AK or SKS - Page 2

AK or SKS

This is a discussion on AK or SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; was lookin at a norinco mak-90 today. Brand new, i even like the stock for 400. Very tempting. Don't know much about ak's. Do they ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AK or SKS

was lookin at a norinco mak-90 today. Brand new, i even like the stock for 400. Very tempting. Don't know much about ak's. Do they all take the same mags? Am having a hard time finding availible ammo. I though this stuff was cheap and everywhere.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

My suggestion would be to get the SKS. You can pick a nice one up for a little over $100. It will be more accurate than the AK and will make a great entry level battle rifle. I also wouldn't bother getting all of the add-on's - just shoot it as it is.

Then when you get enough money - get a true battle rifle. An M1A or AR-10 would be just fine. FAL's seem popular to this bunch - but take your pick.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Get the AK, you will never know when your government will ban it and that way you are grandfathered, then a little later pick up the SKS. AK and type are banned up here, but SKS are cheap and easy to find, the Norinco ones are decent except for the wood and a Series of them had problems with the barrel pin not being right (light strikes on the firing pin is a sign of a loose barrel)

The SKS-D is supposed to be a bit of a pain to change mags, there is also the Czech V-58XX (something, something) that is sort of considered the Rolls Royce of SKS, a bit more but very nice.

Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I have to agree with most of the posts here, AK is the way. Mine is a Norinco NHM-90, with a thumbhole stock, threaded barrel, bought in 1994, and no problems ever. Well, one problem, never enough ammo for my likes, but that is just me. Lots of magazines out there too, 20, 30, 40, 75 rd. drums, heck, even my daughter has an AK. And they do look COOl too. You can see mine in my photos, with other nice things.

Be careful when shopping for an AK. I've seen lots of junk out there in the last couple years.

VIP Member
    I have both. I have my AK almost looking like a AR with Red Dot and tactical light in front. The only problem with my AK is after 75 yards I can not keep a close grouping. Now with my SKS my grouping is fine even past the 100 yard mark. But to address the issue of home deffence, you should in my oppinion use neither. This is my reasoning. I'm not a hunter but August of last year I went on a wild boar hunt and took my SKS. This was my first hunt ever so I did alot of reading about a wild boar. Everything I read is that they are built like a Shernan Tank. Well my bullet passed all the way through this pig like it was nothing. If it did this to the boar imagine if you had to shoot an intruder. It might pass through him and keep on going passing through the walls of your home and hitting a love one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links