AK or SKS

AK or SKS

This is a discussion on AK or SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hmm have lots of pistols, hunting rifles, shotguns,22s etc... Time for a Zombie Rifle(I learned a new term today thanks team america) I'd love a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK or SKS

AK or SKS

Hmm have lots of pistols, hunting rifles, shotguns,22s etc...
    Time for a Zombie Rifle(I learned a new term today thanks team america)
    I'd love a ar but around wa the best price for a base model anything is around 800-900
    Found a few ak's good condition for 370-400.
    Know a gun guy who can get me a sks for 128.99 in great condition.
    The ak's are good the way they are(either fiber dragonov stock or nice wood)
    I think it may be fun to upgrade a stock sks.(new stock/foreend, higher capacity mag if thats even possible, flash suppressor etc...)

The question is, what would be more reliable and cost effective.
    I'm guessing the sks option is cheaper.
    Just looking for a good home defense gun and a fun one to bring to the range. Which is more accurate?
    Any suggestions and personel experiances would be great.
    Thanks
    -the mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Administrator
    I would go with a decent quality AK.
    That is if looking for a true extraordinary exclusively zombie firearm.
    They are simple, very low maintenance, they work crappy dirty, and are fun as heck. Magazines are cheap.
    Everybody needs one AK...just for the Kool Factor alone.
    Just my opinion on that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Im shoping "zombie rifle" myself. I was window shoping and found a nice SKS for $350, an average SAR-1 Romainian for $425, and the high quality AK-47's for $900+.

Im thinking about the Romainian SAR-1. Eather that or get better sights on my Glock and 1911.

Administrator
    I think there is something pretty doggone neat about the AK pattern zombie slayers.
    Just a few solid hefty parts that keep right on ticking like a TIMEX.

Beat up...banged up ~ bashed up and they just keep on cranking them out there.

Buy One.

Assistant Administrator
    Both LOL!

I have aquired three SKS's and they are great but - in choice for which first - go AK. My SAR1 has served well tho it has quite fierce trigger slap - this I have a piece of 6mm silicon tube over trigger to make it more comfortable - one day I might replace trigger group or work on it.

Mag's have been easy and cheap to find too which is a plus.

My first SKS was a cosmo impregnated black barrel semi junker - but once cleaned up shoots acceptably - that was el cheapo thru AIM or SOG. Second one is a Romanian which is nicer and best of all is the Norinco as per pic below - nice gun and good shooter. Still tho AK comes out tops for favorite between them all.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Go for the gusto and pick up a fal , some of the franken fal's are down arround 5 - 600 still lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    OK Now...the choice was between sks or AK...I didn't see FAL up there as a choice option.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    FAL is allways a good choice , think out of the box LOL , but of the two i would go sks and more ammo assuming i could find the ammo anymore lol cheap 7.62x39 seems to have more or less dried up
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    AK or SKS ?? AK all the way. I have two both stamped rcvr's. (BTW you don't have to pay anyway near $800-$900 for one.)

For a good reliable weapon that will eat any 7.62 X 39 ammo out their,a weapon that I would bet my life on,pick up a stamped rcvr.model for $400 or so.

Grab a TAPCO (or others) catalog and buy a few(?) mags and a sight ajustment tool and any of the several hundred things that you can add on or change.

Most any ammo will do. Factory 122's and 154's both HP and spire point all shoot to the same place at both 50 and 100yds. in my weapons. Most any .308" bullets work as long as their not too long. That's even though the nominal bore dia. is .310". I've handloaded 155's, and 168's to a good degree of accuracy. The 175's might be a little powder sensative though.

Anyway,sorry to ramble. My vote is for the AK. -------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Most any .308" bullets work as long as their not too long. That's even though the nominal bore dia. is .310". I've handloaded 155's, and 168's to a good degree of accuracy. The 175's might be a little powder sensative though. -------
    The reason a "friend of a friend" packed a Lee Loader in his kit, while in Bosnia. Good thing and good ability to have, if you get stuck in the boonies.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    hey rob whats a lee loader if i might ask and i didnt know a 308 would fire in a 7.62 by 39 or are you all just talking about the bullet
    sorry if i sound ignorant but id like to know more lol

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Naaaw,we're just talkin' the bullets. You can load the .308" diameter bullets in the 7.62 X 39 brass. Especially with a Lee roll crimp.

I'm gonna switch to a different powder and go up in weight from the 168's.

A 190 would be "interesting".--------

VIP Member
    I own one of each. They both have worked flawlessly with the variety of ammo I've put through them. Finding cheaper mags is easier with the AK. Mags switch out out easier with the AK as well; SKS's can be a pain.

My personal preference is the SKS. It's cheaper and mine shoots better than my AK. They both have a vast array of various add-ons to enhance your toy's eye appeal later.

There my 1.5 cents worth. (not really worth 2 cents)
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

As I point out to customers at the shop, if you want an AK, don't buy a SKS.

Accept the SKS for what it is - and if you love it, buy it.

Just don't be trying to turn it into an AK.

By the time you're done in expense and hassle alone, you should have just bought what you wanted from the get go.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I have a Norinco MAK-90 and I love it. Even with the thumbhole stock it is a blast to shoot. I took it to the range the other day and a bunch of "gun snobs" with AR's were there. You should have seen their expressions when I pulled my Chinese Lady out of the case! A couple of them jammed, but mine kept on shootin'. POETIC JUSTICE!

I had the SKS model that accepted AK mags about 10 years ago. I enjoyed that rifle but I sold it away. I do plan to buy a traditional SKS soon, either a Norico or one of the Yugoslavian one with the launcher.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links