DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress) - Page 4

DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress)

This is a discussion on DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So... Yeah. Couple years later I remember my password. It's finally finished. But, as old as the topic is, I can't edit it. For anyone ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress)

So... Yeah. Couple years later I remember my password.

It's finally finished. But, as old as the topic is, I can't edit it. For anyone even remotely interested, I just sent off a PM to OD* letting him know that it's done if Bumper's still interested.

Unfortunately, it's mostly some editing and grammar fixing. As I told OD, it occurred to me too late that doing a cost-benefit and example build section in modern times is pretty well pointless; prices and availability change entirely too fast for it to be useful as reference material. The Chart discusses itself such that my commentary would be equally pointless. At any rate, the material I have up is still pretty darned accurate; I cleaned up some of the links and made sure broken ones were fixed. I guess that's the advantage of making a general guide versus a "buy this" guide. I have asked if it's possible to add an additional "Reference Material" page that the mods and/or I could edit to stay current (showing good vendors, good manufacturers, resource material and studies concerning the AR-15 and its variants, etc.).

Anyway, good to be back. It looks like this guide's picked up a few views while I've been gone, so I hope it's helped the DC community.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide (In Progress)

Man this is good stuff! Well done
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Very cool... only commenting because I look forward to rest of review. Thanks !!
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Where have you been?

Maybe we could get this thread edited. The current info you wanted, but also put all of your posts pertaining to this first, so there are no comments between.

Then, this needs to be a sticky.

Do you have this info income PDF file you can link directly? This will help tremendously as I find myself quite regularly answering these questions over and over.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Maybe copy and paste a new post making it how you want it to read. Post the new one, I'll close this one and sticky the new.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Don't forget to cover twist rate vs barrel length vs bullet weight, trajectory, and distance of shot.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Heh, that's actually a very good point Glass. Thanks for the reminder. I'll start on that tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to take SIXTO's suggestion and by Monday morning a new topic should be up.

And sorry for being away so long Jon. Which PDFs did you need?

Lot of work went into that good job.
    You did seem to leave out Gas piston versions. I carried an M16a1-M4 of 27 years . Having purchased a couple quality Gas piston AR15's I will not go back to a DI.

gas piston vs gas impingement is a good topic, as is barrel length and reliability vs those two extraction methods. James Yeager actually just touched on the topic in a recent video. good info. very handy when building an AR and choosing barrel length and upper type.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    gas piston vs gas impingement is a good topic, as is barrel length and reliability vs those two extraction methods. James Yeager actually just touched on the topic in a recent video. good info. very handy when building an AR and choosing barrel length and upper type.
    I won to many AR's I have mostly DI and they have served me well and having carried one in the real world I know a bit about how they act clean and dirty and what it takes to keep one up.
    I purchased my first Gas piston for two reason it was a quality weapon priced right. After putting 300 rounds through it I was shocked it needed no lube added and when we broke it down it was amazing how clean it was. It was so clean that all it really needed was a wipe down to put it away. It was not long I picked up another.
    When things settle down I will pick up a couple more before they ban them all.
    I am not bad mouthing DI. Just I spent a lot of time cleaning them sure wish I had a gas piston then.

hey I agree. I love piston ARs. They don't blow back all the garbage into the breech of the gun so yeah, a lot cleaner, and tend to work a lot better on SBRs as well. I've had a DPMS kitty kat with a 7" barrel that was a gas tube gun.. rather have pistons. I'm hoping to buy or build a couple when prices and availability settle down. have two lowers on pre-order, and about 20 mags on back-order. now I just need the upper kits, and trigger/lower build kits and optics.

On short stroke pistons, I'll have to disappoint you guys. The intention is to make a buyer's guide that explains enough about the system to be understood and to dispel myths but without going into such details that scholars can debate over. Some parts necessitate more detail (like the ammunition and barrel sections*), but they are still crucial to understanding the behavior of the AR-15 in general. Adding piston uppers to the discussion creates an unnecessary hang-up point; for the vast majority of users, there are no advantages to short-stroke piston uppers versus conventional direct impingement uppers. It is also a lot harder to discuss the piston systems in an honest apples-to-apples way because of how many different systems exist - H&K, LWRC, Adams Arms, Osprey Defense, Sig Sauer, DPMS, Remington... The list goes on and everyone makes theirs a little different than the rest. With a conventional direct impingement system, we know what it's supposed to look like and therefore what corner-cutting looks like.

*I'm giving the barrel its own section to cover things like material, twist, length, etc. I originally tried to keep it short enough to include with the other core components but it's simply too complex a subject to limit like that. This will mean rewriting it, but it should be a lot clearer in the end.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

bmcgilvray and atctimmy like this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Nice job Brian, I've made it a sticky.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator
    Very nice BAC, and good looking out OD*
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links