Can't decide: AR 15 or M14?

This is a discussion on Can't decide: AR 15 or M14? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Black Knight That is if hunting deer with a military rifle is your cup of tea. People have been doing that for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't decide: AR 15 or M14?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    That is if hunting deer with a military rifle is your cup of tea.

People have been doing that for centuries. All in all out of the two option I would opt for the M14 and get a pistol in 40, 45, 9 or a 357 mag for your defensive purpose. No pistol permit? then get a rifle in one of the above or even get a semi-auto 12gauge and forget the rest.

2. Remove Ads

Too many people have walked away from 5.56 wounds for my comfort. 7.62 is the way to go.
    Garand type actions are much more reliable than AR's.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Too many people have walked away from 5.56 wounds for my comfort. 7.62 is the way to go.
    Having been shot 5 times one day with 7.62, and having seen first hand the damage done from about the same range with a 5.56, I am a solid 5.56 believer.

I still feel the 7.62s 40 years later, but the same hits from a 5.56 would have left me feeling nothing.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

I love my M1A. Don't get to shoot it very often. I plan to collect all US Army main battle rifles. M16/M14/M1..etc. Maybe you could just do that, and not have to decide which one to get.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Having been shot 5 times one day with 7.62, and having seen first hand the damage done from about the same range with a 5.56, I am a solid 5.56 believer.

I still feel the 7.62s 40 years later, but the same hits from a 5.56 would have left me feeling nothing.

7.62x51? or 7.62x39?

And yes, You get hits in fragmentation range of the 5.56 round and it is quite impressive.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

DMM

M14/M1A or AR15

I've shot both, in combat, and while the AR15 has come a ways from the first issue it is still a weapon that requires constant attention to keep it reliable. When I was issued the AR15 I bought a 45 on the black market to carry as a backup, and yes, I needed it. If you want shoot all day reliability under harsh conditions go with the M1A. Accruate to 500m with iron sights, better penetration and great stopping power. At 9+ lbs it's no fun to hump and the weight of the ammo reduces your round count for a combat load.

There is another option however. The ruger Mini-14 is an M14 action in a 223. Popular as an open range or ranch rifle it offers M14 reliabiltiy with 223 ammo cost. Light, compact with multiple stock configurations, optics and options. The very best news is that the base config is around $600.00 and you can option it up from there. Gives you a small, 5-30 round, magazine fed carbine, in the lower cost 223. Add red dot optics to the 30 round mag and you have a pretty good urban defense package that can still drop a cyote at 300 meters or further with better optics. Great bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    7.62x51? or 7.62x39?

And yes, You get hits in fragmentation range of the 5.56 round and it is quite impressive.
    39...standard AK circa 1969
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    I've shot both, in combat, and while the AR15 has come a ways from the first issue it is still a weapon that requires constant attention to keep it reliable. When I was issued the AR15 I bought a 45 on the black market to carry as a backup, and yes, I needed it. If you want shoot all day reliability under harsh conditions go with the M1A. Accruate to 500m with iron sights, better penetration and great stopping power. At 9+ lbs it's no fun to hump and the weight of the ammo reduces your round count for a combat load.

There is another option however. The ruger Mini-14 is an M14 action in a 223. Popular as an open range or ranch rifle it offers M14 reliabiltiy with 223 ammo cost. Light, compact with multiple stock configurations, optics and options. The very best news is that the base config is around $600.00 and you can option it up from there. Gives you a small, 5-30 round, magazine fed carbine, in the lower cost 223. Add red dot optics to the 30 round mag and you have a pretty good urban defense package that can still drop a cyote at 300 meters or further with better optics. Great bang for the buck.
    My solution to the "reliability or effective ammo" issue is a Saiga .223. Actually chambered for 5.56 NATO and built by Izhmash on an AK frame. It requires some restoration (using American made parts to avoid 922(r) issues) since they had to replace the stock with a sporting configuration and take off the pistol grip to import them, but base price is only about $350 here.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    That is demonstrably not true, and proven by battlefield and laboratory testing.

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    I've shot both, in combat, and while the AR15 has come a ways from the first issue it is still a weapon that requires constant attention to keep it reliable.
    B.S.

I've shot both ARs and AKs "in combat" and find that if you aren't an idiot, and keep your AR lubed, it needs little to no attention to keep it reliable.

The Guys with the M14s, on the other hand, eventually ended up leaving them in the arms room, because of maintenance issue after maintenance issue that came up.

You can get an AR in 5.56 and an additional upper in 6.8SPC (or something really unusual like .50 Beowulf) for around the same price as an M1A. The 6.8 has better ballistics than the 7.62x51 in many circumstances, and the AR will in almost any configuration be shorter, lighter, more modular, and cheaper to run than the M1A.
    All said right there; Unless you just have to have an M-14, I would just stick with the AR platform; there is nothing you can't do with one as far as caliber selection, and ARs in calibers like 6.5 Grendel are driving the M-1As off the line at Camp Perry, so accuracy is not a reason either.

Go with the AR, you can change top ends in 5 minutes and change the gun from a fighter to a tack driver......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

los
    Monetarily speaking, if you intend on maintaining the AR in it's stock, factory condition, go with it. Once you start adding optics, aftermarket parts, accessories and endless cool factor gadgets, it'll end up costing you three (3) times the price of a decent M14.

At that juncture, the [inexpensive] cost of 5.56 ammo vs. 7.62, will be a moot.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Monetarily speaking, if you intend on maintaining the AR in it's stock, factory condition, go with it. Once you start adding optics, aftermarket parts, accessories and endless cool factor gadgets, it'll end up costing you three (3) times the price of a decent M14.

At that juncture, the [inexpensive] cost of 5.56 ammo vs. 7.62, will be a moot.
    ..and the money spent on optics and lights will leave you with a more capable weapon.

"ooh ooh look at mine ive got a foregrip and a flashlight and 6 rails and a green lazer and a red dot and a scope and and and..."

I find most of the things people attach to thier AR's stupid. Its like those hondas you see driving around with the mismatched parts that dont do anything but "look cool". people will complain about an m14's weight but dont think twice to add 6 or 7lbs of random things to the end of thier AR's.

Honday TAP basically explodes inside of a person. Much better fragmentation than 5.56. Probably because of the much higher energies and larger weight bullet. Some Military FMJ will fragment like crazy as well (not USA made).

The 7.62nato can do pretty much everything 5.56 can do but better. The problem is are you willing to pay for it?

If you plan on getting one gun and one gun only, the m1a scout or ar-10 can do everything from plinking/cqc to long range hunting. If you just want to run around your backyard like a madman punching holes in things, get the 5.56. Its so plentiful and cheap.

Both are reliable, the m1a has much less aftermarket, but how much aftermarket stuff do you really need?

I chose the AR. When taking all things into consideration, the versatility and availability of parts and accessories for the AR made the choice easy.

Along with it being my SD, SHTF rifle, I did want something I could run around the yard and shoot holes in stuff without going broke doing it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links