Can't decide: AR 15 or M14? - Page 4

Can't decide: AR 15 or M14?

This is a discussion on Can't decide: AR 15 or M14? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Therealkoop "ooh ooh look at mine ive got a foregrip and a flashlight and 6 rails and a green lazer and a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can't decide: AR 15 or M14?

Quote Originally Posted by Therealkoop View Post
    "ooh ooh look at mine ive got a foregrip and a flashlight and 6 rails and a green lazer and a red dot and a scope and and and..."

I find most of the things people attach to thier AR's stupid. Its like those hondas you see driving around with the mismatched parts that dont do anything but "look cool". people will complain about an m14's weight but dont think twice to add 6 or 7lbs of random things to the end of thier AR's.

Honday TAP basically explodes inside of a person. Much better fragmentation than 5.56. Probably because of the much higher energies and larger weight bullet. Some Military FMJ will fragment like crazy as well (not USA made).

The 7.62nato can do pretty much everything 5.56 can do but better. The problem is are you willing to pay for it?

If you plan on getting one gun and one gun only, the m1a scout or ar-10 can do everything from plinking/cqc to long range hunting. If you just want to run around your backyard like a madman punching holes in things, get the 5.56. Its so plentiful and cheap.

Both are reliable, the m1a has much less aftermarket, but how much aftermarket stuff do you really need?
    An optic is stupid? A light to ID your target is stupid? A VFG that enhances control of the weapon is stupid?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Both high capacity, high rate of fire. But . . . ever see a sniper's rifle in .223?

Get the M14.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Both high capacity, high rate of fire. But . . . ever see a sniper's rifle in .223?

Get the M14.
    Sure. That has nothing to do with using a rifle for HD, but here are some 5.56 precision rifles.

Last edited by Texag; April 26th, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Get the M14.
    Yep. I know several PDs that have transitioned to .223 due to the effectiveness in their typical range of use, plus what I consider an unreasonable fear of overpenetration.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have a M1a scout and a full size M1a I also have a noveske sbr and a precession AR. I love them all but find myself generally grabbing the 5.56 over the. 308
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    An optic is stupid? A light to ID your target is stupid? A VFG that enhances control of the weapon is stupid?
    them durn gun snobs.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Rob99VMI04: I have a M1a scout and a full size M1a.

Since you don't use them much-want to sell one?? If you do, PM me............
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Well glad this all helped make your decision. This topic has come up several times on many different forums. I think you made the right decision for yourself the M-14/M1A rifles are from a different time in life when wood and steel made the gun. They are heavy, can be an absolute pain to mount optics on, mags can be expensive, ammo is expensive and they, in my opinion, are not good beginner guns to start out with. I am fortunate to have live in a state where obtaining battle rifles has be fairly easy over the years. I have my M1A, G-3, FN/FAL L1A1, Yugo underfolder and a couple of others that escape me at the moment. For my .223 I chose a Sig 556 for something new and different.
    The choice is all in what you are gonna use it for, your budget and your skill level. Hope you have fun with it.

Personally, I just don't think you'll be happy until you have both!

So really it's a question of which one do you get first!

They both have applications unique to that platform and getting one of them won't lessen your desire for the other.

Simply to help you narrow the choice on which to get first...

If you live in an urban or metropolitan area, go for the AR-15 first. If you live in a rural area, go for the M1A .30 caliber first.

When it comes to military type rifles, I have a Colt AR-15 Govt. Carbine, an FN/FAL L1A1, Russian SKS, FN-98 .30-06 and now I'm really Jonesin' for the Springfield M1A Scout/Squad
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links