DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress) - Page 2

DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress)

This is a discussion on DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wow excellent and very beneficial...I will be the first to suggest the mods make it a sticky......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress)

Wow excellent and very beneficial...I will be the first to suggest the mods make it a sticky...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Wow excellent and very beneficial...I will be the first to suggest the mods make it a sticky...
    You have a second to the motion.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The area where slings really shine is providing a much more stable shooting platform than just plain offhand.

This is a good basic write up of the differences between carrying straps and actual slings.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

While I agree that slings can provide a more stable shooting platform, I question whether or not this is necessary in a home defense tool. How quickly can you put on a sling? Do you have things in your room/house/etc. that it might catch on? Could it be leveraged by the bad guy to choke, tie up, or otherwise disable you? As I said, I'm not taking sides one way or another, I simply don't know enough to know if a sling is viable for a home defense rifle.

Thank you for the sentiments guys. I'm plowing through the Ammunition section now; it's a subject unto itself, so keeping it organized and concise is challenging. Expect V 1.0 of the Ammo section sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

And I think I'm going to need a mod to help me edit in stuff...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    While I agree that slings can provide a more stable shooting platform, I question whether or not this is necessary in a home defense tool. How quickly can you put on a sling? Do you have things in your room/house/etc. that it might catch on? Could it be leveraged by the bad guy to choke, tie up, or otherwise disable you? As I said, I'm not taking sides one way or another, I simply don't know enough to know if a sling is viable for a home defense rifle.

Thank you for the sentiments guys. I'm plowing through the Ammunition section now; it's a subject unto itself, so keeping it organized and concise is challenging. Expect V 1.0 of the Ammo section sometime tomorrow or Thursday.

And I think I'm going to need a mod to help me edit in stuff...

-B
    A sling is more for stabilizing for distance shooting so unless your living room is three hundred yards for your bedroom your right.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    For many that are a bit farther out in the country their home defense rifle is used for protecting against 4 legged adversaries as much as 2 legged. (coyote, rabid dogs, whatnot) I will grant you that while that is my default mental image it probably isn't exactly close to most peoples dealings.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

You are the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    For many that are a bit farther out in the country their home defense rifle is used for protecting against 4 legged adversaries as much as 2 legged. (coyote, rabid dogs, whatnot) I will grant you that while that is my default mental image it probably isn't exactly close to most peoples dealings.
    I get what your saying, I am one of those people and I agree with you. I was overlooking the ''outdoor'' adversaries.

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    An informed buyer is a wise buyer and info is always good.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks for the hard work, BAC. I finally broke down and bought an AR-15 a few weeks ago and am busily learning everything I can about the platform. My girlfriend is even complaining that I spend more time touching my rifle than I do her
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Ammunition section is finished and should be up tomorrow. 8 page labor of love.

-B

Will the ammo section cover caliber choices?

Caliber is what eventually led me to my final decision on the M4 manufacturer I choose.

Either way you have gone above and beyond with your work on this!! Gotta be a sticky!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Unfortunately, it will not. It's fairly extensive as it is. Mae culpa.

Here is a quick overview of what it includes:

• Intro
    • How Bullets Work
      • In Transit
      • Upon Arrival
      • Myths (hydrostatic shock & knockdown power)
    • The Human Target (what we need bullets to do)
      • Psychology
    • The 5.56x45
      • History: basic developmental history of 5.56
      • Wound characteristics
    • The List
      • Conclude with Doc’s disclaimer concerning training and mindset.

I wanted to go over multiple calibers, but no other AR-15 caliber has the wealth of information available as does the .223/5.56mm. Also, none of the other calibers have the number of choices in factory AR-15s that the .223/5.56mm does, nor do they often adhere to the same quality standards as those in .223/5.56mm at similar price points. I hope describing the "hows" and "whys" of bullet function will make up for my not including multiple calibers.

I'm going to do one more grammar check before emailing to a mod to edit into the post. Turns out my late night spelling isn't as great as I thought.

-B

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    BAC, great job so far.

As for the ammo stuff, if you didn't use the Ammo Oracle as one of your sourced (and maybe even if you did), I would suggest including a link to it:

* :: Ammo Oracle

There's a lot of detail there about ballistic performance, terminal performance, twist rates, bullet weights, and so on.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Slinging the AR for home defense

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post

-B
    My two cents' worth suggests that a sling on an AR which is kept just for home defense (and I mean home as "house", not the ranch or compound) is unnecessary and might actually get in the way. If I reach for the AR in the middle of the night I'm not wasting any time installing myself into a sling.

That said, my ARs are equipped with slings because a) they are not my primary HD weapons, and b) for most situations in which I would need/want and AR, the sling is a necessity. The training I've done with ARs has been all under 50 yards and focused on combat engagements, not precision shooting, and the sling was not employed for stabilizing the weapon. Without the sling, transitioning to the sidearm means you throw your carbine down instead of just letting it hang.

At the range, I have used the sling to stabilize those longer shots, but without a free-floated handguard it's not as effective as a sling is on something like an M1A.

I think if you anticipate having to carry your AR more than just room to room for a few minutes, i.e., if you need to patrol your property on foot, a sling is absolutely mandatory. And skip the parade (GI issue) sling, get a decent 2-point tactical one like a Viking.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links