What do you all think of carbines that fire pistol ammo?

This is a discussion on What do you all think of carbines that fire pistol ammo? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got my Tax refund, and I’m thinking of buying a semi auto carbine. My budget is $450. I would also like it to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you all think of carbines that fire pistol ammo?

What do you all think of carbines that fire pistol ammo?

I just got my Tax refund, and I’m thinking of buying a semi auto carbine. My budget is $450. I would also like it to have a detachable mag (SKS isn’t totally left out of the picture).

I’m thinking Kel Tec sub 2000 9mm right now. I think it would be very handy to have a rifle that used the same mags as my handgun.
    I am very apprehensive about using a pistol round in a carbine. It has limited range, power, accuracy. I know in an urban environment I’m not going to do a lot of shooting over 100y (I have other rifles that specialize in that ). But a 9mm at even 50y doesn’t instill a lot of confidence with me. At least, as far as a rifle is concerned.

Maybe a Kel Tek 2000 .40 with a ton of mags might be better?
    Or should I hunt down a .223 for $450? I’m no fan of the .223 but it beats 9mm!

In all honesty the Sub 2000 seems like it screams FUN!!!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    if you want it for fun go for it , but keep in mind if you want it for " social work " that you will need to apply subgun tactics and go for rapid multiple hits which will run pistol mags dry in amazing time . For me i would try and hunt down a poodle shooter ( .223 ) of some sort as they are fun too and get there with a bit more authority just my thoughts YMMV
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

all depends what ya want it for the beretta storm is a lot of fun in 9mm and amgs easy to find ... tommygun is fun also in 45 and it depends on how you plan to shoot.

I have the 2 pistol carbines and 3 or 4 battle type rifles everything is shot mostly for fun of course the 223 and 308 and even the sks are heavy

Assistant Administrator
    The KelTec is one I have thought of getting - lotta fun and of course - it folds in half!! probably a good option on a tighter budget.

I also like the CX-4 Storm but - big downside is cost - they are IMO over-priced. That said I do enjoy mine, except for the darned trigger! Seems maybe the best Storm choice might be in .40 - bit more oomph.

I also have Camp-9 and Camp-45 - not very pretty carbines but quite effective shooters - both IIRC are no longer made, certainly the .45 was dropped.

Ruger's PC9 is it - another option to consider. Then yeah - .223 - which leaves the pistol ammo category but does give some very superior potential. For sheer fun and value, probably the KT, several mags and loadsa ammo is a good possible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

I've kicked myself for years because I didn't buy an IMI Timberwolf carbine in .357 Magnum when they were available on the market...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles - except when the rifle shoots a pistol cartridge.

If I am carrying a rifle - I want it to shoot a rifle cartridge.

My grandfather carried a Thompson in WWII for a time due to the weight of the M1. It didn't take many encounters for him to ditch the subgun.

VIP Member
    I don't recall how much it costs, but they make a carbine attachment that fits on a 1911 frame. You pull the slide off and put the carbine upper on. I think they call it the "Linda". My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but it would give you a little more kick if that's what you are looking for and you have a 1911 frame lying around not doing anything.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have a Ruger PC9 carbine that is in 9mm, which inspires a lot of confidence. I love shooting it, and I can hit very well with it. I have centerfire rifles and shotguns, but if something were breaking out in or immediately around my house the PC9 is what I am going to grab.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

hmmm if i got a carbine, i would want to have one with a larger ammo capacity than the ones available. Have shot the storm and the kel-tec(which is a great survival gun) and the mags seemed to dry up rather quick. Unfortunatly the big boys are alot more expensive than 450. Have seen ak's for 400. Sks are fun to but they are both kinda big.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

i have a sub 2000 beretta version, along with a hi point.

i put a stock extension on the sub(available from kel tec) and it's great.

i have about 4000 rounds thru the sub with no failures.

it's scary accurate out to 60-70 yards.

got some mec gar 20 rounders for it, along with some pro mag 30 rounders.

this gun even works with the pro mags.

the high point has been reliable/accurate too, but the 10 round mags are a drag. got a 15 rounder too, but it doesn't compare to the sub.

i recommend the sub, because mine's been a blast.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    I don't recall how much it costs, but they make a carbine attachment that fits on a 1911 frame. You pull the slide off and put the carbine upper on. I think they call it the "Linda". My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but it would give you a little more kick if that's what you are looking for and you have a 1911 frame lying around not doing anything.
    not really a accute or useful accesory IMO. also , placing a stock on a pistol will create a potential for a ATF violation. I opted for a AR in 5.56mm for a carbine , after seeing the limited range of my friends 9mm AR. A pistol carbine might be great in some situations, but a rifle caliber carbine will always be superior to extend effective range.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    agree with rock pistols for close if you need a carbine you need a carbine not just a fancy pistola imho

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    not really a accute or useful accesory IMO. also , placing a stock on a pistol will create a potential for a ATF violation. I opted for a AR in 5.56mm for a carbine , after seeing the limited range of my friends 9mm AR. A pistol carbine might be great in some situations, but a rifle caliber carbine will always be superior to extend effective range.
    I think an ATF violation might occur the other way around, but not making a pistol into a rifle. But, the way things are written, you never know. I'd bet they can't even understand half the stuff they are supposed to be enforcing the way it's written.

I agree with the superiority of a rifle cal. carbine in most situations. Just depends on what it's needed for.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Unless you use sub-gun ammo (Hirtenberger L7A1, ie.), you actually lose power/velocity with the longer barrel, as HG loads are optimized for the 4-6" tube. It does depend on the ammo/barrel length, but then you have a one-load platform- not all that versatile. Fun, a reasonable compromise in fairly restricted circumstance, but you can get better performance with a rifle caliber. Just my $.02......

I've got the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in the 40 with Glock grips. I have tons of high cap M22 mags and a few of the aftermarket Scherer 29rd ultra high cap mags. These of course will also fit my M27 but they stick out about a foot! Still, this combo is my emergency trip package. Anytime we travel for summer vacation, I'll be taking the Glock M27 and this neat little folding carbine. Very sweet. The little Glock is very accurate, has night sights, and conceals (even in hot summer weather) nicely in a variety of rigs. The carbine is backup for my wife in case of trouble. It also has a bit more of an extended "reach." I love it. Although, lacking the Kel-Tec, I'd feel really good about taking along my Winchester M94 Trapper in .30-30 AND another handgun; if not the Glock then one of my Sigs or my big H&K USP 45.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links