Looking for an AR

This is a discussion on Looking for an AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been thinking about what my next purchase will be from my 'want list'. While I have many things on that list, it seems like I ...

Thread: Looking for an AR

Looking for an AR

Been thinking about what my next purchase will be from my 'want list'. While I have many things on that list, it seems like I never have enough cash to get it all. Anyway, one of the things I have been considering is a AR. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should go with? What about Stag arms are they any good? I have been looking at thier Model 8, does anyone have any direct experience with this rifle or with stag products?

2. Remove Ads

Not to pimp another site on here but AR15.Com is an excellent source of information for ar15's. From what I've heard, Stag Arms is a pretty good manufacturer.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Stag makes good black rifles and I think they're the only one or at least one of the few AR manufacturers who make a left handed AR with the ejection port and all the controls on the left side of the gun. I know you'll get suggestions for Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense and a few others but if you are on a budget like I was the Smith & Wesson M&P15 offers alot for the money and they are often on sale in different places. Its no Colt or one of the more higher end ARs but I have been really pleased with mine and everyone I talked to who owns one has said the same.

Stag did actually make the earlier M&P15 rifles but after a short length of time S&W started making them in house.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    Stag makes good black rifles and I think they're the only one or at least one of the few AR manufacturers who make a left handed AR with the ejection port and all the controls on the left side of the gun. I know you'll get suggestions for Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense and a few others but if you are on a budget like I was the Smith & Wesson M&P15 offers alot for the money and they are often on sale in different places. Its no Colt or one of the more higher end ARs but I have been really pleased with mine and everyone I talked to who owns one has said the same.

Stag did actually make the earlier M&P15 rifles but after a short length of time S&W started making them in house.
    yes, I am on a budget. I was interested in one of the Piston system AR's that's why I am considering a Stag + they are only around $1000 bucks. How much do the Smiths go for? I want an AR, but I don't want to pay 2 or 3 grand for one.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    They can go anywhere from 1,000 to about 1,200 which isn't too bad and with their M&P15 Tactical you get a free floating rail system and flip up front and rear sights. Sometimes you can find the OR or Optics Ready model for around 800 dollars. I went with the standard model equipped with carrying handle and just changed out the cosmetic parts myself.

If you are looking for a piston system the Ruger SR 556 is nice but will run you between 1,300 and 1,500 dollars. They do however come with three Magpul PMags which most ARs do not come with and you still get a free float rail system and flip up iron sights. S&W did also come out with a piston driven AR but I do not think its been put on store shelves yet.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by tdd78 View Post
    Been thinking about what my next purchase will be from my 'want list'. While I have many things on that list, it seems like I never have enough cash to get it all. Anyway, one of the things I have been considering is a AR. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should go with? What about Stag arms are they any good? I have been looking at thier Model 8, does anyone have any direct experience with this rifle or with stag products?
    Good introductory advice here:

So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

In general, you do get what you pay for. DPMS and Olympic Arms are at the low end of the "hobby gun" range and that's reflected by their prices. Bushmaster is a step better and Rock River better still. If you didn't want to do all the heavy research, I'd say look for a flat-top Colt (6920 or 6940) or a S+W LE carbine.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It all boils down to how much you want to spend.

You can build your own, top-notch AR for less than a grand (minus any optics, if desired). BCM and DD uppers were recently going for $600 or less complete with BCG; one can easily buld their own lower for $300, max (unless you want something like a Magpul UBR stock...then, it gets pricy).

Example--I recently built my own AR, and minus the ACOG, did it for well under 1k, using good components. It includes parts from Magpul (CTR stock and MIAD grip), JP Enterprises (VTAC free-float tube), a SLR lower+RRA LPK, YHM chrome-lined fluted barrel, and BCM M16 BCG and Gunfighter charging handle...total price (again, before optics) was just under $900. And the best part--it's the exact rifle I want, to fit my needs.

To be dead honest--if you can build a model airplane, or change the oil on your vehicle--you an build an AR lower. The upper requires a few specialized tools, but is not much harder.

That would be my honest advice...find a good upper receiver group, and build your own lower...that way, you have a rifle that fits your needs, not somebody else's.

Of course, this would be a DGI rifle; if you want to get into the piston-driven world, it's a whole 'nuther ball game...personally, if I decided to go that route (and am toying with it), I'd pay the cash for a LWRC or POF upper, build my own lower, and be happy that I've got a heck of a rifle.

Aint this fun?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

ar's are getting like 1911's. there are many brands out there. hard to pick which brand is the best. everybody has their own brand that they like and swear by. for me i am a colt person. but i have had my colts for many mango season. got them when ar's were not cool. pickup a rock river arms, it is also a good gun. prices have gone sky high. you could build one, but the prices on parts have gone sky high too. go to some of the ar forums to see more infromation than you can read. just make sure you get one in 5.56 not 223. some brands are 223 only. you can shoot 223 in a 5.56. but you should not shoot 5.56 in a 223 gun. you can do a search on this, has something to do with the different size of the neck/shoulder of the case.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

BAC
    Hm.

BCM 16-inch midlength upper receiver group auto BCG and charging handle ($570)
    Magpul MBUS front & rear sights ($95)
    RRA standard midlength handguards ($20)
    Stripped lower receiver ($80)
    Stag/CMT or RRA lower parts kit ($70)
    Magpul MIAD grip, full kit ($40)
    Magpul MOE complete stock kit ($110 from Spikes’)
    Magazines from Bravo Co ($9), Lancer ($12), or Magpul ($14)

There ya go. A complete, high-quality AR with a more comfortable grip and stock and a good mag for $1000. Good luck finding a Stag that'll compete.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Hm.

BCM 16-inch midlength upper receiver group auto BCG and charging handle ($570)
    Magpul MBUS front & rear sights ($95)
    RRA standard midlength handguards ($20)
    Stripped lower receiver ($80)
    Stag/CMT or RRA lower parts kit ($70)
    Magpul MIAD grip, full kit ($40)
    Magpul MOE complete stock kit ($110 from Spikesí)
    Magazines from Bravo Co ($9), Lancer ($12), or Magpul ($14)

There ya go. A complete, high-quality AR with a more comfortable grip and stock and a good mag for $1000. Good luck finding a Stag that'll compete.

-B

<3

Thanks for doing that so I don't have to. ;)

BAC
    I've got three or four "budget builds" in a Word doc just so it looks like I come up with this stuff on the spot.

A lotta folks would cry knowing what I'll be paying for my po-boy (first) SBR...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Links