Keeping it too simple?

This is a discussion on Keeping it too simple? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Picked up a remington 870 express, 18" barrel 4+1. Nothing fancy. Is that keeping it too simple? I was debating an extension (heard they can ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping it too simple?

Keeping it too simple?

Picked up a remington 870 express, 18" barrel 4+1. Nothing fancy. Is that keeping it too simple? I was debating an extension (heard they can fail, especially when needed), a light (I'd rather rely on my night vision/non blinding light), and/or a side saddle (is it needed?). Am I keeping it too simple to the point of stupidity, or is the current rig reasonable?

2. Remove Ads

perfectly reasonable. If you really feel the need for a few extra rounds there are fairly cheap buttstock rigs with loops for more rounds. Find some low recoil buck shot and you are in business!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I think the current rig should be just fine. Do whatever you feel comfortable with if you want to start modifying it, but it's no slouch as is IMO.

Load it with buckshot and it will not be simple on the receiving end.

It will be very deadly indeed.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

K.I.S.S., add some 00-Buck, and 'presto'...HD!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds good to me. My first line home defense is a 12 gauge coach gun with my extra rounds placed strategically around the house in sets of two. Nothing fancy here, but I wouldn't want to be on the business end.
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I say keep it simple...5 rounds with a simple way to reload will do just fine...
    If you have others in the house or live in a setting where you are worried about lead leaving the room, ie from drywall etc...load it up with #4 or #6 high brass. they will be plenty powerful in the house, and will not travel through walls where other loved ones or innocents may be.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

You are talking #4 or #6 birdshot correct? I would agree those are excellent from a reduced penetration perspective if that is a concern. I also hear good things about #4 buck as a defensive round rather than 00 buck due to the slightly larger pattern and more shot overall, albeit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    I say keep it simple...5 rounds with a simple way to reload will do just fine...
    If you have others in the house or live in a setting where you are worried about lead leaving the room, ie from drywall etc...load it up with #4 or #6 high brass. they will be plenty powerful in the house, and will not travel through walls where other loved ones or innocents may be.

If you empty 5 rounds of 00 buck, and you need more,you really gotta move outta that neighborhood,I keep 3 more 00 and 2 slugs in the buttstock sleeve,I have a AR15 with 30 round mag slung over the inside closet door,and my 1911 W/25 rounds available,I have no kids at home
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    K.I.S.S., add some 00-Buck, and 'presto'...HD!
    Words to live by.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Extra ammo wouldnt hurt. You dont have to have tactical extensions and all that stuff for it to work. There was a time when that stuff wasnt made...and the guns still did the job. Do it if you want but you have a fine setup.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member
    Who could argue with a simple light (they are rather spendy though), and a way to keep some extra ammo on the stock?

It's fun to go and see the shot patterns with different types of ammunition, then make your decision on that.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I keep an 18" 870 for HD. It has the mag extension.

I've used it for clays, buckshot, and long-range slug shots. In all, I've probably shot 1500-2000 rounds.

I have never encountered any problem whatsoever with the magazine, feeding, follower sticking, or whatever. It is 100%...every single round functioned properly.

I say, get the extension. More rounds can't hurt
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I am talking about birdshot....very devastating with minimal penetration of walls. very important depending on your living situation.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    Picked up a remington 870 express, 18" barrel 4+1. Nothing fancy. Is that keeping it too simple? I was debating an extension (heard they can fail, especially when needed), a light (I'd rather rely on my night vision/non blinding light), and/or a side saddle (is it needed?). Am I keeping it too simple to the point of stupidity, or is the current rig reasonable?
    When the poop hits the fan simpler is often better. I think you will be just fine.

My HD shotgun:

001.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    I am talking about birdshot....very devastating with minimal penetration of walls. very important depending on your living situation.
    It's call BIRD shot for a reason. If it was for people it would be called people shot. Buck shot is for deer sized animals in the 100 to 250lb range like...hmmm...people.
    Last edited by atctimmy; February 23rd, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links