Cutting Shotgun Stocks and installing Recoil Pads

This is a discussion on Cutting Shotgun Stocks and installing Recoil Pads within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question folks, how hard is this to do? I'm looking to fit a HD shottie niche. I like the Rem 870 but it's a bit ...

Thread: Cutting Shotgun Stocks and installing Recoil Pads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Cutting Shotgun Stocks and installing Recoil Pads

Question folks, how hard is this to do? I'm looking to fit a HD shottie niche. I like the Rem 870 but it's a bit of a reach for the front hand. I can put a youth stock on the back but I'm also considering the Stoeger coach gun because it's so manuverable for me.

Problem is it comes with a plain butt plate. I'm wondering how hard it is to cut down a wooden stock and install a recol pad like the "Limbsaver"?

I could shorten the LOP a bit and help the recoil at the same time.

Just a thought. So have any of you done it? Could you tell me how? I'm struggling thinking how I'd make a clean flat cut so the new pad would fit well.

Thanks everyone
    Gideon

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I would cut it on a band saw. Mark your cut with a grease pencil and get to work. Sand and refinish when you are done.

I have done a couple, but all of mine are working tools..... I can not even remember how I cut the last one, all I remember is a lot of sanding, finishing. It is not very expensive to have someone good cut the stock and install a great recoil pad.

I've done several with a band saw and a belt sander. You will have to redrill the screw holes for the mounting screws. Grind the pad down to fit the wood. Tape up the stock good to keep from maring it. Limbsaver also makes a slip on pad, but it doesn't look as good as a fit pad.

Knoxx Stock

video review and explanation

Some Love it, some don't.

I think they are great.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Administrator

When I cut down my 870 I taped the stock marked off 3/8 with a fine #2 pencil and cut it with a fine hack saw blade.
    Finished with fine sand paper and touched up with old english dark oil finish B4 putting the pad back on.
    Not too shabby!
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

Some good inputs guys....

I actually found a shot an hour or so away that works only on shotguns. He can cut and fit a recoil pad on either wood or synthetic.

So I'm picking up some guns tomorrow at the main shop I go to so I'm going to handle as many shotguns as I can to get a feel for what I want.

Basically it has to just "feel" right when I mount it, swing it, and rack the slide. For a guy of my stature I've always had to look for the gun that fit's just right. I have a winchester semi 12 I use for hunting. I'm good with it and it's big for me but I knock down what I shoot at but for more plinking, hiking, and as a back up HD gun I want something short, something 12ga for ammo availability and variety and something I can simply enjoy.

That's probably why the Stoeger coach gun is so appealing! He can also cut barrels so we'll see. If I had a good band saw or even a good sander to ensure a totally smooth cut I might try it...

thanks again for the inputs!!
    Gideon

I use my power miter saw, I remove the stock, mount it on a piece of scrap lumber, wedging it up so it is perfectly level to the miter saw table. All that is needed is a couple of wraps of blue masking tape to hold it firm. Measure with the finished length of the recoil pad in mind, BEFORE cutting. Measure it TWICE to be sure. Mark where you want to cut and line it up, so it will be square to your blade. Cut the stock, then mount the pad. You will need to sand or grind down the pad to fit the stock. Do it carefully, being mindful of taper of the stock on the sides and butt end. I use a dremel and grinding/sanding wheel. I finish with fine grit sandpaper on a handheld power sander. BEFORE SANDING , wrap several layers of the masking tape on the edge of the stock that butts up to the pad, to avoid scratching up the stock. I've done several Stoegers, takes me about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to do the job. Just take your time to avoid making mistakes in the fit and finish. My wife said I did a better job than the one pad she paid a gunsmith $65 to install. Now I install all my on pads and I've done at least a dozen over the past several years. We have a LOT of shotguns.

Well, I won't have to worry about it anymore, finally made the call and went with the Remington 870. A fellow board member is helping me out by selling me their old style foreend that his longer and I think the total combination is going to be a winner.

I still think the coach gun is a beautiful weapon and would have loved to have ended up with one of those!! But I have to admit it would have been mainly for the looks because I do like the higher capacity of the pump!

God Bless
    Gideon

Links