of follow up shots in the same area should make the plate worthless... just saying...
    well... if I'm being shot at I'm not going to stick around to be shot in the same spot over and over
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Can the average person even obtain armor piercing ammunition?

I know a lot of common rifle rounds can still penetrate light body armor so AP ammo won't be necessary.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Whether you carry a rifle or a pistol, you should be prepared for the possibility that neutralizing the threat may involve multiple shots. Anybody defending his life is a fool if he fires one shot and expects it to have Hollywood results.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Ammunition To Go.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    soft body armor won't. If you can score plates and the body armor accepts them you might be OK. Although last I heard they weren't legal for the average Joe to own. I would be rethinking my strategy if I'm being shot with a .308 though...
    The problem with plates is that the round has to go somewhere even if you defeat it. The FBI has lost a couple of guys to hits in the chest deflecting up through the bottom of the chin and into the head.

There is no good way to stop a rifle round unless you're in a tank. They can be stopped of course but it's still a crap shoot.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

As a demo at the academy, I witnessed a .308 go right through a trauma plate in a vest like it was a paper target!

It first stopped a 9mm round, then it was slightly cracked by .45acp. Next was the .308 as stated above. Of course this was 15yrs ago and the vest wasn't exactly a new model, I'm sure.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

"API as the last round"...as in Armor-Piercing Incendiary? You planning on setting the BG on fire? Or your own house on fire after that AP bullet blasts through him, and the wall behind? Maybe the neighbor's house?

Geez man...a regular ol' .308 will go through body armor just fine. You'll probably get better lethality with a JHP or JSP as well - AP will just zip right through soft tissue. Unless you think you need to stop armored cars or something...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I'm wondering if this is even a serious post...

Basically ANY centerfire rifle round will pass through soft body armor as if it wasn't there. There's absolutely no need for AP (or API, for cryin' out loud) in any SD scenario that I've ever seen, heard of, read about, or even imagined... I've spent 30+ months in combat, and I've never faced an adversary wearing plates...

I suppose it's possible, but the risk (or, more correctly, absolute certainty) of catastrophic over penetration is of much more concern to me than a gang of IBA wearing bad guys assaulting my house...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links