Sw m&p 15

Sw m&p 15

This is a discussion on Sw m&p 15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the market for my first AR and I want to stay between 1,000 and 1200 bucks. I am looking at either a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sw m&p 15

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar

Sw m&p 15

I am in the market for my first AR and I want to stay between 1,000 and 1200 bucks. I am looking at either a colt or a S&W M&P 15 I have some experience with a SIG rifle but I like the four float set up on the SW but being that its new on the market I was trying to get thoughts on the build quality as a HD weapon and overall quality.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I have heard only good things About the M&P15.... If I had that kind of money that is the AR I would be purchasing... Alot of people I talked to are happy they chose the M&P15
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I am currently looking at the Daniel Defense AR-15's. I have not come across any negative reviews and you can find them in the $1000 to $1300 depending on the model.

Check out the (uncompleted) DC AR-15 buying guide post in this same section. What I will tell you is that if you have $ to get a colt do so over a S&W, the S&W is a wonderful gun, but the colts ARE in fact made using better materials and with better quality control and manufacturing methods.

Another good option is Bravo Company - they stack up well against Colt.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

If there is any other makers anyone knows of throw them out there I'm looking for something that is light enough for me to work the house and still be able to pull range duty.

What do you want to do with it? Is it your HD rifle? Plinker, competition rig (military or race), varmint, deer rifle etc?
    The answer really depends on your use. AR systems are now so varied, and accessories are so common that you need to determine your use. I see that you have set you price ceiling, which is good, you can get quite a lot for that, but remember to save some room for optics if you are looking that way.

Please give us more info to let us help you choose.

Edit. also don't forget mags and ammo
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Its going to be my HD gun and range on the weekend

Anyone ever head of the Maker Double Star?

los
    My M&P15T produced .5 MOA. with TAP ammo.

I miss it.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I am really pleased with my M&P15... excellent choice if you are on a limited budget below 1,500. If you're like me you'll end up dumping much more into it than you anticipated and not even know it until its all been said and done LOL!

S&W was running a promotion where if you buy one of their M&P15 center fire rifles you get a choice of 5 free thirty round Magpul mags or 5 free ten round aluminum mags (for those living in hi cap ban states or those that may just want them). Unfortunately it ended on the last day of 2009 so hopefully they will do that again... it can only drive up their sales of the M&P rifles.

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I'm in the market as well and I've settled on the Colt 6920---roughly $1200, and from everything I've seen, it's got the tightest manufacturing tolerances in its price range

I am quite pleased with my M&P, but the main reason it won me out over other M4 makers is that I did not want to pay the insane prices for .223/5.56 ammo.

S&W makes one of their M&P's in 5.45x39mm. Shoots like a dream! I can not tell a difference from a regular.223/5.56, that is until I buy ammo. My last crate of 2,160 rounds was delivered to my front door for $317.00!! I have almost 6,000 rounds stashed in my basement.

Yes, it's military surplus and it is corrosive primers, but I always clean my weapon after range time, to me it's part of the event.

Just some food for thought if you really like to shoot it alot!!

Good luck!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Check out this thread on this forum for some additional information.

DC AR-15 Buyer's Guide

Has anyone ever heard of the Maker Double Star?

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of the Maker Double Star?
    Double Star has a decent rep. as a rather small operation manufacturer. Many here will tell you that any of the entre level AR's are nothing but "hobby" guns and not suited for HD work or any other "serious" work and this includes makers like Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic, Stag, Del Ton, Rock River. Its been a big heated topic lately. Do a search and see these posts. I certainly think the rifles made by makers like LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Charlie Co, and some other hi end makers are generally better rifles with features that may make them more reliable over the long haul but the lower end rifles by makers like Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic, Stag, Del Ton, Rock River are serving thousands of owner well so get all the knowledge you can be fore you make up your mind. I would rate the S&W 15 as a "mid level" rifle that would likely serve your needs well.

If you download the latest CDNN flyer/catalog they have the M&P AR on sale for less than $800 with 5 free mags and some other free items. Its a great deal, likely the best going for the S&W AR.

Download the catalog from here and the rifle is on the front page
    http://www.cdnninvestments.com/
    Last edited by pirate; February 25th, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links